Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Cure against drunk

Author Topic: Cure against drunk
Jean-Michel Grin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-31-2003 06:10 PM      Profile for Jean-Michel Grin   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Michel Grin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
gentlemens,

I have a question, and I searching for a tips:

I'm drunk, and I have to go to my work to justify my pay day. What I can do to cure my drunk's pain.

I trtied to take a cold shower, but is not ennought.

Have You never facing this dilema ?
You boss gived You a free day, You celebrated it, drinking a lot o beer, whisky, or Martini (for Bob Maar :-)) and suddently You boss caled You, to go for an emergency reason in a theater ?

Personaly, I don't drink alcool when I'm working. I prohibed by the internal directives, but when I go out, I drink a lot, with friends, And I don't drive my car, I use cabs, it's munch safe, But in theses moments, on weekends, theaters call me to help 'em for solve a major equipement failure.

What I could make to solve a drunk state at this moment ?

Sorry for my weak english, but I belive that some of You Guys have experiencied once in a life time a problem such like this :-)

Bye, I go back to my glass of Brandy

|  IP: Logged

Floyd Justin Newton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-31-2003 06:22 PM      Profile for Floyd Justin Newton   Email Floyd Justin Newton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AA .. It's a great group.

FJN

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 10-31-2003 06:30 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you had been given the day off, and were impaired from drinking too much, I would be honest with your employer and say you did not feel you could work safely until your regularly scheduled day. Much worse to try to work when you have too much alcohol in your blood, and have an accident. [Eek!]

Only TIME can really lower the alcohol content in your bloodstream, and return your mind to full ability to work safely.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 10-31-2003 07:23 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Only TIME can really lower the alcohol content in your bloodstream, and return your mind to full ability
to work safely.

I have heard that Newsweek works pretty good for sobering up too [Big Grin]

If I was off duty and under the influence, they would have to wait until I was sober and competent before I came out to service anything...

-Aaron

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 10-31-2003 07:39 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jean-Michel,

John is right on. Do not try to fake it be honest and tell you boss that you thought you had the day off and you were celebrating with your girl friend and you need some sleep before going back to work.

Whatever you do when you work with the public, you must put your best foot forward at all times.

I may drink Martini's but Never when I am working, or driving or to be honest I am all talk and no action. [Smile]

Darren Crimmins
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-31-2003 08:24 PM      Profile for Darren Crimmins   Email Darren Crimmins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unless you have an "on-call" agreement with your employer, you can say (truthfully) that you are "not available". Your time is your time, and you will get to them when you can. I have seen some company techs who are on-call 24/7 unless they notify otherwise for special circumstances. That is a tricky situation, one cannot stay sober all the time. [beer] [Big Grin] [sex] [evil]

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 10-31-2003 11:37 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let me tell you a horror story from my past. It's not something I'm proud of but I learned a valuable lesson from it and I hope everybody here can take a lesson from me.

It was close to 15 years ago. I was working overnight security detail in a 400 room hotel. It was a 10 story "mid-rise" building. My job was to man the control desk, watching the cameras, monitoring the alarm system and answering the phones. It was 2:00 in the morning. Things were quiet. The building was secure. Nothing was happening, nor was anything likely to happen. I was sitting at my post. My co-worker came into the office and we started shooting the shit.

It wasn't long before my buddy reached into his pocket, pulled out a big fat joint and said, "Hey! Let's go out behind the dumpster and smoke up!" My first reaction was to say, "No way!", but he kept after me... "C'Mon! Nothing's going to happen, you wussy!" I kept refusing and he kept busting my balls. After about an hour of badgering I did the stupid thing and gave in.

After we were done I went back to my post and relaxed. Nothing happened for about 3 hours. I was dozing in and out of reality when the fire alarm went off! Oh SHIT!!

Let's talk about fire alarms for a second:
This building had a "graphic annunciator" panel at the command center. Basically it's a wall-size map of the building with indicator lights on it to tell you where the alarms are being called in. On your average, run-of-the-mill alarm you simply acknowledge the alarm, make a general announcement and wait for the Fire Chief to come and give the "All-Clear". At that point you reset the system, make an "All Clear Announcement" and everybody goes back to normal. 9 times out of 10 the cause is something as stupid as cigarett smoke activating a smoke detector.

This time turned out to be that fateful 10th time. An air handler on the roof caught fire and blew smoke down the ducts into the building. The lobby was filling up with smoke. As you know, smoke usually rises in a building of that size. I was standing at the annunciator panel trying to figure where the alarm was coming from. The next thing I knew the zones on the board started lighting up like a Christmas tree.

Second Floor! Third Floor! Fourth Floor!
Let me tell you! The "Oh, Fuck!" light was on!
The Fire Chief comes in wearing full turn-out gear. About six firemen followed right benind, all carrying fire axes and all the other tolls of the trade. The Chief was hollering at me to tell him where the fire was. I was out of my freakin' head!
I had to evacuate the building and handle the alarm system until the "All Clear" came through.

Luck was with me that night. The alarm system shut all the air handlers down shortly after activation. The fire in the air handler went out by itself and the smoke subsided in just a few minutes. The smoke evacuation fans on the roof went into motion and drew the smoke out in a few minutes after that. The building engineer disconnected the power to the unit and we were able to clear the building and reset the alarm in about a half an hour.

That was the longest half hour in my life! I made it through without anybody being the wiser! Luck was on my side that night. Nobody got hurt and no real damage was done. I went home at the end of my shift, went straight to bed and CRASHED for about 12 hours!

I will NEVER do that again!!

My advice to you is just tell the boss that you are in no condition to come to work. Don't worry if he tries to chew you out. You'll BOTH be glad you didn't come to work with a buzz!

Take it from me!

Jean-Michel Grin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-01-2003 02:43 AM      Profile for Jean-Michel Grin   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Michel Grin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for Your replies gentlemens, Your'e al right.

I knew a projectionist that could'nt working without a massive dose of alcool in his blood.
It was the entire day drinking beer while working. Even the boottles of beer was hiden Inside thre projector's consoles !
Strangely, this guy was never fired up, he had quit the job.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: