Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Rememberance Day2003 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Rememberance Day2003
Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-11-2003 07:39 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Canada today was rememberance day a day to honour all those who fought in the 2 world wars and Korea. Many gave there lives so that we could enjoy the lives we do now
All politcal view today should be put aside to thank them
It bothered me a lot today on the streetcar to work I noticed so few wore a poppy and the many letters to the editor bemoning the fact that many government and bank services were unavailable today
Thanks lets hope it doesn't happen again

|  IP: Logged

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 11-11-2003 08:23 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gord,

I think your rememberence day is like our Memorial day which we celebrate in May. This is the day that we wear poppies.

Our Veteran's Day is to honor all the members of the armed services both living and dead who have served their country with honor. Flowers are placed at the various memorials for all of the war's that we and our ancestor's served.

Semper Fi !

I still consider Canada my second home as fully one half of my ancestors are burried in Canadian soil.

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2003 09:47 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Veterans' Day in the USA began as Armistice Day, to memorialize
those who fell in WWI, when the guns fell silent on the eleventh day of the eleventh month [at the eleventh hour?] in 1918, ending the war with the signing of the armistice in a railway car in France. Now it commemorates the sacrifices of Americans in all wars.

Memorial Day, which used to be May 30th [or 31st?] but is now moved to a convenient Monday, used to be called Decoration Day. On that day relatives and other concerned people decorated the graves of servicemen and women with spring flowers.

Parades were held on both national holidays, and some few still are, though smaller and less well attended. Both holidays are now occasions for shopping center sales.

It's time to recognize the serious, original meanings of both days.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 11-11-2003 09:50 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I 'complained' to the university a few years back that very little was done to recognize Remembrance Day. I was told that there weren't enough Canadians at the school to justify it. [Roll Eyes] [Mad]

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-12-2003 04:10 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
let those who wish to observe do so, and let those who don't do otherwise. institutionalizing holidays is one of the many government functions i consider illegitimate. in the spirit of the first amendment, congress should not attempt to dictate what we respect and what we remember. our thoughts are our own. political or social bullying to evoke people's sympathies is at best rude. i hate it when i am asked to observe a moment of silence for something or someone. let me pay my respects as i see fit, as i feel it's merited. i've never even heard of wearing poppies. does that mean i don't remember dead people? no, it means nothing like that. but since it's mentioned, i don't think it's worth uprooting poppies to express such a sentiment. especially when it's tinged with a disturbing undercurrent of nationalism. more freedom, less nationalism, please.

carl

Jeff Stricker
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-12-2003 06:02 AM      Profile for Jeff Stricker   Email Jeff Stricker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The poppies are made of paper and used to be sold on the street corners by the VFW. Proceeds to help disabled veterans. I haven't seen them at all for years.

Yes, Gordon, its a day to put aside all political differences and honor those who have made the sacrifices for us to live in the great democracies we have, especially those who have made the ultimate sacrifice. We can do no less.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 11-12-2003 02:48 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I still donate to the vets selling paper poppies outside the employee entrances to the Kodak buildings. Thanks, and [thumbsup] to vets everywhere.

Dave Bird
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-12-2003 08:32 PM      Profile for Dave Bird   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When it's raining, our service is held in the village's old theatre (1927). It was packed (about 500) which is pretty good for a town of 2,000. They get more outdoors at the cenotaph. Poppies are still very popular here, sold by the Legion (our VFW), but very few Vets anymore. One wreath was laid by an actual combatant in the Battle of Britain. We owe them so much.

On a lighter note, I always think of Les Nessman up in that plane trying to get Cincinnati to honour Armistice Day!

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-13-2003 03:43 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Geeze Carl, are we having a bad day?

You are, of course, free to express yourself as you choose. But that freedom was purchased with the blood of many of your countrymen. No, you don't have to honor them. You're free to ignore their sacrifices. But you do sound kind of ungrateful, especially when you show more concern for a poppy than for those who purchased your freedom. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you?

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 11-13-2003 04:07 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Well said Robert. As one of those that shed their blood so the "Berkeley" types can say that crap, I am very annoyed.

>>> Phil

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-13-2003 05:49 PM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
actually, i didn't express my level of gratitude in that post. but i think the nationalistic aspect of this kind of remembrance should be acknowledged. from <a href = "http://www.usmemorialday.org/backgrnd.html>www.usmemorialday.org/backgrnd.html</a>:

Memorial Day, originally called Decoration Day, is a day of remembrance for those who have died in our nation's service.

not all the dead are "remembered". and it is very charitably assumed that serving "our nation" was a noble thing. this country has high ideals but also, like any country, has a history of betraying those ideals. unquestioned patriotism and nationalism is a convenient means of sweeping these unpleasant betrayals under the carpet. nationalism is also a far more potent motive for warfare than a desire for freedom, though the former is often expressed in terms of the latter.

oh, and i could pick just as many ideological fights here in berkeley as i could anywhere else. i suppose you hollywood movie star types think we're all hippies here.

carl

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 11-13-2003 06:07 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
oh, and i could pick just as many ideological fights here in berkeley as i could anywhere else. i suppose you hollywood movie star types think we're all hippies here.
That could be true. But since I'm not a "movie star", I really don't know. However it is a very well-known fact to the entire world that Berkeley, and "many" of the people there, are and always have been a total embarrassment to the state of California as well as the US.

Not to say that some Hollywood "type" are not either. I just find your post insulting to all veterans.

>>> Phil

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-13-2003 06:59 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank You, Thank You Robert and Phil....WELL SAID!!!!!!!!!!! [Big Grin] [beer] [thumbsup]

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 11-13-2003 07:12 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carl,

You really need to get a life because you do not have one now.

It is really sad to see your postings which spread only anger and resentment.

I have had members of my family in every war since the Americn Revolution.They have served with Honor,and defended the right, for you to have an opinion and be able to express it.

Therefor, you are either a person who wants to have a debate or you are an asshole.

I happen to think you are the latter. [Smile]
Am I right or wrong?

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 11-13-2003 08:13 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gentlemen, gentlemen, I beleive we have Mr. Martin all wrong. He is just a flower child, thats all [Big Grin]

How apropriate it seems that I am watching 'Born on the 4th of July' as part of our Vietnam series.

Josh

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: