Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Jack Johnston Punches Ticket

Author Topic: Jack Johnston Punches Ticket
Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 11-14-2003 12:49 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is with the utmost regret that I am letting you know the Jack Johnston who was a member of film-tech and employed at Cinemeccanica has taken his life. Jack wants to be remembered as having punched his own ticket. Jack had been living with HIV to which he lost his partner several years ago. While at Showeast Jack suffered an attack and had to leave early and return to Los Angles, his kidneys had shut down. Having been down this road with "Henri" Jack foresaw his future and he did not want to go though months of agony and he deceided it was time to move on.

I considered Jack a very good friend and he attended a party at my Newport Home last August. I saw Jack last at Showeast and I spoke with him Holloween night and left for Italy the next day. I found a letter from Jack on my desk when I returned to work last Tuesday. Several members picked up on my angst from some of the posts that I made. I spoke with Jack's secretary and even though my letter was mailed on the 5th of November, Jack's final night was November 9th.

Jack was one of the good guy's.

His request is that if someone wants to remember him they should
make a donation the www.Aidforaids.net his pet organization. He has also purchased a plaque which you can see by the end of the year by going into aidforaids.net and clicking on the word plaque.

Jack's neice will desperse his ashes off the coast of St. John where he will join "Henri" just off Hawks nest beach.

Whenever you hear the song "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" regardless of who sings it you will now think of Jack and a slight smile will cross your lips.

Goodbye my good friend.

Jack Placque is now on www.aidforaids.net

[ 11-18-2003, 10:31 AM: Message edited by: Bob Maar ]

|  IP: Logged

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 11-14-2003 01:14 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can this year be any more sad, with all the loss of fine people in this industry? [Frown]

In the spirit of Cinemeccanica's recent advertisements featuring Jack: The Genie has been released from his earthly bottle.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 11-14-2003 01:48 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My partner, John and I have known Jack from his days at O.R.C. to his final stop at Cinemeccanica. He was a person who desired 110% out of life and not to burden anyone at the end. We had our professional differences but that was - business - and not a reflection of the personal aspects of the man, who put more effort than his peers.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-14-2003 02:45 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Very sad. I only knew Jack for a couple of years, but he was one of those rare guys who was always in a cheerful mood with an eager desire to help others and as anyone who had dealt with Jack at Cinemeccanica, it was first class service all the way.

We'll miss you, Jack.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-14-2003 07:57 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jack will be sorely missed in the industry for few others have made the trade shows so much fun and made us all laugh heck Bob that is your new job:)

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 11-14-2003 08:14 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heck Gord, I wish I had that flair. I just feel so bad, Life is so precious and in the long run so short. I just can't believe how fast it really does go? I just graduated from College yesterday...and now I am 64. Wow!!!

John Eickhof
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-14-2003 10:19 PM      Profile for John Eickhof   Author's Homepage   Email John Eickhof   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another ICON in our industry is gone...I knew Jack for over 20 years..Good fellow!!
definitely will be missed!

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-15-2003 01:15 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't worry Bob neumade is going to have a 100 gallon martini glass for you to swim around in (full of martini's of course) in there booth [Smile]

Jonathan Worthing
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2003 04:32 AM      Profile for Jonathan Worthing   Email Jonathan Worthing   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The first time I met Jack was at a exhibition in Brighton. (While he was working for ORC) This man walked towards me in a T-shirt & the wildest tartan shorts.

Dress sense I think not, but one of the nicest guys I have ever met in the industry.

Jack will be missed by us all.

Sympathy to his family and friends

Andrew Lee
Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2003 07:22 PM      Profile for Andrew Lee   Email Andrew Lee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am at CineAsia at the moment and we all had a drink for Jack last night. He was a good man with a great flair for interesting conversations. He will truly be missed.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 11-20-2003 02:22 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many of the vendors are wearing a yellow Cinemeccanica ribbon in Jack's honor at CineAsia. Manic Jack will be sorely missed at ShowWest....

Sandie Caffelle
Film Handler

- posted 11-24-2003 07:33 AM      Profile for Sandie Caffelle   Author's Homepage   Email Sandie Caffelle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi

I've just returned from Cine-Asia and it is true there were a lot of toasts to Jack last week. I was proud to wear a yellow Cinemeccanica ribbon in his honour for the duration of the show.

I don't know how many years I have known Jack, probably 10, but I do know that he was one of the sweetest men ever to walk this earth.

He touched so many people and made us smile.

He'll always be with us in spirit........

Sandie

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: