Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » STEP INTO LIQUID

Author Topic: STEP INTO LIQUID
Kevin Baglow
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-28-2003 11:04 PM      Profile for Kevin Baglow   Author's Homepage   Email Kevin Baglow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been offered a date in late Janurary for my cinema in OZ. The distributor tells me ROLLING STONE called it 'the best surfing doco ever'. I see it's showing across the US. Can any one tell me how it's performing?

|  IP: Logged

Dennis Udovich
Film Handler

- posted 11-28-2003 11:58 PM      Profile for Dennis Udovich   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Udovich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Played the movie for 2 weeks in Sheboygan, Wis. 15 minutes of fame for Sheboygan on Lake Michigan. On opening night, local surfers in the film discussed it with our audience. I believe every surfer in the area attended the film. I think the whole run total was 100 patrons. The movie is a good documentary.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 11-29-2003 04:56 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I believe every surfer in the area attended the film. I think the whole run total was 100 patrons.
I believe every surfer here also attended the film. I think the whole run total was something like 10.000 patrons.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 11-29-2003 05:09 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you usually get parts of whole patrons showing up? You seem pretty confident that exactly ten were in attendance. [Wink]

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 11-29-2003 05:16 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I meant 10 thousand. Actually, I don`t know how many guests we had for this movie, but my point was that it played really well here for a long time because obviously there are tons of surfers here in Southern California. If Kevin`s location is in an area where a lot of surfers surface (pun intended, even if it`s not a really good one), the movie will do very well.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-29-2003 02:22 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Step In to Liquid did very well in large surfing areas. Even though there is a strong surfing community in Sonoma County, the film didn't do well here. I went to see it at the Raven in Healdsburg and they had a scratched print and 7 people in the audience. Looking beyond the scratches, it's a pretty good surfing movie.

Don Bruechert
Mmmmmmmmm, bird!

- posted 11-29-2003 04:54 PM      Profile for Don Bruechert   Author's Homepage   Email Don Bruechert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I remember correctly and am not lying (oldfartitis sets in on occasion), there are some Manitowoc people cast in minor roles in Master and Commander, and they were in the theater the afternoon of opening day answering questions for customers, etc - went over quite well. The movie folks also donated 3 complete costumes to the Wisconsin Maritime Museum here in Manitowoc, along with a number of annoying free passes that we didn't know exactly what to do with... They were from the studio, and since we're in the 85 - 90% bracket yet on this film we just figured it was only costing us about 75 cents anyway and just let the people in on passes.... If somebody bitches, then I guess they shouldn't have handed them out without telling the theaters what to do with them!

Local folks in a movie do sometimes help the attendance!

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2003 12:21 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The UA East Hampton played Step Into Liquid for 3 weeks in late August-early September. It was an unusual booking: Eastern Long Island isn't known for surfing and there was a lot of other arthouse product out at the time.

Artisan released Step Into Liquid unrated in the US -- kind of strange for a movie that would have gotten a PG rating at worst.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 11-30-2003 12:27 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regal Cinema World 8 ran it here this summer. As I recall it was only there for 1 week though. They might have done OK with the college crowd (UO is here) but that's just speculation.

Brian D. Whitish
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2003 01:13 AM      Profile for Brian D. Whitish   Email Brian D. Whitish   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here in Seattle it ran at my theatre, the Guild 45th, in DLP. It did pretty good business for the 4 weeks we had it. It then ran another week in 35mm at the Varsity Theatre.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: