Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Fire at the Mount Burney Theater

Author Topic: Fire at the Mount Burney Theater
Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 11-08-2003 03:10 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
There was a fire at the Mount Burney Theater on Monday morning. Luckily, not much damage. And just a couple weeks after the theater won "Business of the Year" from the Chamber of Commerce.

Best wishes to members Donna and John on getting the theater back to 100% soon! I visited last year and took these photos.

From the Intermountain News:

quote:
$50,000 damage to movie theater

BY MEG FOX

If was the early morning, bad news knock on the dorr that everyone dreads.

"They knocked on my door, woke me up, and asked for the keys to the theater because it was on fire," said Mt. Burney Theater owner Donna Sylvester, as she stood on the snow-dampened pavement Monday, watching firefighters hack away at the side of her restored building.

By mid-morning, most of the 25 volunteer firefighters had gone home and Sylvester was cleaning up and planning to open her movie theater for an evening show.

A passerby noticed smoke streaming from the 63-year-old building and reported the fire to the CHP at 6:35 a.m.

Burney Fire Chief Bob May estimated damage at about $50,000.

The fire burned in a parapet wall above the theater's snack bar, but there was minimal smoke and water damage in the theater and it didn't smell like smoke, May said.

Firefighters tore down an exterior section on the side of the building to try to get to the source and determine the cause. May said he suspects the cause was electrical and related to the pink neon lights lining the front of the building.

In addition to two engines and an ambulance from the Burney Fire Protection District, where Sylvester serves as a fire commissioner, the Cassel and Hat Creek volunteer fire companies and an engine from the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection responded.

|  IP: Logged

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 11-08-2003 06:27 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very glad to the damage wasn't worse. I'd love to see that theatre if I'm ever in the area...

John Westlund
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-08-2003 06:32 PM      Profile for John Westlund   Email John Westlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for your comments guys. The damage inside was minimal, just a big mess to clean up from fighting the fire. We were able to get things cleaned up for that nights show. If you're ever in the area David please feel free to stop by.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-08-2003 10:04 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I heard on the news today that two people were arrested for starting theatres on fire. Didn't catch where it was though. They authorities apparently had been looking for them for some time. Anyone else hear about this??
Mark @ CLACO

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 11-09-2003 03:01 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that was discussed here.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: