Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Film-Techies Invade Vancouver!

Author Topic: Film-Techies Invade Vancouver!
Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 11-22-2003 07:56 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As John Pytlak mentioned in the 'stupid theatres' thread, a small but select group of Film-Tech regulars have been at the Association of Moving Image Archivists' (AMIA) annual conference this week. We took part in a panel aimed at explaining to film archivists who do not have any background in projection some of what goes on in the box/booth and why it isn't always the projectionist's fault if something goes wrong!

The idea for this session came from F-T lurker, projectionist and AMIA member Katie Trainor. The others who took part were John, Chapin Cutler, Matt Kunau and myself. I think we made some real progress in breaking down some of the barriers which definitely exist between archivists and projectionists, and in particular to start addressing the needs of theatres which only screen archive prints irrregularly (e.g. as part of occasional film festivals) and therefore have particular technical support needs. Huge thanks are due to Katie for this, not least because she already has plans afoot to follow it up - perhaps with an AMIA guidebook about the theatrical presentation of archive prints (though we're still in the early stages of talking about this).

All in all a great week, and it was wonderful to meet John and Katie after 'talking' with them electronically for all these years! Oh well, back to a cold, rain-sodden north-east of England, 123 e-mails and the washing machine now...

-
...and thanks to Criss Kovac for taking the picture!

|  IP: Logged

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 11-22-2003 02:11 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who is the guy on the left?

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-22-2003 04:08 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This thread is like old home week for me. I work with Matt Kunau, Chapin Cutler and Katie Trainor at the Telluride Film Festival. Did you meet Matt's wife Ingrid Lae? She is one hell of a projectionist too.

Jeff Joseph
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-22-2003 04:31 PM      Profile for Jeff Joseph   Author's Homepage   Email Jeff Joseph   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looking forward to seeing everyone tonight at the AMIA Archival Screenings at the Ridge!

Jeff

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-23-2003 04:48 AM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Geez, there's a lot of people in town this week [Big Grin]

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 11-23-2003 01:03 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ian: No, I didn't get to meet Ingrid, sadly. Matt was off to join her after our session, at which point I had to get to another one. Jeff (and all): hope the Saturday night screening went well - I'm really sorry I had to head home before it (and In a Lonely Place too), and am determined to make it to the whole of AMIA/Minneapolis '04!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: