Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Why do you project? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Why do you project?
Douglas Carmichael
Film Handler

- posted 11-24-2003 07:09 PM      Profile for Douglas Carmichael     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I got into a heated argument with my father (he thinks that film projectionists/techies are 'menial workers' (he's not interested in the industry like I am) and are 'lowlifes who can't do much else and do it because
they can't advance in life') I thought ...

how did you become interested in this industry and why do you do it?
(Other than money. [Wink]

Interesting to hear your replies.

--Douglas

|  IP: Logged

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 11-24-2003 07:40 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do it because I enjoy it. Not everyone is geard for the life of a Lawyer, a Doctor or any other high stress job. We are not lowlifes and are probably happier than some out there because we are doing something we enjoy doing not something we hate. Granted the money may not be as great as it should be but their is much gained in the experience and the responsability that goes along with it that can be benaficial to ones future. A lowlife to me is someone who doesn't work and is very well capable to do some kind of work but is to lazy to go out and find it.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 11-24-2003 08:44 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would not consider being a cinema technician a 'menial job'. Unlike projection in the age of the megaplex, I consider the tech side of the biz to still be a 'craft' or 'trade'- Many cinema techs do sound system design and act as a consultant in some aspects of auditorium design (at least I have done so, and assume othes do as well). I also do full shop rebuilds on projectors, soundheads, and platters.

Projection used to be a craft with a proud heritage, but IMO, the job has been perverted to the point of being not a whole lot better than working at Blockbuster or McDonalds... Granted there are still many operators out there that are skilled craftsmen in every sense of the word, but they are a dying breed these days.

As you may have guessed by now, I am a cinema technician, but still do projection and consultation on projection for two film festivals, I am a projection consultant for another festival that uses 'staff projectionists', and I also do production location dailies projection. I haven't worked full-time in a 'plex since 1999.

Back to the original topic: Why do I project? Back in the early days (I started projecting 35mm in 1981 on Brenkert BX-80s and carbon arc lamps, my 16mm experience goes WAY further back than that) it actually paid far better than most of the jobs my friends in school had, which was nice [Wink] ... I also got to watch free movies (another nice perk), but also I felt good about being the one that had the (at the time, and probably still applies to this day in some regards) awesome responsibility of keeping the audience happy and entertained, whether it was running 2000' reels with carbon arcs, or a 9-plex with xenon consoles and platters. You really do get a good feeling inside after finishing up a flawless presentation with a happy audience... I also enjoyed the ancillary aspects of the job such as trailer collecting, etc., and have several friends that are similarly inclined and we would (and still do) get together and pursue our hobby... [Smile]

-Aaron

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-24-2003 08:53 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do it because it is easy and menial.

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-24-2003 10:11 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Primarily I do it because I don't have to deal with customers.

Also, it gives me a fairly flexible schedule that I can work with for school.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 11-24-2003 10:39 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't do it... I have menial people like Joe to do it for me.

But, what's far more important here is: Always listen to your parents. They are always right and will make you feel guilty for life if you do not follow their wishes.

Nevermind who "you" are or what you want to do or what path you want to follow in life, always bow to their wishes and never think for yourself.

It took me a long time to change that mindset I had! [beer]

>>> Phil

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-25-2003 12:26 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like shows, I like audiences, I like doing mechanical things. You think it's hard to explain why you're running movies; the stage tech folks get even *more* strangled trying to articulate why they do those things.

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 11-25-2003 12:27 AM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Primarily I do it because I don't have to deal with customers.
I do it because I have to deal with the customers. I'm a manager/projectionist and the part of the job I love the most is the customers. I do booth basically because thats what my job entitles...well, at least I'm telling the truth! [Big Grin]

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-25-2003 01:32 AM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I am extremely anti-social and I hate being around a lot of people. Plus, when I did work downstairs, the only time customers would talk to me were to complain and they would always be in a bad mood. So I got really turned off.

Douglas:

One way you can look at it is that people pay a lot of money to see a movie and kind of take a "mini vacation" from their lives. As a projectionist you are providing that vacation and it can either be enjoyable or apalling. As a projectionist you need to know a lot so you can provide an enjoyable experience. Anyone can thread and start a movie, but to be good you have to learn alot and I would not say that that it is something any "lowlife" can do.

Point of the story: A low life can thread and start a movie, but a projectoinist is someone that CARES about his or her presentation and will do everything within their skills to make it perfect.

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 11-25-2003 12:21 PM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Point of the story: A low life can thread and start a movie, but a projectoinist is someone that CARES about his or her presentation and will do everything within their skills to make it perfect.

Are you calling me a low-life Chris? [Big Grin] Nah just kidding, I do my best to make the best presentation possible...its just not what I'd call my passion.

Gary Crawford
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-25-2003 01:19 PM      Profile for Gary Crawford   Email Gary Crawford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A high school friend was a projectionist and his father was BA for the area IATSE local and they needed a relief summer operator. I loved tinkering and gadgets and gave it a try. I loved it. Learned on the old stuff, all the houses then were big old single-screen palaces from the old days. Worked every theatre in the area as relief man.

I later drifted away into other lines of work but I kept coming back. Still running an old single-screen two-projector sub-run house.

From this work I also picked up occasional movie work (last time was the dailies projectionist for "City By The Sea") and live TV work as well.

I also love the job because I'm a part-time writer and author and it gives me time to write while I'm "hard at work."

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-25-2003 02:19 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do it because when I take a picture the size of a postage stamp and blow it up to over 40 feet wide while an audience of 300 people, completely unaware of my existence, stare at something that >>I<< put before them MAKES ME FEEL LIKE THE ALMIGHTY GOD!! [Big Grin]

That, and I hate people, because people are idiots. All of them. The Machines are not idiots because The Machines can do no wrong. The Machines will never yell at you. They will never say or do things to hurt your feelings or rip your heart out by saying "Can't we just be friends?". They will never demand that you don't charge them for extra cheese because you never gave them enough to begin with. Yes, The Machines are my best friends and we work together in close harmony, watching all of the idiots below who are unaware that they are gazing at what I and The Machines put before them!! (evil laugh)

But really, it's a whole lot of fun. [Smile]

Now if I could only make it dark and windy indoors like Gandalf, that would be sweet.

=TMP=

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-25-2003 05:10 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Tom Pro-Sick wrote:
Now if I could only make it dark and windy indoors like Gandalf, that would be sweet.

You want your booth to be dark and windy, like Gandalf? First off, that's racist... calling Gandalf "dark". Secondly I don't see why you should bring up Gandalf's flatulence problems. So he is a bit "windy", who cares? I don't think I'd want my booth to have similar winds, though.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-28-2003 12:32 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Joe Reddy-fur wrote: You want your booth to be dark and windy, like Gandalf? First off, that's racist...
Oh that's right. He's Gandalf the WHITE now...
White power! [Razz]

=TMP=

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-28-2003 01:10 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aaron said "Projection used to be a craft with a proud heritage,"

I have to somewhat chuckle at that line and add that....the craft started with a heritage based on the likes of Al Capone and other organized crime leaders in the 1920's [Eek!] . Based on recent indictments of Union leaders in Chicago I would say that it still partakes in at least some organized crime.

How I got into this field.....
I was working in broadcast TV and was sick of it. I started collecting 35 and 70mm film and then collecting and rebuilding 35 and 70mm equipment. Pretty soon the local dealers repair guy retired and they had me running some service calls so I left the egotistical world of broadcast TV behind to work at my hobby..... eventually landing a job at a local 2nd run chain(now Classic Cinemas) doing all their rebuilds, installs, Willisizing all the locations they took over operating, and all repair work. Unfortunately it was a 24/7 totally rediclous job and I eventually quit Willisizing booths but continued to do location dailies work( and I was non-union!), selling dailies equipment, and servicing other theatres in Wisconsin, Northern Illinois, and Northern Indiana. This quickly and by word of moutn grew into a full service Theatre Supply Company. Things were good for a long time but with the chains buying up many of my accounts I shut it down and retired to Utah. I'm actually buisier out here than I ever have been but this is a geat place to live!

Actually I'd always say that you should have a job that you like and makes you a happy person in life. That aspect is far more valualable than any money form of compensation over your lifetime. I look back at what I did the last 20 years in this industry and nothing could replace the experience. Decent money can be made in this industry if you are good at what you do. I watched both my parents be miserable in their jobs and vowed not to end up that way. I really love the work I do, my co-workers, a great majority of my customers and almost all of the vendors I deal with in this job. Indeed, you can make a good living out of it.
Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: