Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Do I have a Virus? (Help Win XP) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Do I have a Virus? (Help Win XP)
Nate Lehrke
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-15-2003 04:25 AM      Profile for Nate Lehrke   Email Nate Lehrke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My question is simple: Do I have a virus and how do I get rid of it!?

I have a: Dell Windows Laptop with XP

Had this problem with a pop-up occuring randomly when connected to the Internet. (The ISP doesn't matter, still happens whether I use MSN or Peoples PC)

The pop-up (below) starts a countdown from 60 seconds before my system is going to be shut down.

-

So once this pops up, I tryed Control-Alt-Delete, got this screen like normal:

-

Now, at this point it wont let me end the task or anything, it's hell bent on shutting me down.

Here's the weirdest part. I knew I had this 'issue' so I re-installed Windows XP after deleting the old OS from the drive, so in theory, starting fresh. But neverless, I connect to the internet and it comes right back!

This is a virus, RIGHT? Should I try re-installing XP again? I havent installed ANYTHING besides the OS so I'm not re-installing the virus.

Any help would be appreciated. [Smile]

----------EDIT --------------

I should have waited a couple more minutes to post.
Found it, of course, it's just the MSBLASTER from a while back.

-

Thanks to anyone that read this and was preparing a response!

FEEL FREE TO DELETE THIS POST [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-15-2003 04:50 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmmm.... this just may be the work of the recent "mblast.exe" worm. Maybe a few more people could help me out here. Are you sure that says "mblast.exe" in your photo or did the picture get screwed up since it is digital? I can't be sure. Perhaps you are trying to deceive us? Or maybe you are the devil?

Actually you might want to just follow whatever instructions there are to get rid of the virus (I have no clue) and get a free firewall like Sygate Personal Firewall (free) and an Anti-virus program like Antivir Personal Edition(also free). I have them both and I assure you that they both work great. I do not trust Norton Utilities at all. They used to be great, but they do more harm than good now, but I hear Anti Virus is still OK. Not free though. Steer far away.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 11-15-2003 04:54 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes you have the blaster virus.

Download a removal tool from Symantec here:

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.blaster.worm.removal.tool.html

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 11-15-2003 05:57 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How come the virus is still there after a new installation?

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 11-15-2003 06:57 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess the reinstall, however you did it, didn't totally 'nuke' what was there on the hard disc to start.

Suggestion: back up all data files you want to save first. Then boot the computer direct from a Windows installation CD (use the 'Boot from CD-ROM' option in the BIOS). Delete all the partitions on your hard disc(s), then create a new one and reinstall Windows, using the installation CD setup routine (the one which runs against a blue screen).

I can't see any way you won't have totally nuked the virus by doing that.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 11-15-2003 01:37 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nate probably just got the virus again since he probably hasn't patched his newly installed operating system, or installed a firewall. The virus won't survive a complete re-install of the OS.

Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-15-2003 03:04 PM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The MSBlast virus and its variants spread EXTREEMLY quickly. In a test case on an unprotected internet connection the virus infected a newly installed comptuer in under 15 mintues.

Make sure you install ALL the Microsoft Critial updates as they address many security issues that these viruses exploit. However installing just the critial updates will not solve your problem, you also need to get that virus off your comptuer.

Symantec makes a handy free tool that removes this virus and its variants.

Trend and Macaffee also make free tools to remove these viruses as well.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-15-2003 07:30 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Viruses will easily survive if one simply reinstalls WindowsXP over an existing installation. Lots of Windows users do this all the time. They figure they'll "clean up" whatever was wrong with their system without having to go through the hassle of reinstalling all their software. My opinion on such procedures: why bother?

The ONLY way to reinstall Windows, IMHO, is to reformat the hard disk and totally nuke whatever data was there and start over truly clean. Any PC built in the last few years can boot directly from the CD-ROM so restoring the OS and software is not anywhere near as difficult as it was 10 years ago.

Any high speed Internet connection will be a big liability when it comes to getting hit with viruses. My guess is some spam-bot out there had Nate's computer info (IP addresses, port numbers, etc.) and automatically put the Blaster worm right back in place.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 11-16-2003 04:37 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When you erase an installation and format the drive, does that also include the boot sector? Can such a virus survive in that area?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-16-2003 01:10 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is best to cut down all the trees fdisk the drive from a clean bootable floppy

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-16-2003 09:58 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some newer PCs feature FDISK on the boot CD-ROM.

Aldo Baez
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2003 12:04 AM      Profile for Aldo Baez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The nasty thing about this type of virus is that even if you don't have the physical file on your hard drive, it will STILL shutdown your computer because of the windows RPC exploit.

My friend called me up about his computer shutting down, I though uhh how you have tons of antivirus protection on there which I installed. Turns out his comp was totally clean but the virus was propagating the shutdown command at the isp level. It was easy to fix but I thought it was amazing that the virus was able to do something like this.

Joshua Lott
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2003 12:08 AM      Profile for Joshua Lott   Author's Homepage   Email Joshua Lott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A friend of mine is having a problem with what he says is the Msblaster.

I need help on how to fix it.

The computer will start up and go to the windows screen then reboot. It will do that in safe mode as well. He does not have any boot disc's or window's disc's...

any suggestions?

He is running XP home edition, HP Pavilion Xt948.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 11-18-2003 04:38 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The page that I linked to above that tells you how to remove it would probably tell you how to remove it, but that's just a guess. [Smile]

Don Bruechert
Mmmmmmmmm, bird!

- posted 11-18-2003 10:35 AM      Profile for Don Bruechert   Author's Homepage   Email Don Bruechert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A virus is always a possibility, but there is another possibility that has not been brought up here, so I will take the opportunity.

There is a function in all versions of windows called windows messenger. This has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with instant messaging in any way shape or form (this is not about whether you are running windows instant messenger, or any other IM program), it has to do with windows being able to receive broadcast network messages from the system administrator on your network. It is there whether you have a network or not.

For folks that have Windows 95 or 98, you're screwed. For XP, 2000, NT and the rest of the bunch you can shut it off (unless you are in a corporate environment, then check with your local God before doing so). This is one of the flaws in windows that Blaster exploits to do its business.

Have a look at the Microsoft Technet bulletin on how to disable windows messaging and see if it helps you with your problem. As the others stated, you may have the virus too. It never hurts to always make sure your antivirus program is up to date.

Here is the site: Disabling Windows Messaging

----------- Edit to Add....

I subscribe to this newsletter, which I find to be very informative:

WinXPnews

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: