Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Flat Screen Monitor opinions (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Flat Screen Monitor opinions
Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-14-2003 12:39 AM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Knowing that many of tou guys probably already have flat screens, which ones should I look at for myself? I want to buy a 17" in th every near future. This monster KDS 19" CRT is dying, and it's killing my eyes... I'd like to upgrade my wife's KDS also with a 15" flat screen.

Opinions on ViewSonic? Others?

|  IP: Logged

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 11-14-2003 12:45 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ViewSonic makes a nice flat screen monitor. Sony makes ones of similar quality for a whole lot more money.

If you're interested in LCD displays, NEC MultiSync LCD displays kick the crap out of anybody else's.

Avoid Samsung at all costs.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 11-14-2003 01:07 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are willing to give CRT monitors another chance, check out LaCie flat CRTs. I have one, it is by far the best monitor of any kind I have ever seen. It gives a very stable image which is nice for the eyes, and has very good color and geometry.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 11-14-2003 01:21 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been using ELO brand flat screen touch monitors on my RTS boxoffice and concession stations over the past year. So far, so good.

John Westlund
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-14-2003 01:28 AM      Profile for John Westlund   Email John Westlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a 17" NEC MultiSync 1760v and I love it so far. I've had it about 2 months and have had no problems yet.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-14-2003 02:30 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought a Sony flat screen monitor recently (can't remember the model number) and I took it back because it sucked my ass. I don't like monitors sucking ass. It was over $500. It looked good at a glance, but colors weren't 100% true. It would have some difficulty between red and greens, etc. This wouldn't be apparent to the average moron, but to this moron it sure was. For mission critical work in graphics and video, you have to stick with CRT or Apple's Cinema Display (the one that costs like $70,000 per pixel).

LCD has a ways to go before it is acceptable.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 11-14-2003 03:49 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have some Ilyama (I think that's the right spelling) in our Cad suite that are very good, but quite expensive. The ordinary ones we have in most other places are various makes, newer ones tend to be better than older ones, but there's not much difference from make to make, at a similar age and price.

They are sharper than typical CRTs, and have better picture geometry but rapid movement, and accurate colour reproduction can be a problem. Whether this would be important to you In your application, you would know better than me.

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-14-2003 03:56 AM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What are the advantages of a flat (not LCD) screen monitor or TV? What is a regular monitor called? I dont know what I have a sony VAIO but not sure of anything else.

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-14-2003 03:06 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I went to Office Depot today on my normal rounds, and saw a Samsung that 'caught my eye'. They also have some ViewSonics. Most of the 17" monitors are in the $400 price range.

The three year warranty on my KDS expried the fist of the month. I thought I had until mid-December to send it back.. Oh well...

Erick Akers
Arse Kicker

- posted 11-14-2003 03:12 PM      Profile for Erick Akers   Email Erick Akers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ViewSonics Are Great,low in cost and the performance is compairable to many more expensive models.

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-14-2003 03:43 PM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Their (Viewsonic's) LCD projectors are great, too. There are so many unknown names showing up on monitors, I've got the feeling there're probably 3-4 shops in China that make all of them.

Joe Smith
Film Handler

- posted 11-14-2003 03:46 PM      Profile for Joe Smith   Email Joe Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I was getting a new display I'd get a NEC lcd display. We use the 18" model LCD1860NX at work and they're great. They currently cost from $ 480 to $520. Their previous models (LCD1830 & LCD1850) were also great. Of about 200 installed so far, I only had 2 out-of-box failures (vertical row of stuck pixels on both), and one failure (bad power supply) after being in use for 4 months. Image is bright and clear. I believe their warranty is 3 years.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-14-2003 10:04 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Viewsonic makes decent flat panel displays for a variety of budgets. However, keep in mind the very common 1024 X 768 and 1280 X 1024 maximum limits for most flat panel displays.

To get a flat panel monitor that shows 1600 X 1200 native pixels or better, you have to spend some serious cash. The 23" Apple Studio Cinema Display costs $1999. Sony makes a similar unit (using much of the same components as the Apple unit) that is compatible with Windows PCs, but it costs over $2200.

Then there's that 9.2 megapixel Viewsonic monster that runs about $8000.

David L Parlier
Film Handler

- posted 11-15-2003 12:31 AM      Profile for David L Parlier   Author's Homepage   Email David L Parlier   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have had no problems with the ViewSonic, NEC, or Sony LCD flat screens. I found that the Sony LCD's cost just a tad more. If you are looking for something on a budget check out CTX. I have had no problems with them (so far) and for $365.00 w/ free fedex shipping and no sales tax (www.newegg.com) you can't go wrong if you are on a budget.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 11-15-2003 07:55 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm confused, are we talking about flatscreens (CRT) or LCD displays.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: