Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Pigs and pussies!

Author Topic: Pigs and pussies!
Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 12-19-2003 05:12 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If anyone fancies a somewhat unusual Christmas break this year, Pine Creek is the place to head for. It's probably worth leaving the dynamite at home, though...

quote:

'Pig and Pussy' cull in Outback town angers animal lovers
by Nick Squires in Sydney

Australian animal lovers are outraged at an Outback town's plan to hold a Christmas 'pig and pussy hunt', in which wild boar and feral cats will be shot, knifed, dynamited and run over.

Up to 100 hunters from all over Australia are converging on the former gold mining town of Pine Creek, in the Northern Territory, to take part in the hunt, which starts at dawn on Boxing Day.

Organisers say the aim is to wipe out as many wild pigs and cats as possible. Both species are blamed for killing millions of native Australian animals each year, including endangered mammals, lizards, snakes and birds. 'We don't care how you kill them, just as long as you get rid of them,' said organiser Rod Haines, a hunter who runs Pine Creek's Lazy Lizard caravan park.

'You can shoot them from a helicopter, run them over on the road, get them with a bow and arrow or chuck a stick of dynamite at them,' he enthused. He added that the last option is not recommended, after hunters strapped a stick of dynamite to a wild pig a few years ago and lit the fuse. The creature promptly bolted under their car, blowing itself and the hunters' vehicle to pieces.

There are an estimated 2.5 million feral pigs in the Northern Territory, and the larger males are renowned for their ferocity and razor-sharp tusks. Most hunters will pursue them at night with 'pig dogs', usually bull mastiffs or pit bull terriers equipped with rubber body armour. Once the dogs have dragged the boar down, hunters move in with long knives, stabbing the animal behind the shoulder blades and piercing its heart. Feral cats are harder to kill, and are usually shot with the aid of a spotlight.

'Anything which steps off the veranda is fair game,' Mr. Haines said. 'You can knock off a neighbour's cat if it's not been locked up at night, as it should be. I'm not a cruel man but these animals are wiping out our wildlife. We are just giving Mother Nature a helping hand.'

Jim McNally, head of the RSPCA in the Northern Territory, said: 'They chase the pig until it is terrified and exhausted, and then cut its throat. It's cruel and inhumane.'

From The Daily Telegraph, 19 December 2003, p. 13.

|  IP: Logged

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 12-19-2003 05:33 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
...and all this time I thought Australia was a compassionate, civil country with smart people. Wrong! At least some there have proven to be total assholes. Probably the same percentage as here and everywhere else.

It's fitting that Mr. Haines calls the slaughter "Pig and Pussy Hunt", since he himself seems to be the King Kunt... [fu] [puke]

I can buy into a humane hunt, but this certainly is NOT indicative of a sane group of people.

>>> Phil

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-19-2003 11:11 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not a big fan of hunting free-for-alls like this. Running an "amateur hour" style contest is no way to conduct animal control. But make no mistake, these feral cats and pigs (and other animals like once domesticated goats now wild) need to be eliminated. It's easy to label the hunters as assholes. The real assholes are the dumbf**k pet owners and farmers too damned lazy to keep their pets and livestock on a short, controlled leash.

It is a fact feral cats are second only to people in environmental destruction. Cats allowed to run loose by settlers on the Galapagos Islands killed off most of the animal species there. Domestic house cats breed at very prodigious rates and do little to control their own population, a trait which differentiates them totally apart from the various species of larger predatory cats. We have predatory cats here in southwestern Oklahoma. There's a decent number of bobcats, but you don't see as many of them as coyotes. We even have mountain lions patrolling tributaries of the Red River and parts of the Wichita Mountains. Unlike domestic house cats, these cats have terrority they do not share with hordes of their own kind.

I suppose people can bitch about this hunt in Austrailia if they like. But many Americans will do so with a certain level of hypocrisy. In the United States, various animal control centers put hundreds of millions of unwanted dogs and cats to death every year --all thanks to lazy ass people who can't live up to their DUTIES as pet owners (fuck that "responsibility" word --if it is a living creature that depends on you taking care of it, then the word "duty" definitely applies).

In my opinion people should have some kind of license to own pets. The license itself should be somewhat easy to obtain, provided you have a job, a home and are thus able to provide and take care of a pet. But points would be taken off the license if your pet runs loose. You loose points for not keeping the animal's shots up to date. You take much bigger hits for animal neglect or for letting your dog get run over and turned into road pizza. If your pit bull mauls someone, or you're found participating in a dog fighting game, you lose your rights to ever own a pet again for the rest of your life. It doesn't matter if it is a f**king hamster.

Lots of people get pets on impulse without even considering if they can handle the responsibility. Some don't even bother considering if their living arrangements will even allow for pets (the apartment super won't allow them, one of the kids is deathly allergic to cat dander, etc.). They just get the pet and deal with the other problems later. And often that means the pet gets dumped off at the roadside or off at the pound. It adds up --up to the tune of hundreds of millions of euthanized animals every damned year.

Liam Utley
Film Handler

- posted 12-21-2003 05:55 AM      Profile for Liam Utley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally I don't think compassion should be shown to these pests. So many native Australian animals are endangered due to introduced species gone feral. Not only are they a danger for the wildlife, but they also cost farmers a lot of money each year. I'm all for killing them, but I agree that dynamite is a bit extreme. I just hope there's not too much alcohol involved in this event...

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 12-24-2003 09:30 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In my opinion people should have some kind of license to own pets. The license itself should be somewhat easy to obtain, provided you have a job, a home and are thus able to provide and take care of a pet. But points would be taken off the license if your pet runs loose. You loose points for not keeping the animal's shots up to date. You take much bigger hits for animal neglect or for letting your dog get run over and turned into road pizza. If your pit bull mauls someone, or you're found participating in a dog fighting game, you lose your rights to ever own a pet again for the rest of your life. It doesn't matter if it is a f**king hamster.
That is kind of what happens here. You don't need a licence to own a pet in the first place (at least I don't think you do - there were dog licences at one point, but I think they've now been abolished), but if you are convicted of either an animal cruelty offence, or your animal assaults another human, that is a criminal offence for which you can be fined, banned from keeping animals or even imprisoned in extreme cases. This is what happened in the earlier incident cited in this story:

quote:
Anne's dog 'kills Queen's corgi'

One of the Queen's corgis has been bitten so badly by an English bull terrier owned by Princess Anne it has had to be put down, it is reported. The corgi, Pharos, was attacked by the princess's dog Dotty at Sandringham on Monday, according to newspaper reports.

Princess Anne became the first Royal Family member to be convicted of a criminal offence when Dotty attacked two children last year. She was fined £500 and ordered to keep the animal on a lead in public places.

Monday's events had left the Queen 'distraught', the Daily Mail reported. Buckingham Palace has refused to comment on the alleged incident.

Children bitten

The Queen's love for her corgis is well known and they were last seen in public milling around the feet of England's World Cup rugby stars at a reception at Buckingham Palace earlier this month.

Princess Anne appeared before magistrates in November 2002 and pleaded guilty to a charge that one of her dogs attacked two children in Windsor Great Park.

In that attack, a 12-year-old boy suffered a bite on the collarbone and two bites to the left leg while a seven-year-old boy was left with scratch marks on a leg, his back and an arm. The children's parents were angry that the princess escaped with a fine and the dog was not put down.

However at the time the judge at Slough magistrates court warned any future attacks could result in Dotty being destroyed.

This seems to me a classic case of the syndrome Bobby and Liam identify - irresponsible pet owners. But because she was a royal, she got away with it the first time.

Mr. Haines is clearly an asshole of the sort you get anywhere, but when you get an out-of-control situation of the sort he thinks he is trying to address - in this case domesticated or farmed animals running wild - the assholes tend to move in if the authorities stick their heads in the sand...

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-24-2003 12:38 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the subject of pit bull terriers, we have all sorts of people in the United States getting killed or viciously mauled by these dogs (or other highly aggressive dog breeds like rotweilers, chows, presecanarians, etc.) There is a kind of fashion of owning pit bulls. No offense intended to anyone in this forum who has such a dog, but typically if you show me a pit bull owner I'll show you a rap-gangsta wannabe or white trailer trash miscreant. Anyone who enjoys a good pit bull fighting match is a bloodthirsty lowlife scumbag who shouldn't even be allowed to be a parent much less a pet owner.

It is possible for people to own a dog like a pit bull without it going nuts and trying to kill something. But it takes a hell of a lot of extra responsibility and work to keep that animal under control. Many dumbasses out there (Princess Anne included) just don't take it seriously. As a result, many cities are instituting outright bans against such dogs. Joe Redifer could correct me on this, but I think Denver just passed an anti-pit bull ordinance.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-24-2003 08:47 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
People who find it necessary to own big, overly aggressive dogs are probably compensating for something much smaller and less-aggressive. [Smile]

=TMP=

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2003 08:52 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Right-on, Thomas!

I have 3 rather small cats.

In my travels with my job, I see alot of pit bulls, and rotweillers tied up outside of trailers allover the place. The dog owners are scared of the dogs. What the hell is that?

I think that any dog will be gentle if he/she is raised in a gentle environment.

I bet that Princess Anne will lose her dog now. You cant mess with the Queen! I think I know how the Queen feels about the loss of her pet. It happened so suddenly, and was over so quickly. I bet she never forgets it.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: