Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Poopers Is Now In The Big Doghouse In The Sky. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Poopers Is Now In The Big Doghouse In The Sky.
Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 11-07-2003 05:29 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was a sad day for me, indeed. It feels like I lost part of my life. Poopers has been with me since 1990, and now he is gone. Sitting here alone trying to keep my composure is a very difficult thing for me to do.

|  IP: Logged

Luciano Brigite
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-07-2003 05:34 PM      Profile for Luciano Brigite   Email Luciano Brigite   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] [Frown]
*Hugs*

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 11-07-2003 05:44 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] Condolences go out to you Paul [Frown]

From one of the other Pauls
(One that had a favorite cat pass on while in his arms two years ago...)

Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-07-2003 05:46 PM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh dear. -Every time, we buy a new doggie, we know one thing for sure: that we are buying ourselves one dark, dark day, some day in the future. - And still, we do. -You too, I guess, will have a new little companion after Poopers...
Last time, I was digging a grave for a dog, the tunes reached me from the booth behind me - I don't know, what the song i called in the original US version, but the danish translation of that song from Toy Story was "You are the best of friends".
I sure was crying !
Was it the same illnes as half a year ago, that took Poopers away, or was it just old age...?

I'm sad with You, Paul [Frown]

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 11-07-2003 06:03 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Hang in there Paul. My thoughts are with you in this sad time. [Frown]

>>> Phil

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 11-07-2003 06:18 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Per, he would have been 18 in April.

When he was hit by the old dog syndrome 6 months ago, he did go downhill. He lost his hearing, and recently he didn't want to eat or drink water. He would sleep most of the time, and when he tried to walk around while he was awake, he seemed totally confused and very uncordinated. Sometimes he was almost twisting himself in a knot, and he would lose his balance and fall over. It was very difficult for him to go potty....and when he did, it hurt him so bad he would emit a painful whine. Sometimes he would lay there and look at me like he was saying, "It is time...I am ready."

I seriously doubt I will get another dog. I, too, am old...and I would worry what would happen to him and who would take care of it should something happen to me.

I felt the most humane thing to do was what I did. The vet agreed...there was no longerany hope of him living a quality life without pain.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-07-2003 07:04 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
That's very sad to hear Paul. Having a pet around is a reliable companion and something I don't think you want to give up.

How about a cat? Cats for the most part can take care of themselves if you need to make a road trip or are working a lot. [Smile]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-07-2003 07:12 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cats have their advantages as do dogs. I remember when my cat of 16 years died a little over a year ago. Not good times. It's always sad when a dog dies. They are very loyal. Just hang in there and remember the fun times. Don't try to rush getting over it emotionally. And never say "He was just a pet".

If, in the future, you decide to get a cat, don't get one like Brad's cat. She hates everyone but Brad.

John Westlund
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-07-2003 07:13 PM      Profile for John Westlund   Email John Westlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm very sorry to hear about your loss Paul. I know that is a hard decision to make but sometimes is best for the pet. I'm sure Poopers lived a good happy life and you will always have those memories of him.

Sincerely,

John

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 11-07-2003 07:23 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to hear it, Paul. It sounds like you made the right decision, though, and hopefully you can take comfort in the fact that Poopers is now in a better place for him right now.

Betsie Beadling
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-07-2003 07:29 PM      Profile for Betsie Beadling   Email Betsie Beadling   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Im Feeling Very Sad
that Poopers Passed away [Frown]

I Think I'll go
sit in the Corner and Cry

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 11-07-2003 07:35 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to here that Paul. Hang in there. [Smile]

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 11-07-2003 08:34 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A little 13-inch Beagle named Poopers.

-

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 11-07-2003 09:12 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So sad to hear of Poopers passing. [Frown] I'm sure you have 13 years of fond memories of the fun and canine companionship you've had. I still remember all my pets, back to my early childhood.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 11-08-2003 12:38 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very sorry to hear, Paul. [Frown]

It's easy to try to minimize your own feelings and say, "Just a dog." You may think, "It's wrong to have emotions when something so (seemingly) trivial happens." The truth is that a person who doesn't have some emotion in a situation like this is the one who is wrong. Not allowing yourself to grieve (or otherwise feel shitty) is going to have negative consequences down the road. In a nutshell, grief is normal.

When I have bad feelings about losing a pet I try to remember this: Way back in ancient times, Man domesticated animals for pets. In their natural habitat, dogs, cats and other animals would have fended for themselves. In the process of domestication, many animals lost or minimized their natural instincts to survive in the wild. Nowadays, most pets are dependant on humans for survival. As far as I'm concerned, domesticating animals for our own pleasure, we have taken on the responsibility to make sure that they live dignified lives. When it comes time for them to die as all creatures must, it is also our responsibility to allow them to have a dignified death.

This is exactly what you have done. You have lived up to your end of the bargain, so to speak. You have done the morally right thing. To swallow your feelings and have Poopers euthanized deserves a pat on the back.

You could have done nothing. Poopers could have lived his last moments in pain. Immoral in my book.
You could have given him drugs to make him comfortable until he died naturally. Not immoral, per se, but selfish to say the least. Prolonging his life so that you won't feel sorry wouldn't serve the dog any better. You would spend more money just to avoid the inevitable.
Eutnanasia allowed Poopers to die with dignity and without pain.

I don't think animals have emotions like humans but I think animals have a "sense" that lets them know when it's time to die. If it was possible for Poopers to make the decision himself, I'm sure he would have chosen the same thing you chose for him.

Basically, I'm saying that you can temper your emotions with the knowledge that you did the right thing.

Now, let's all have a drink and toast to Poopers' memory! [beer]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: