Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Problems with Black CDRs

Author Topic: Problems with Black CDRs
Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 11-20-2003 12:37 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought a spindle of 50 Memorex Black All Use CDRs a couple weeks ago. They are usable both in the computer and on audio recorders. Neither the computer recorder or the audio recorder will burn them at more than 1X. The result of trying to use at higher speeds is dropouts and noise on audio and unplayability on data. So far I have found two players, one only 2 years old and the other made in '87 that will not recognize them at all, just indicate "no disc" even when recorded at 1x. Maybe the very dark coating is too dense to be reliably penetrated at high speed.

|  IP: Logged

Sean M. Grimes
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-20-2003 12:45 AM      Profile for Sean M. Grimes   Author's Homepage   Email Sean M. Grimes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's extremely weird, I have used probably 200 of these over the past year and a half, and never had a problem, perhaps an incompatibility with your drive? I have used them with an old Memorex 4x drive and a lite-on 52x drive, and had probably two bad discs between all of them! Either you had a bad batch or just a drive problem.

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-20-2003 08:37 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have used quite a few of the Imation black CD-R's, and have not had any problems recording, or playing them. Maybe you just got some bad ones, although, I must admit that I have never been impressed my Memorex, and have heard of people having problems with their discs. Come to think of it, way back when I was using a lot of reel to reel tape, I got some Memorex tape one time, and thought it was trash.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 11-20-2003 09:10 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
I've always had great results with MemoreX products including the "black" 700MB CD-Rs and even cassette and VHS/SVHS tapes.

I use Easy CD Creator on a Plexor 40/12/40A drive. Always great results...

>>> Phil

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-21-2003 12:06 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Bill Enos titled the thread:
Problems with Black CDRs

RACIST!

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 11-21-2003 12:38 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a big fan of Taiyo Yuden CD-R media. It works great in my Plextor 12/10/32S burner and plays in pretty much everything. If a CD player or CD drive will read any CD-R media, it will almost certainly read Taiyo Yuden. The cheapo blanks are sometimes unreadable in some devices or go bad after a very short time. Apparently, Mitsui is also a good brand, although I haven't used them.

Kodak makes (used to make?) special "gold" CD-R blanks, which supposedly last longer in accelerated aging tests than most other brands. I'm not sure whether or not to believe this claim, however, and I'm not sure I would trust any CD-R media for long-term archival storage.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2003 12:54 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's the difference/benefit of using black CDRs?

=TMP=

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 11-21-2003 12:58 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The label-side color doesn't make a difference. I just buy the silver ones because I'm cheap. Taiyo Yuden also sells versions with matte write-on surfaces and white surfaces designed for inkjet printing, but they're both more expensive than the plain version.

I can only guess that various manufacturers just color their "premium" line black to make the public think that it's better. Or something.

Oh--don't use those self-adhesive labels on CDs. They deteriorate over time and can throw the CD off balance in the drive, thus making it unreadable. It's much better to label CDs with a Sharpie or (if you have big $$$) an inkjet printer designed specifically for printing on CDs. (I'm assuming that no one here has a silkscreen setup for this purpose.)

Gracia L. Babbidge
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2003 01:17 PM      Profile for Gracia L. Babbidge   Author's Homepage   Email Gracia L. Babbidge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll admit that when it comes to buying blank discs, I'm relatively cheap, but even I won't go for the cheapest ones available, having found more than one bunk disc in a pack in such cases. I just don't really see the point in spendsing more $$ for a colorful disc, I'd rather just get more colorful cases for them.

And as far as labelling the discs go, I have two words: sharpies rule! [thumbsup]

Jeffry L. Johnson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2003 03:59 PM      Profile for Jeffry L. Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeffry L. Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
MAM-A Mitsui

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: