Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » And the next James Bond is... Wolverine?!? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: And the next James Bond is... Wolverine?!?
Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2003 06:00 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hugh Jackman as the new James Bond?

Clive Owen is now stating that he will not be the new James Bond, but rumors have it that Hugh Jackman could be the man to replace Pierce Brosnan.

World Entertainment News Network reports that Jackman is the top contender for the role. It should be noted that Brosnan still plans to do the next Bond movie before possibly stepping down from the spot.

Other rumored contenders include Ioan Gruffudd, Jeremy Northam, and Paul Bettany.

and in other Bond Related News...

Halle Berry's Jinx Gets Canned

So much for the Bond spin-off...

The much talked about James Bond spin-off starring Halle Berry, titled Jinx, has been canned. MGM has pulled the plug on the movie for unknown reasons. Focus is now going to the 21st James Bond film which will start shooting in 2005.

Credit: Variety

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-27-2003 06:16 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think they should make a jamesBond film with him retred with Connery and Maxwell retired to there country estate (living in Sin of course) with Odd Job as there butler and a furry white cat that hangs around:)

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 10-27-2003 07:24 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon - Odd Job died in Fort Know a long time ago.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-27-2003 07:38 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yah but one must remember in movies people get either resurected, clonned, or the identical twin surfaces [Smile]

Ron Yost
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2003 07:57 PM      Profile for Ron Yost   Email Ron Yost   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It'd have to be a clone as the guy who payed OddJob is dead, IIRC. For real dead.

Ron Yost

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 10-27-2003 09:34 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why do they want to replace Pierce Brosnan or did he quit (after waiting so long to get to play the part)? Isn't a Bond generally good for at least 10 years?

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 10-28-2003 12:12 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
By the time the next bond comes out it will be close to ten years. Last I read Brosnan will be back for one more Bond but has stated that He is growing tired of the physical work it takes to play the character.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-28-2003 12:48 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The whole Bond franchise is getting pretty boring to me. If they want to spice things up, they should really get Chris Elliott for the role. That would be entertaining!

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-28-2003 07:36 AM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would be great to hand over one film to a good suspense director and actually film a Fleming story. In the hands of the right person, the book "The Spy Who Loved Me" could make a taught thriller. Kind of return to its origins.

Unfortunately, the problem is that it isn't wide in scope and wouldn't fit into the formula people now expect from the series, as evidenced by what Eon did to the story in 1977.

John Scott
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-28-2003 11:10 PM      Profile for John Scott   Email John Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only problem with that Hillary is that when Fleming sold the rights to the books to Broccoli and Saltzman, one of the stipulations was that if they were to use "Spy Who Loved Me", they were only allowed to use the title. Fleming didn't like how the story in the book turned out and said it could never be adapted into a Bond movie in any form.

Having read all of the books, I see where Fleming was coming from there, but I really did appreciate the effort that Fleming made to try and escape from the format he had gotten himself locked into, even though it wasn't 100% successful.

Remember, Fleming had gotten bored with the Bond character after the 5th book, "From Russia With Love" and intended the kick that Rosa Kleb gave him in the hotel room to be a fatal blow. He was convinced to bring Bond back by his publisher in Dr. No, because the books had become so successful due to Kennedy listing it as one of his favorite books.

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-29-2003 08:17 AM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I read that at some point, the producers were only allowed to use the titles, although after that point, many story elements from the books were used in the films, most notably "For Your Eyes Only," which combines two short stories from the FYEO collection, plus the paravane/shark scene from the book "Live and Let Die." Was it just on specific titles like TSWLM? I still think that would make a decent little indy film if done properly. I think it was John Huston who once said that he'd rather try to film a bad book than a good one, so he could improve the story rather than be criticized for not following it properly (very much paraphrased, there).

And didn't Fleming end the series AGAIN at the end of "You Only Live Twice" with Bond blissfully unaware of his past, living the rest of his life in Japan? And then brought back one more time in "The Man With The Golden Gun"..?

The gadgets are getting very silly (invisible Aston Martin), and it's time again to bring Bond back down to earth, but apparently a small motel in the woods is not quite the answer. [Big Grin] These days, it seems like Jack Bauer from 24 has more in common with Ian Fleming's character than the movie Bond.

John Scott
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-29-2003 08:55 AM      Profile for John Scott   Email John Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is correct. Bond was only brought back in the posthumously published "The Man With The Golden Gun", which was taken from a first draft found in Fleming's notes. Its clear it was a working draft though, the book is terrible.

And yes, the movie "Bond" has gotten very far from the Bond of the books. Unfortunately time and again, moviegoers have voted with their pocketbooks and have said they don't want a Bond like the books (On Her Majesty's Secret Service, License to Kill)

As for the movies like For Your Eyes Only, Octopussy, and A View From A Kill, those three books were short story compilations (or the actual short story titles) and as such, they merged a couple of the short stories into these films.

I think the only (or one of the few) actual Fleming Bond titles still available for use is "Risco" "Quantum of Solace" and "The Hildebrand Rarity", titles that probably wouldn't be conducive to a film.

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-29-2003 07:37 PM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love discussing Bond!

I agree, they ran out of good titles a while ago. LIVING DAYLIGHTS was the last actual Fleming title used if I remember correctly.

My biggest beef with the series is that other producers used to copy the Bond films. Now the Bond films copy other movies (increasingly others within the series). No longer the gold standard in the action genre. While it would be nice to see something more along the lines of OHMSS, I'll still see new ones as long as they keep making them.

As for Hugh Jackman, how many more X-MEN films are planned, and would his appearance in those affect his eligibility as Bond?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-29-2003 08:23 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To me James Bond movies ment gorgeous girls fast cars gentelmanly violence and special effects that were reel not digital lets show off

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-29-2003 10:14 PM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Exactly what Gordon said. Bond movies don't have the greatest stories.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: