Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Old Timers (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Old Timers
Gary Crawford
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-25-2003 12:19 PM      Profile for Gary Crawford   Email Gary Crawford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since I'm new here, I thought I'd inquire as to the oldtimers in residence.

I started in 1972 (at 17 years of age) as the relief projectionist in the Asbury Park NJ area. We had 13 theatres in our IATSE jurisdiction (plus 3 more in the next local's area I worked). They were ALL single-screen, two-projector, arc lamp operations. A few were circa 1929, the last updates were Western Electric sound systems. Some of the places were old palaces from the 1920-1930s, balconies, full stages, etc., plus 3 drive-ins. As relief man I got to work in all of them before being assigned my "own" booth. Wouldn't trade those days away for anything.

|  IP: Logged

Gordon Bachlund
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-25-2003 12:26 PM      Profile for Gordon Bachlund   Author's Homepage   Email Gordon Bachlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gary, I started in much the same way in the 1950s, and continued working relief through my college days and for a while thereafter. Then, in 1972, a friend and I re-opened two closed neighborhood houses and ran them successfully for several years, finally closing down in 1976. Both had carbon arc changeover booths.

Those were the days!

Gary Crawford
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-25-2003 12:54 PM      Profile for Gary Crawford   Email Gary Crawford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yessir Gordon, I miss those days!

We had 2 in the area that still had 3 projectors. Run the cartoons and coming attractions on #3. They also had effects machines that STILL WORKED! One place was an atmospheric and the two Brenographs still worked and we projected moving clouds on the ceiling.

Every last one of the places (except for the drive-ins of course) had working curtains. Something about presenting a SHOW (as opposed to just showing a movie) in those old barns! Those old places had charm.

We have a modern Loew's monster-plex near here that I visited to pick up a print. I was not impressed. That place had all the charm of an airport terminal.

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-25-2003 02:49 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Started in '45 as an usher and "Marquee Boy" at the California theatre (later named the UA) in Pomona, California where my dad was projectionist. Became a union operator (I.A. Local 577 San Bernardino, CA) and got my own booth at the State theatre in that same city in '50. After service in the Air Force I chose to work as a relief operator for various locals up and down the west coast from Long Beach, CA to Santa Maria, Sacramento, San Jose, Seattle and Everett in both drive-ins and hardtops. Operated just about every brand of projector and lamphouse you can name. All were carbon arc/changeover two machine operations except the Crest in Sacto which had three machines. I used the third for trailers and shorts. Left the booth in '70 but occasionally worked and kept abreast of the changes in the industry through trade journals. Currently planning to re-inter the field by opening theatres in rural and small town areas.

Paul Goulet
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-26-2003 12:48 PM      Profile for Paul Goulet   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Goulet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HEY OLD-TIMERS! How about posting this in the "WHo the Heck Are you Thread"? [Big Grin]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-26-2003 12:55 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, please do.

Thread closed

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 11-26-2003 04:43 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
You mean, 'The "WHO THE HECK ARE YOU??" guy...' with NO MEMBER PHOTO! [evil]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-26-2003 06:03 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, that's the guy. Clearly an evil fellow. [Razz]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-26-2003 06:37 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think he should send in a member photo, or we delete his thread. [evil]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-26-2003 09:10 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, that's a good idea. What does everyone else think?

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 11-26-2003 09:28 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think we should make the forums run slower for people who don't have member pics. [evil]

Adam Martin

- posted 11-26-2003 09:45 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
We should re-institute the member pic requirement for the chatroom.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 11-26-2003 09:47 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That won't annoy people that don't go in the chatroom though.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-26-2003 10:46 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Who's for throttling the bandwidth down to about 5kbps for anyone without a member picture?

Adam Martin

- posted 11-26-2003 11:10 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Everyone should experience 300 baud at least once in their lifetime.

No, wait. Members without photos should only be able to access the site with Lynx. [evil]

Or ... we should make them browse the forums with this color scheme:
 -

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: