Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Shhhhh....laughter?

Author Topic: Shhhhh....laughter?
Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 11-02-2003 05:20 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Everyone knows Thou Shalt Not Talk During the Movie. But surely laughter--not necessarily loud guffaws but quietly chuckling to oneself--is a normal audience response. Thus, is it acceptable to shush someone simply because one didn't think a given scene was funny?

|  IP: Logged

Martin Brooks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2003 05:37 PM      Profile for Martin Brooks   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No!

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 11-02-2003 06:59 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the reaction to the movie is genuine (laughter, screams, applause), it is fine. If someone is just trying to draw attention to themselves, or impress their group with their antics, they deserve censure.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 11-02-2003 07:59 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. I suppose if the movie is "Schindler's List" and some nimrod is guffawing at something he/she finds "funny", that might be a case where censure is warranted. OTOH, if the movie is, say, "Gigli", and someone laughs at something not necessarily meant to be funny, that person deserves a gold star for recognizing crap when he/she sees it.

I laughed all the way through "Kung Pow: Enter The Fist". But few others in the audience found it that funny. On that basis, was I in the wrong? [Razz]

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2003 08:39 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it wrong? I dont know, but it is extremely annoying to me. I hate when people laugh during movies, even if it's a truly funny scene.

I dont laugh out loud and for the above reason and people kicking the back of my seat, I will rarely watch a movie unless I am screening it alone. I don't even allow other managers or staff to be in the same auditorium with me.

[ 11-02-2003, 10:08 PM: Message edited by: Chris Hipp ]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-02-2003 09:39 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's extremely annoying to me is:

People who laugh at stuff that's not supposed to be funny at all - like a person getting hurt in a serious movie.

People who keep laughing and laughing and laughing long after the funny scene is over. (Teenagers are the worst.)

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-03-2003 12:09 AM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I should also add that if for some reason I attended a public showing, I wouldn't tell anyone or try to get the people to shutup. People reacting to the movie is the norm, it jsut bugs me. Not to mention the smell of 600 people crammed into one auditorium.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 11-03-2003 01:09 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Not to mention the smell of 600 people crammed into one auditorium.
A properly built auditorium with adequately sized air exchangers wouldn't have a people smell.

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-03-2003 03:41 AM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What about laughing during a movie that just horrible? Steven Seagals' movies are a prime example.

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-03-2003 03:43 AM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, Double posting.

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-03-2003 05:46 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i don't mind a bit of laughter _if_ it is restrained and doesn't obscure the soundtrack. there's a way to laugh when you're drinking with your buddies and there's a way to laugh during a film. they are different. i don't like people who laugh to draw attention to the fact they "get it". though i'm sure i've done it myself a few times.

as for applause, save it for live performance. it's great if you're enjoying yourself. you can talk about it later. i don't need to know as soon as the credits start. i will allow that clapping is appropriate under one circumstance: the director/actor/whatever is there in person, announced. but even then, wait till the lights come up.

bottom line: if you can't help yourself, don't feel too bad about it. if you can help yourself, please do.

carl

Christopher Seo
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-03-2003 08:04 AM      Profile for Christopher Seo   Email Christopher Seo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I saw the original "Blair Witch Project", there was a group of teenage girls giggling throughout the whole movie. Obviously, this film was no "Citizen Kane", and definitely cheesy at times, but it was at least an honest effort (and I certainly wish I had made it as I'd be pretty rich now). I refrained from telling them to shut up during the movie, but afterward I went up to them, dying to find out why they were giggling so much. "Uh... we were laughing because they were scared," came the rather dim reply. [Roll Eyes]

I think the reason they were so annoying is that they were the only ones laughing... even though they weren't loudly guffawing, the fact that we knew they were laughing was distracting. They, as part of the social contract of theatregoing, need to be aware of the rest of the audience. If they are the only ones laughing repeatedly, then they should realize they are sticking out like a sore thumb and giggle quietly and aspiratedly to themselves.

Still, there has to be some give and take with laughing at unintentionally funny scenes. This seems to be true of older movies especially, where a shot, action, line of dialogue, scenario, etc., that was serious enough at the time is now dated or seems silly. One could probably say that entire styles of acting that worked in the 1930s now seem silly. Perhaps theatres could advertise certain showtimes as being for Serious audience members only! (but that will never happen). I had a friend comment that seeing "Jaws" at my theatre was a better experience than seeing it another theatre, which had a higher contingent of jaded, disaffected college types prone to laughing at the movie.

Mark Hajducki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-03-2003 11:12 AM      Profile for Mark Hajducki   Email Mark Hajducki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Perhaps theatres could advertise certain showtimes as being for Serious audience members only!
you would have to offer alternative "explained showings for the hard of thinking" to avoid being counted as discrimenatory.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 11-03-2003 01:27 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was the time I threatened to give an apendectomy to this guy one row back and four seats to the side of me for laughing during Star Trek First Contact, at scenes not intended to be funny to anyone.

He told me to go F*** myself, he paid for his ticket and he can do whatever the F*** he wants.

He however forgot the first rule of cinema, he who goes to the manager first, wins every time.

So out he went.

Ciao

Dave

Paul Cassidy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-03-2003 08:02 PM      Profile for Paul Cassidy   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Cassidy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
GOing to Mel Brooks movies it,s almost imposible to not Laugh out loud [Big Grin]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: