Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Those people at the MPAA are out of their freaking minds! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Those people at the MPAA are out of their freaking minds!
Douglas Carmichael
Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2003 12:05 AM      Profile for Douglas Carmichael     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tonight when I was watching COPS on FOX, they ran the MPAA spot about 'how you're depriving thousands of their jobs if you pirate our content.' (With reference to the respectcopyrights.org site)

COME ON! I'm as much for giving industry people the jobs and payment they deserve, but if they can't plug the leaks in their own house, they have NO right to use 'fear' advertising and to treat consumers like criminals. Don't you agree?
(I'd be honest enough not to let unauthorized copies of something I'm working on get into the wrong hands.)

And here's a quote from the Junior Achievement propaganda linked to on that site:

quote:
I am a young and talented singer. I am
just getting started in the business and
have created my first CD. I write all of
my own music based on my personal
experiences. I am working hard to get
my name out to the public. I am starting
to perform my music and have just
signed on with a big record label. I am
starting to experience the success I have
hoped for since I started singing and
writing music. Illegal “file-swapping”
has turned my dreams into nightmares. All of my efforts and
struggles are for nothing. My CD sales are poor because
everyone is downloading my songs for free from the Internet.
Now the recording company does not want to invest in
producing a new CD of my latest songs. What people don’t
realize is that it is ruining my career. Just imagine working
your whole life for a dream and having someone ruin it. Every
time someone takes my music and file shares it, I lose money.
Talk about unfair!

Tell that to the many artists (Phish, Gov't Mule, The Radiators (who even give out soundboard patches to their fans), etc.) who have capitalized on the taping/trading scene and ALLOWED their fans to trade live shows (but NOT studio albums) as a way of building and keeping a fanbase. How 'poor' are they?

|  IP: Logged

Gracia L. Babbidge
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2003 02:12 AM      Profile for Gracia L. Babbidge   Author's Homepage   Email Gracia L. Babbidge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is my understanding that bands tend to only make money by going on tour. It's the record companies that make money off the artists' albums.

Oh yeah, Phish rules! [thumbsup]

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2003 02:33 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
www.disrespectcopyrights.org/

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 12-14-2003 04:22 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
www.disrespectcopyrights.org
Although I don't completely agree with everything he has to say, I've always enjoyed Lawrence Lessig's comments. They are always, at the very least, thought provoking.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 12-14-2003 04:54 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder how much money has been thrown out of the window to hire advertisement agencies for those ads, how many highly paid writers they hired to write those sappy texts.

Greg Anderson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2003 07:56 AM      Profile for Greg Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In some of the ads out there, they show some "below the line" film crew members who say that piracy hurts them. But, since most people who work on film crews are paid up front for their work, there's no direct effect on them if the finished movie makes lots of money or not. So the only way that piracy hurts a rank-and-file film crew worker is through (drumroll, please) trickle-down economics. If the producers are losing money then they can't make as many movies and hire those rank-and-file guys as often. But try to find a Hollywood celebrity who's going to tell America that trickle-down economics is a valid concept. So, what's it going to be, Hollywood? Do you believe in trickle-down economics or not? Or does this ad campaign underscore the idealogical disagreements between the MPAA powers-that-be and the $20-million-a-pop celebrities in Hollywood?

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2003 11:43 AM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greg refers to an anti-piracy ad produced by an MPAA front group. The AMC Hamilton has for now stopped running that ad within the preshow.

Maybe AMC was afraid the Bad Santa would haul off on one of those below-the-line workers. [Wink]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-14-2003 01:43 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're right... the MPAA is out of their minds... They should've said instead that for each and every individual pirate copy of a movie that thousands lose their jobs and also that the family and children of the newly unemployed people are starving and raped twice a day. Actually I am not suprised they didn't say that.

PS - Pirates don't give a rat's ass about anything the MPAA has to say, guaranteed.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2003 03:28 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Just imagine working
your whole life for a dream and having someone ruin it.

This happens to me every day. [Frown]

=TMP=

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 12-14-2003 04:59 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The title of this thread contains some grammar defects. It should read:

"The MPAA is out of its mind" or perhaps "out of its collective mind" but it is simply wrong to say that the MPAA is (singular) out of their minds (plural).

ALTERNATIVELY, we might prefer the plural and go with "those people at the MPAA are out of their minds." Personally this is the direction I would go with because, after all, the MPAA doesn't have a mind of its own so it seems more logical to fault the many and various individuals involved, necessitating the use of the plural form.

Also, only one exclamation point (!) is needed. Multiple exclamation points are the mark of an amateur. Instead, why not use an adjective to add a sense of color and despair. For example:

"Those people at the MPAA are out of their freaking minds!"

I would hate for these points of grammar to remain overlooked and allowed to create "Grammar Drama" for any of the younger readers of this otherwise fine website.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 12-14-2003 05:44 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
the MPAA doesn't have a mind of its own
I disagree. I think the group shares a single mind. I haven't yet figured out how they keep track of whose ass it's being kept in.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-14-2003 06:38 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Correct grammar is not as important as finding and murdering movie pirates!

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 12-14-2003 07:11 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
...sez Joe while holding his trusty video camera. [beer]

>>> Phil

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-15-2003 05:56 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Also, only one exclamation point (!) is needed.
while it's commonly used, i think you'll agree that "exclamation point" is an aberrant term. "exclamation line and point" would be more accurate. i prefer "exclamation mark", based on the model of "question mark". you wouldn't say "question point", would you?????

carl

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-15-2003 01:29 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Clearly, we need to refer this thread to "Mister Language Person," aka Dave Barry. [Big Grin]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: