Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Disney to bump The Alamo to an April opening

Author Topic: Disney to bump The Alamo to an April opening
Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 10-30-2003 12:16 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Walt Disney Company on Tuesday postponed the opening of "The Alamo" to April 2004 from its December 25th release date.

According to IMDB

http://us.imdb.com/StudioBrief/#1

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-30-2003 01:33 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good. We need more family friendly stuff in the spring. People are going to go broke this holiday season with all the kid movies out there.

Wonder if this will change their plans for "Hidalgo?"

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 10-30-2003 03:10 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is the story.

Just eight weeks before it was to be released -- and with trailers already being shown in theaters -- the Walt Disney Co. on Tuesday postponed the opening of The Alamo to April. In an interview with today's (Wednesday) Los Angeles Times, co-producer Mark Johnson said, "It's proven to be more difficult than we thought." Separately, Disney Studios Chairman Dick Cook said in a statement, "Too often in Hollywood these days, release dates are set before a film has even completed shooting and it forces the director into a situation that compromises the work. ... Ultimately, the end product is more important than the need to meet arbitrary deadlines for awards, etc." The delay will undoubtedly boost the $80-million budget for the film. Ironically, it was Disney's decision to scale back the budget of the film (from a reported $125 million) that reportedly led to Ron Howard's decision to bow out of the project as director. Howard, who had originally championed the production, and partner Brian Grazer remain as producers.

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2003 04:59 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Good. We need more family friendly stuff in the spring. People are going to go broke this holiday season with all the kid movies out there.
The Alamo is hardly "family friendly stuff". It's one of those epics that Oscar voters go ga-ga for. The trailer bites anyway.

At least Touchstone will have Calendar Girls [Smile] for Xmas in the States. That'll be a winner!

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-31-2003 06:52 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think the trailer really bites, but I don't think its phenominal either. What concerns us the most about "The Alamo" is we want an epic story be told about the Alamo . None of this "Pearl Harbor" crap inwhich a three hour movie is based upon a forty-five minute scene.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-31-2003 10:30 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The word is:

Billy Bob's portrayal of Davy Crockett is laughable and not Academy award worthy......

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-01-2003 11:07 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There has yet to be a GOOD film made about the Alamo. I can't remember the first one being too good either. Perhaps this is a film that Kubrick should have done so the powers that be couldn't tamper with it afterwords....or beforewords.....
Mark

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 11-01-2003 01:13 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Walt Disney Co. on Tuesday postponed the opening of The Alamo to April.
Oops, not a good sign. It's starting to fall into the pattern of the first one!

If any picture should have been a Christmas release, I would think it'd be this one.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 11-01-2003 09:30 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Without Todd-AO it's already a step down.

Martin Brooks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2003 05:44 PM      Profile for Martin Brooks   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The word is:

Billy Bob's portrayal of Davy Crockett is laughable and not Academy award worthy......

Well..I'm sure it's not Academy Award worthy but from seeing the trailer, I did not have the slightest feeling that this film would be Academy Award material, even though it might wind up being an okay film.

As far as Billy Bob's portrayal of Crockett is concerned, a recent PBS biography on Crockett indicated that he was an uneducated and rough-speaking person. So Billy Bob's portrayal might be right on the money. And I think that this version will probably stick a bit more to the facts and show more of the Mexicans' point of view as well.

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-03-2003 02:00 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I read the subject line, I immediately got a vision of a very large woman smacking the Alamo repeatedly with her hip while Joe Tex's greatest hit played on a boombox at her feet.

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2003 06:04 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And I think that this version will probably stick a bit more to the facts and show more of the Mexicans' point of view as well.
One could hope, but in the past 30 years revisionist historians have uncovered a new twist to the old story about the Alamo. Apparantly, a Mexican soldier named "de la Pena" kept a diary of the 1836 battle in which he claims Davy Crockett and a few other Tennessee volunteers were captured as prisoners, then shot later on orders from Santa Anna himself. There is no way this can be credited or discredited. Nobody really knows who this guy was and his diary was not uncovered until the mid-1950's. I'll be watching to see if Disney follows the old blue-blooded American storyline inwhich brave Texans died fighting for freedom from oppression (what a crock!), or this other version.

And for you Texans, just let me point out that those men who died at the Alamo were all in favor of Texas independence based upon a slave society, so don't flame me for some irritating remark.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: