Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Product Review: Sears Ultra Big Shark vacuum cleaner

Author Topic: Product Review: Sears Ultra Big Shark vacuum cleaner
William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-03-2003 03:55 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I want the same thing everyone else wants: a little vacuum cleaner to clean out the interior of carbon arc lamphouses & do some odd casual sucking of annoying little clots of nastiness found in the backs of racks, etc. It needs only to be small & light enough to tote without more profanity up to a booth, to hold with one hand, & needs to accept a hose, crevice tool, & one of those brushy things at the sucking end.

The one gallon Shop-Vac is weirdly cumbersome, in its unique mini-barrel clumsi-shape & autonomous self-motivated plastic hose.

Walking through Sears, I saw a pile of these things on sale:
 -

The Ultra Big Shark! Approx. $35 at Sears, $49 at Best Buy! More power than an upright! A billion attachments for vacuuming floors & other things, some powered, includes a crevice tool & brushy thing! A little larger than a DustBuster, but with a hose for the crevice tool & brushy thing!

Well, you vacuum for 90 seconds with the wretched thing & it stops dead from a thermal cutout. Wait 5 or more minutes, & it's cool enough to vacuum for another 90 seconds. It has made me cranky! A vacuum cleaner that doesn't suck; do they think that means it's good?

It's going back with all the attachments, the sales receipt, & a hostile glare. Apparently it's not just this unit, but They Do That.

http://www.epinions.com/Euro_Pro_Shark_Turbo_Vac_Vacuum_Cleaners/display_~reviews

If they realy believed in consumer satisfaction, I wouldn't have to take it back. They'd come get it. I would toss it down to them from the booth, with a good enough arc to clear both balconies.

Ultra Big Shark. More like Stupid Mushy Jellyfish.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-03-2003 04:03 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
This does not belong in Film Handler's Forum. Moving.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 11-03-2003 02:56 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So can anyone recommend a lightweight, dependable, commercial-quality vacuum that can be used for the equipment clean-up duties mentioned? Most of the household ones are ineffective, and shop-vacs are unwieldy.

Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2003 12:13 PM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would look at the Craftsman hand-held vacs:

Craftsman 2 gal. Wet-Dry Vac, 1 hp with Blower Port
Sears item #00917711000

Go to http://www.sears.com and enter the item number in the search dialog.

(I hate sites that won't let you bookmark pages, for just such a reason as this...)

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 11-04-2003 12:19 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like this?

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 11-04-2003 04:50 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do what I do... Just attach a hose to your face and suck. [thumbsup]

Dave

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2003 07:55 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had seen several advertisements for the Ultra Steam Shark, hosted by our "favorite" Craftsman spokesperson. I purchased one for use on my car after watching the demonstration videos. Needless to say that it is a very light weight unit that did not perform as demonstrated in the videos. I promptly returned it.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: