Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Grandpa's funeral today... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Grandpa's funeral today...
Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-08-2003 11:10 PM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For those who haven't noticed, I've been pretty much absent from FT for the past week. My Grandpa died last week.

After a successful recovery from brain surgery a few months back, he lost his balance, slipped and hit his head on his front porch getting the newspaper last week. Grandma found him bleeding there unconscious. He was taken to hospital and kept a few days. He seemed to be recovering just fine, aside from some bruising and small cuts.
On Thurs, 30 Oct, the doctors said they'd found bleeding in his brain. My family and Grandma were there on and off that day to visit. Doctors said he would need surgery to remove swelling which would probably leave him incapacitated; that outcome was not something he or anyone else would have wanted.

Friday, Halloween morning, he went into a coma and the Dr. gave him 24 hrs to live. My family, aunt and uncle and cousins, all got together in his hospital room that day to "visit", as the doctor said he could still hear us. He died that same night at 11pm. At least he didn't suffer long, hooked up to machines for days on end.

I was able to spend a lot of time with him over the past few months, driving him and grandma around town and to doctors appointments. (they live about 9 houses up the road)

There's only one thing I regret, though it was out of my control. For over a year now, whenever he would come to my house, which was a few times a week, he'd ask when my projector would be done so I could put on a show for him. Due to circumstances beyond my control, it's not ready still, and he never got the show he was always asking for. [Frown]
I think it would be nice when it's done, to have a little "memorial" screening with Grandma and my family.

Today we had the service for him. Approx 100 friends and family showed up, he was very loved. Grandma and my family are doing pretty well, I just got back from her house.

It's all very strange, I've never had anyone close to me die before.

Danny

|  IP: Logged

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 11-08-2003 11:46 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to hear this Dan. My sincerest condolences. The screening sounds like a nice idea.

Joshua Lott
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-08-2003 11:56 PM      Profile for Joshua Lott   Author's Homepage   Email Joshua Lott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would add that at that screening it would be nice to do a slide show of some favorite family photos.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 11-09-2003 01:49 AM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My condolences go out to you Dan. Yes indeed, the screening sounds like a wonderful way to celebrate a life.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 11-09-2003 01:50 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My condolences, Danny. I hope all is well with you and your family. Just hang in there... [Smile] [Smile]

Paul

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-09-2003 03:05 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to hear about your grandfather passing. Manny put some nice words on the Poopers thread. I think it applies here as well.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 11-09-2003 04:06 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to hear about this Dan. The screening sounds like a great idea. [thumbsup]

Jeff Stricker
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-09-2003 06:53 AM      Profile for Jeff Stricker   Email Jeff Stricker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very sorry, Dan. I'm reminded of my grandfather and how he got me interested photography, movies, radios, etc. He's been gone for over 20 years, but I know how much he would have enjoyed helping me tinker with this vintage 35 mm projection equipment.

Think of the good times you've both had. My sincere condolences.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 11-09-2003 03:01 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My condolences Dan. My parents were old when I was born, they died many years ago, as did the other members of my family that I was in contact with, but I remember how it felt when, one by one, they died, and I know it's not an easy experience to live through.

Death must come to all of us someday; it may seem of little consolation now, but at least your Grandfather was spared a long, painful illness, which some suffer.

There is very little that anyone can say which will make you feel better about things now, but things will get easier with time. My thoughts are with you at this time.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 11-09-2003 05:59 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The important thing is that you were on good terms with your Grandpa at the "time of fate". That is THE most important thing, in my book.

When somebody passes on, the worst feeling in the world is to have something left unsaid or issues left unresolved. Those kinds of things will haunt you for the rest of your life.

It sounds like you had good times with him and you had your chance to "make your peace" with him before he died. It can be simple as saying, "I love you." The simple things like speaking three words like that can be worth more than all the money in the world. In a way, you are richer than many of us!

If your Grandpa was the kind of person I imagine he was, he could never be disappointed by not getting to see a movie on your projector. I think he knew it was a long, complicated job. I can guarantee he knew it wouldn't be like popping in a video tape and pressing play. I know that he was proud just to see you working on a machine like that. Remember! Your Grandpa came from a time when being a projectionist in a movie theater was a prestigious job! Having a grandson who is even capable of working on, much less OWNING a real movie projector is a real feather in a grandfather's cap!

Do you happen to know what one of his favorite movies was? The way I figure, that would be the movie to watch in his honor at your first screening! [Smile]

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 11-10-2003 10:10 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dan: So sorry to hear of your grandfather's death. [Frown] It sounds like you had many fun times together that you can remember fondly. [Smile]

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 11-10-2003 01:22 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dan I would like to extend my sympathy to you and your family on the loss of your grandfather. I believe that your grandfather was as proud of you as you are of him. May God bless your entire family.

Jim Spohn
Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2003 02:30 PM      Profile for Jim Spohn   Email Jim Spohn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dan.... My thoughts and prayers are with you. It's never easy to loose a loved one but hang in there... Jim

Don Bruechert
Mmmmmmmmm, bird!

- posted 11-10-2003 03:44 PM      Profile for Don Bruechert   Author's Homepage   Email Don Bruechert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dan, sorry to hear of your Grandfather's passing. I never got to meet either of my grandfathers, but I do have vague recollections and a few photos of my great grandfather on my Dad's side... I'm glad you got to have the time with him that you had.

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2003 03:42 AM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all the kinda words. My family is doing pretty well.

Danny

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: