Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Sony Will Eliminate 20,000 Jobs

Author Topic: Sony Will Eliminate 20,000 Jobs
John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 10-29-2003 08:58 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From today's Hollywood Reporter:

Hollywood Reporter October 29, 2003

quote:
Oct. 29, 2003

Sony will eliminate 20,000 jobs

Sony Corp. on Tuesday announced plans to cut 20,000 employees during the next three years as part of a broad reorganization and cost-cutting strategy. The move, which will eliminate more than 10% of Sony's worldwide work force, was expected (HR 10/21). The Tokyo-based conglomerate gave few details beyond the fact that 7,000 of those positions will be in Japan. No specific cuts were detailed for Sony Pictures Entertainment, where it has already been confirmed that some 300 cuts will be made during the next 18 months (HR 10/16). Analysts and sources said last week, though, that SPE should escape much of the cutbacks since it is already making reductions. (Marla Matzer Rose)

|  IP: Logged

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-29-2003 10:02 AM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Per the NY Times it's part of a phasing out of conventional television production in favor of flat screens, which will be produced jointly with Samsung, and the decision to move all "consumer level" manufacturing to China, with only hi-tech stuff in Japan. Supposedly this deal will make Samsung the largest producer of Plasma screens over time. Interestingly, another article in the same paper had a lucid comparison of CRT's, Rear Projection, LCD's, and Plasma, with the conclusion that LCD's will catch up with Plasma "size-wise" over the next 2-4 years, and will displace Plasma as the flat screen of choice. The article cited difficulties with Plasma including power consumption, heat, the ability to "burn", and a gradual deterioration in light output--none of which LCD supposedly suffers from. Interesting.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-29-2003 11:09 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I heard about this from a video game forum a few days ago. I've never seen good come out of moving manufacturing of products to a cheaper country. It makes me trust the products less and proves that all Sony cares about is the bottom line.

Woa! I just had a thought (my first!). With Sony moving their consumer manufacturing to China, things may actually improve! You see, any current Sony product with moving parts fails rather rapidly and repeatedly in order to get you to purchase many replacements (witness Sony Playstation 1 and 2 or anything else Sony has ever made). Maybe China can do a better job than Japan. Sony gives Japan a bad name.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 10-29-2003 11:36 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeff Taylor wrote:

quote:
Interestingly, another article in the same paper had a lucid comparison of CRT's, Rear Projection, LCD's, and Plasma, with the conclusion that LCD's will catch up with Plasma "size-wise" over the next 2-4 years, and will displace Plasma as the flat screen of choice. The article cited difficulties with Plasma including power consumption, heat, the ability to "burn", and a gradual deterioration in light output--none of which LCD supposedly suffers from.
Kodak's NuVue Organic Light Emitting Diode (OLED) displays offer significant advantages for the future:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/corp/display/index.jhtml

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/corp/display/overview.jhtml

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 10-29-2003 11:49 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Plasma screens, as amazing as they are technically, are not suitable for general consumer use for all the reasons noted. $3000 and up for an EDTV monitor that has all those other "issues" like burn, heat, etc. and can't do satisfactory blacks? [thumbsdown]

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-29-2003 03:29 PM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last Christmas I looked at the price of plasma, and opted for a 57" HD Hitachi rear projection which I love. Unfortunately, my wife then went out and bought a $3500 wall unit to surround it. Guess what...back to the price of plasma and then some. Anyhow, I recently picked up two LCD's, a 15" flat conventional and a 17" wide HD. Talk about terrific. I can see they have an amazing future.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 10-29-2003 04:25 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could this mean that Sony will not support SDDS any longer?

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-29-2003 04:30 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You mean they support it now?

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 10-29-2003 04:31 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, I was trying to make a joke.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-29-2003 05:06 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's the latest on HiFED technology? Some electronics industry people believe that process has a good shot at upending plasma-based displays.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: