Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Ripping off "Gladiator" music (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Ripping off "Gladiator" music
Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2003 05:22 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seems like everytime I go to the theater I see some new trailer that is ripping off the music from Gladiator. What's with that? Do they think no one will remember? Sunday when we went to see Matrix 3 there it was, I wish I could remember the trailer/movie name. And I don't mean it sounded kinda like it, I mean note for note exact music. It even had that woman singing/moaning along. I leaned over to the wife and said HEY Gladiator music.
What's going on?

|  IP: Logged

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 11-10-2003 05:40 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When trailers are made, the final musical score for the film is often unfinished. It's fairly common to "borrow" temporary music for the trailer from another film or some other source. Yesterday during MovieTunes I recognized music from the "Peter Pan" trailer, "Clocks" by the group Coldplay.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2003 08:04 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was disapointed that for the Gladiator teaser, they decided to use the score from Conan the Barbarian. Fortunately they didn't do it for the movie itself.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 11-10-2003 08:50 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For a long time the music from "Backdraft", also by Hans Zimmer, seemed to be on every action movie trailer.

Martin Brooks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2003 09:32 PM      Profile for Martin Brooks   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that Coldplay track works quite well for Peter Pan.

And I always thought that John Williams' theme for Star Wars was a rip-off of John Barry's theme from "Born Free".

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 11-10-2003 09:46 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can you post or link to a recording of that? That would be really interesting to hear.

Jim Leko
Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2003 10:55 PM      Profile for Jim Leko   Email Jim Leko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have heard it in trailers too, but what about Pirates of the Caribbean? Hans copied his own work. The action music sounded almost identical to Gladiator.

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2003 12:12 AM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is one song from Pay it Forward that is used in so many movies. I cant remember what else it has been on though. I think the life of David gale, but it gets old hearing the same dumbs tune.

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2003 12:28 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And I always thought that John Williams' theme for Star Wars was a rip-off of John Barry's theme from "Born Free".
All of John Williams' music is either ripped of from someone else, or completely forgettable. He is the scum on the bottom of the barrel of film composers, not just because he's often bad, but because he has no ideas. There hasn't been a score he's done that hasn't made me grind my teeth or want to just shut it off. It's either just po', or it's like he's running "Name That Tune" while you're trying to watch a movie.

Enjoy the march from Prokofiev's "Love for Three Oranges"

Or heck, if you like making those weird little bogus trailers for nonexistent Star Wars movies, pull a whole soundtrack:
http://www.iclassics.com/iclassics/album.jsp?selectionId=4069

I've never understood the intense fascination & attachments people have made to the Star Wars movies. When the first one came out, I thought it was a clever pastiche, & the young folks who glommed onto it just fell into a demographic crack when there were no longer so many old Prince Valiant, western, & George Pal movies running all the time on TV.

The music drove me up a wall, though. When the hero got into his space ship with the little robot to go attack the evil Death Star, I just *knew* the soundtrack was going to break into "Peter & the Wolf". I could HEAR it.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 11-11-2003 03:14 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Born Free and Star Wars do have some things in common but they are quite different.

The first two notes are similar. "Star Wars" begins with a half-note followed by a whole note while "Born Free" opens with a dotted half tied to an eighth. I think the step is a fifth in both tunes. However, in "Born Free" the tune goes up-down whereas in "Star Wars" it goes down-up. Both are then followed by triplet quarter notes.

They're similar but quite different when you also take into consideration the orchestrations. Williams works the hell out of a full orchestra. The tempo is also more energetic and majestic than the somewhat relaxed "Born Free."

Did Williams use "Born Free" as a starting point? I would doubt it because there is nothing in "Star Wars" (movie) that could logically make anyone think of "Born Free" (movie). And, besides, Williams starts several other themes in fifths (E.T., SUPERMAN and JURASSIC PARK, for instance).

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 11-11-2003 06:09 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
All of John Williams' music is either ripped of from someone else, or completely forgettable. He is the scum on the bottom of the barrel of film composers, not just because he's often bad, but because he has no ideas.
That is really an unfair statement, and also one which leaves some doubt about your understanding of how the creative process in music (or maybe in general) works. There is no such thing as complete originality in music. Everything has been there before, only in different form and stylistic context.
A lot of great musical ideas are very similar to others which have been there before, what makes a musical composition "new" or "original" is the way in which it is "composed", meaning in which way the material is synthesized into a new composition.

That also goes for Prokofiev, who was a very "original" composer, but whose ideas can in turn be traced back to other music before him. What made him such a great composer was his very sure hand in applying various stylistical techniques to his material. That, by the way, is not my opinion - Prokofiev himself commented extensively on this subject.

The "creative" quality is basically a sensitivity to the expressive and stylistical potential of melody, harmony, rhythm, color, and the ability to combine these elements into a musical shape which captures a certain "mood" well or fits into a stylistical context.
For this reason, musical composition can be seen as much as a craft than a creative art. John Williams certainly has a knack for selecting the right material for his scores, and shaping it into very striking musical material. That may not make him one of the greatest and most "original" composers, but it certainly makes him an excellent and versatile composer for film music.
Other than music which is composed as a statement by itself, theatre and film music first and foremost of all has to underline the emotional world of the given film or play.

In fact, a lot of musical masterpieces are based on very simple motifs. If you look at another piece used in films and "ripped off" many times, Richard Strauss`introduction to "Also sprach Zarathustra" (heard in "2001"), from an analytical point of view is a relatively simple C major cadenza, and the famous rising motif is nothing but C-G-C, the most basic sequence of fundamental, first harmonic, and octave. What makes it such an enormous experience to hear is not which notes Strauss "came up with", but how he treats this material in its musical context.

quote:
"Star Wars" begins with a half-note followed by a whole note while "Born Free" opens with a dotted half tied to an eighth.
I don`t know which Star Wars theme you mean, but the one at the beginning of all movies opens with a 8th note triplet, two half notes, another triplet on the beat, a half and a quarter note and so on. A dotted half + an 8th note doesn`t make a full bar. Does anyone have a link to a recording or the music for "born free"? I seem to hear an echo of that in the back of my head, but its been decades since I heard it.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 11-11-2003 11:22 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael -- There is a band arrangement which is slightly different from the original. I just listened to the soundtrack and it is indeed as you describe. Still, the two pieces of music -- SW & BF -- are similar sounding.

Other soundtracks that got overused...

THE ROCKETEER
THE MISSION

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 11-11-2003 12:45 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I went to a screening of a work print of "Romancing the Stone" at the Zanuck Theatre on the Fox lot. They used temp music from Raidiers of the Lost Ark and Thief.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 11-11-2003 05:29 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just checked out the "Born Free" theme (thanks to Aaron for sending me the file). But it doesn`t have much in common with the Star Wars main theme, except for the falling fourth at the beginning (which in Star Wars is in the 2nd bar) and the descending triplet. But the triplet is entirely different notes (in relation to the tonic) in both themes and they resolve to different harmonies.
Both themes have in common the very basic musical gesture of triumphant, "undiluted" major scale melodies centered on fifths and fourths - like about 3,2 billion other themes written throughout music history.
Still, I wouldn`t be surprised if Williams thought of this theme when he wrote Star Wars, but maybe also of many other fanfare-like themes.
Interesting detail in "Born Free": the harmonies dissolved into woodwind motifs. Very nice, but again not "original" or "ripped off", simply one of many stylistical techniques to embellish musical ideas. Prokofiev (again!) was also very fond of this and used it often.

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-12-2003 01:46 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
That is really an unfair statement, and also one which leaves some doubt about your understanding of how the creative process in music (or maybe in general) works.
I think *that* is unfair to composers who toil to create original works. It's an implication that it always begins with association, & a further one that creativity does not imply a drive towards originality.

Williams just seems to spot films by association with music he's familiar with, & then use schoolbook variation techniques to disquise it slightly. And then add some VERY lame bridging material. He's even an insult to composers who work by creating compiled scores, which is the oldest film accompaniment technique. Carl Davis' score of a video issue of Thief of Bagdad doesn't say "Score by Carl Davis", it says "Score by Carl Davis from themes by Rimsky-Korsakov". (His entirely original scores are excellent too, except the man cannot effectively score a chase or comedy to save his life.) Film composers who worked largely in compiled scores, probably the most familiar being Carl Stalling, are honest about their quotations, & almost all better composers of original material, too. One Road Runner score is more manipulative, original, & effective than any Williams dreck I can think of.

quote:
There is no such thing as complete originality in music. Everything has been there before, only in different form and stylistic context.
That's a common reduction to absurdity: "There are only 12 notes; there's nothing new except how they're put together". Let's try: "There is no such thing as originality in painting or photography; there only three colors, the only thing different is how they're put together." The 2009 Honda Prelude has already been invented. The ancestry of Eminem's music is the German baroque. These are silly, & easy.

quote:
That also goes for Prokofiev, who was a very "original" composer, but whose ideas can in turn be traced back to other music before him. What made him such a great composer was his very sure hand in applying various stylistical techniques to his material. That, by the way, is not my opinion - Prokofiev himself commented extensively on this subject.
Oh, come on. Liszt's Hungarian Rhapsodies are Liszt's Hungarian Rhapsodies, inspired by folk melodies, not transcriptions with mildly obscuring touches. George Harrison's famous plagiarism case of "My Sweet Lord" was plainly "He's So Fine", unconscious though the lift may have been. Oasis & Jeff Lynne like to work within a genre of Beatles-sounding composition techniques; they're not PDQ Bach. And Peter Schickele is millions of miles surpassing in originality & cleverness than slimy John Williams.

How did I have this premonition that if I went to Google's usenet archive & typed in "John Williams hack" that it would turn up the bazillion hits it did?

quote:
The "creative" quality is basically a sensitivity to the expressive and stylistical potential of melody, harmony, rhythm, color, and the ability to combine these elements into a musical shape which captures a certain "mood" well or fits into a stylistical context.
Note that "originality" isn't included in your assessment.

quote:
For this reason, musical composition can be seen as much as a craft than a creative art
It's a craft because it requires knowledge & work. Work without originality, and poor work, is hack work.

I am always distressed by people who dislike an artist personally because they simply have no taste for their work. Anybody can be not so good or their work just not to someone's taste. But for John Williams, I not only dislike the junk he emits, but the lazy, dissembling mind that produces it. I don't like him. I hope he has a hard stool tomorrow morning. I hope the people in the next block hear his anguished screams.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: