Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Woman trampled unconcious over DVD player (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Woman trampled unconcious over DVD player
Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-29-2003 01:11 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is the link.
-----
Woman Knocked Unconscious While Shopping
ORANGE CITY, Fla. - A mob of shoppers rushing for a sale on DVD players trampled the first woman in line and knocked her unconscious as they scrambled for the shelves at a Wal-Mart Supercenter.

Patricia VanLester had her eye on a $29 DVD player, but when the siren blared at 6 a.m. Friday announcing the start to the post-Thanksgiving sale, the 41-year-old was knocked to the ground by the frenzy of shoppers behind her.

"She got pushed down, and they walked over her like a herd of elephants," said VanLester's sister, Linda Ellzey. "I told them, `Stop stepping on my sister! She's on the ground!'"

Ellzey said some shoppers tried to help VanLester, and one employee helped Ellzey reach her sister, but most people just continued their rush for deals.

"All they cared about was a stupid DVD player," she said Saturday.

Paramedics called to the store found VanLester unconscious on top of a DVD player, surrounded by shoppers seemingly oblivious to her, said Mark O'Keefe, a spokesman for EVAC Ambulance.

She was flown to Halifax Medical Center in Daytona Beach, where doctors told the family VanLester had a seizure after she was knocked down and would likely remain hospitalized through the weekend, Ellzey said. Hospital officials said Saturday they did not have any information on her condition.

"She's all black and blue," Ellzey said. "Patty doesn't remember anything. She still can't believe it all happened."

Ellzey said Wal-Mart officials called later Friday to ask about her sister, and the store apologized and offered to put a DVD player on hold for her.

Wal-Mart Stores spokeswoman Karen Burk said she had never heard of a such a melee during a sale.

"We are very disappointed this happened," Burk said. "We want her to come back as a shopper."

-----

Commentary:

Proof that Americans are the most voraciously despicable consumers on the planet. Who cares if someone is dying under my feet? I must BUY BUY BUY meaningless cheap gifts for people so that I can do my part in boosting the economy. Besides, they'll probably hold the merchandise for when she gets out of the hospital! And for what?!? Half the shit will end up returned or in a landfill anyway.

Seriously, what the hell did the store expect lining shoppers up ourside and blaring a siren? People are sheep and will herd when called. Stores thrive on this shit. They know when one animal wants something the other has, they'll stop at nothing. They should make it illegal to line up thousands of people -- clearly more than the store can handle -- and then let them all in at once. Set up turnstiles! Ropes! Corral the animals!

Attention Wal-Mart Shoppers, there's a sale on Aisle 5, so get spaztic with your plastic, man it's great to be alive! [Mad]

=TMP=

|  IP: Logged

Travis Hubrig
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-29-2003 03:58 PM      Profile for Travis Hubrig   Email Travis Hubrig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the store should be held responsible...
They need to be responsible for crowds and the possibility of someone getting hurt because of their lack of control at their facility. If someone got trampled at a theatre, I guarantee there would be a lawsuit.

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-29-2003 04:00 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
TMP,

I'll be the first to say it publicly here...watch a lawsuit come about out of this incident. ok, so Travis beat me to it, but we had to be typing at the same time..

And IMO, Wal-Mart should be held liable for all her medical expenses. It peeves me that people are so damned desperate to save a buck that they get up at who knows when in the AM and fight one another for parking, line space, and items within the store(s). I went to Belk on my way to work Friday AM to grab a couple pair of jeans... there were a decent amount of folks in the store and each register had no less than 10 people in it. I turned around and walked out. %30 savings aren't worth the hassle to me. It was, however, refreshing to see how theatre patrons must feel while waiting in our ticketing/consession lines. Granted, we have a higher concentration of people in a given location at one time for more specific time frame obligations....

Stories like this depress me... and they piss me off. [Mad]

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 11-29-2003 05:43 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
How nice ... Wal-Mart's gonna place a DVD player "on hold" for her. That means she's still gotta pay for it.

Floyd Justin Newton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-29-2003 06:50 PM      Profile for Floyd Justin Newton   Email Floyd Justin Newton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just goes to prove...GREED "Knows-No-Boundries".

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 11-29-2003 06:54 PM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Walmart couldn't give her the DVD player for free. That would be considered a gift, and admitting they were in the wrong.

Although it would be nice for them to do so (and she deserves it, and MUCH more), it would be stupid business if they did.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-29-2003 07:06 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I guess here's another good reason to join in the Wal- Mart boycott. They are as bad as DTS about sweeping major haooennings under the rug so to say..... Walmart really does suck!
This kind of reminds me of that old Jery Lewis film called The Big Store....the part where Jerry is left standing in just his underwear after the mad sale rush.....
She'd be far better off sueing them for millions in light of all the publicity this has already received.

Mark

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-29-2003 07:25 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would beware of the next stampede: the one on the way to the repair center for those $29 cheapie DVD players. You get what you pay for. Sure, Americans can cry and whine about millions of manufacturing jobs and now white collar high tech jobs getting exported overseas. But when you are enough of a selfish, shortsighted dumbass to only buy on basis of getting the cheapest price --then you deserve to get your damned job exported too.
[fu]

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 11-29-2003 08:28 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The newspaper here is running a series of articles about Wal-Mart and its business tactics. I'm convinced that Wal-Mart is a creation of the devil himself. It's evil, I tells ya!! [evil]

Now excuse me -- I've gotta run out and see if I can snag one of those $29 DVD players...

Jeff Stricker
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2003 06:57 AM      Profile for Jeff Stricker   Email Jeff Stricker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Amen, it used to be the blue color jobs were exported offshore; now that most are gone, there's a mad rush to export white color technical jobs. Engineers in India will work for 1/6 of what they are paid in the States or Europe. You can bet that Walmart DVD player came from somewhere overseas --- it wasn't designed in US or Europe, either!! [thumbsdown]

Merry Christmas [Mad]

Jesse Stanley
Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2003 10:13 AM      Profile for Jesse Stanley   Email Jesse Stanley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I give most of them $29 dvd players 6 months and they will not be able to read half of the DVD's.

Mike Fitzgerald
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2003 11:32 PM      Profile for Mike Fitzgerald   Email Mike Fitzgerald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My wife went to Wal Mart Friday morning for one of the Foreman grills for our daughter and after waiting for a hour in line the person in front of her cleaned out the pallet took about 40 of them for his cart and would not share any. I complained to the store manager who acted like he could care less and I wrote to them. Lets see if I even get a answer.

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2003 11:37 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,

Don't bet on getting a reply. The old addage 'first come first served' and 'while quantities last' will be the line they feed you of they do bother to take the time to reply.

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 12-01-2003 12:01 AM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, remember they are there to make money. If a customer that gets there first wants 40 of the same item, who is the store to turn them away as long as they are paying for them. There is no limit on the quantity you can buy. Might not seem fair, but...

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 12-01-2003 02:18 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And IMO, Wal-Mart should be held liable for all her medical expenses.
Sorry, I don't agree. That's like saying that if a drunk and uninsured driver crashes into you at 80mph and gives you a serious injury, the manufacturer of the car should be held responsible. The yobs who trampled all over her should be held liable for her medical expenses... after they've been thrown into jail for a very long time.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: