Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Defraging software for Mac?

Author Topic: Defraging software for Mac?
Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2003 07:24 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been getting dropped frames occasionally when capturing to Final Cut on my somewhat new G4 desktop. I have followed the instructions on how to prevent this from the help file but still get dropped frames on occasion. One thing I haven't done is get any defragmentation software for the hard drive. Can any Mac users suggest some? Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-04-2003 07:36 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it is somewhat new, it is unlikely the disk needs defragging. You can defrag with DiskWarrior, but I don't think the current, OS X bootable version has the defragging ability (called PlusOptimizer). Of course John Pytlak will probably be willing to burn a copy of the older OS 9 bootable version and offer it as a warez file and host it on www.kodak.com/pirate/software/warez.html

If you use Mac OS X, then they say that you don't need to defrag because of the way the OS works. Not sure if I believe that. Also, if you are using an external firewire drive to capture your video, that can cause dropped frames as well. No warez can fix that. Using an external firewire drive is a common "dropped frames" problem.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 11-04-2003 08:51 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Generally if you have a lot of free space on the volume you won't see to many problems caused by fragmentation.

I bet Kodak will get a lot of hits on their WAReZ (not wares) site today. Network Solutions should point any unregistered domains that appear to be warez sites at Kodak's warez site.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2003 10:35 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am importing to the internal drive, a 160g drive that I have dedicated to FCP projects. I forget the brand right now but will check. I dont have problems with short clips or clips several minutes long, but I have problems with clips around 10 to 12 minutes long. Yes that's a long time to capture one clip, but I've done it on my PC (2.4ghz with 512mb of memory) for much longer with no dropped frames. The G4 is about 1 yr old. I've captured about 80 minutes of footage (an old tape I converted from vhs to mini dv) straight to Imovie without stopping and with no apparent sync problems at all. Imovie doesn't warn about dropped frames like FCP does (that I'm aware of).

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 11-04-2003 10:41 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What hardware are you using to capture with?

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2003 11:22 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am using Final Cut Pro 4.02 to capture with.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-04-2003 11:44 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK how about the software? [Smile]

I wouldn't recommend capturing such long files anyway. It's not efficient. iMovie breaks things at each scene change usually. Just capture in 5 minute clumps. They can easily be edited back together.

Oh, be sure to run fsck -y and repair permissions. Then try again.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-05-2003 12:04 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is your 160GB hard disc your boot hard drive (meaning is the OS and other apps running off of it)? I had similar frame dropping problems, even after adding a second 80GB hard disc. A few people here on Film-Tech advised me to attach the new hard disc to a separate PCI controller. That solved all the capture problems.

I've captured clips up to 20 minutes in length without any dropped frames (I haven't tried anything longer yet). And this is on a 1GHz Dell PC with 512MB of RAM running Adobe Premiere 6.0

I apologize if this hard disc issue sounds like a stupid question, but it is one worth asking. There's next to nothing in terms of Macs and PCs sold with second hard discs hooked up to additional hard disc controllers. That even goes for high end packages advertised as video editing solutions. Hardly any video editing web sites make any mention about using separate disc-controller setups for capture either. It seems like a lot of people have to find out the hard way.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: