Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Scariest Movie (Scenes) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Scariest Movie (Scenes)
Ron Keillor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2003 03:22 AM      Profile for Ron Keillor   Email Ron Keillor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Shining tops screen horrors
Actor Jack Nicholson's cry of "Here's Johnny" as he axes his way through a door in pursuit of his wife is the most terrifying screen moment of all time, according to a poll.
The scene in Stanley Kubrick's The Shining topped a poll for a Channel 4 special on The 100 Scariest Moments on TV and film.

It beat classic terror scenes such as the head-spinning scene in the 1973 horror film The Exorcist and the moment a severed head tumbles from a hole in a boat in Steven Spielberg's Jaws.

A run down of the top 50 scenes was shown by Channel 4 on Sunday night.

Viewers voted for their top scene over a number of weeks after a shortlist was drawn up by a panel of experts.

Two of the scenes are from once-banned "video nasties", The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974) and The Evil Dead (1981) .

They were both chosen for their overall effect rather than specific moments.

The oldest film in the list is the notorious shower scene from Alfred Hitchcock's groundbreaking film Psycho, which dates back to 1960 and was in 11th spot.
The most recent entry, in 18th position, is the scene of fleeing zombies in UK hit 28 Days Later, directed by Danny Boyle.

The scene in The Shining has become one of cinema's iconic images and Nicholson is said to have ad-libbed the famous line.

The film is based on a Stephen King novel of the same name and established Nicholson as an actor for crazed roles.

Horror films remain one of the most popular film genres - a remake of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre recently topped the US box office.

The show's producer Mark Murray said: "The top 10 is full of images which have now entered pop culture history.

"Anyone who has seen Jaws will never feel the same way again about dipping their toe into the ocean.

"And the winning 'Here's Johnny' scene from The Shining has become one of the most iconic screen images of all time, spoofed by other films and countless TV shows over the years."

The 10 top scary moments are:

1. The Shining (1980) - Jack Nicholson chops through the door and shouts "Here's Johnny!"
2. The Exorcist (1973) - Possessed girl's rotating head and projectile vomit
3. Jaws (1975) - Severed head falls from boat
4. Alien (1979) - Alien bursts out of John Hurt's chest
5. The Blair Witch Project (1999) - Heather Donahue in tears in the woods
6. Ring (1998) - Sadako crawls through the television
7. Halloween (1978) - Serial killer Michael's face appears behind Jamie Lee Curtis in a house full of dead bodies
8. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974) - Leatherface's general reign of terror
9. The Omen (1976) - Oscar-winning eerie music score
10. A Nightmare On Elm Street (1984) - First appearance of horror icon Freddy Krueger

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/entertainment/film/3215471.stm

Published: 2003/10/27 00:46:52 GMT

|  IP: Logged

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 10-27-2003 03:52 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The scariest movie moment ever for me was of course the cellar scene at the end of "Silence Of The Lambs". That was also about the only film which I left shaking with nervousness for a couple of minutes.
All the moments above are essentially booscare moments.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2003 07:18 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ever seen the movie "The Uninvited" (1940)?

The film is dark anyway, but the first time that the ghost appears at the top of the stairs gives me the creeps every time I see it.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-27-2003 12:41 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally I thought the moment in Jaws where Roy Scheider says "I'll give you slow-ahead...why don't you come down here and chum some of this shit?" and then the shark lunges out of the water (for the first time) was scarier than the head-drop scene. When Hooper was poking around under that boat, you just KNEW something was gonna happen, where the shark-lunge was totally unexpected.

My favorite horror movie "jump scene" is from "Carrie" (1976) where Carrie's hand pops out of the ground and grabs Amy Irving.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 10-27-2003 01:19 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
For me it's gotta be the whole movie "The Mothman Prophecies". I watched it the other night and had to turn on EVERY frickin' light in my house.

Even so, my goose-bumps had goose-bumps! YIKES!

>>> Phil

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-27-2003 08:47 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Jaws" was indeed a very scary movie (and one of my all time favorites). But the one that always got me was the incident in the beginning where the skinny dipping girl gets attacked. I think one of the things that made it so scary was you couldn't see the shark in that darkness and were left to imagine what might have been down there. To add to the tension, the fellow who intended to skinny dip with the girl was passed out on the beach --so she had no help at all and was all alone when the attack happend.

Here's another one that freaked me out when I saw it: that scene in "Poltergeist" where the guy runs into the bathroom after taking a bite of a maggot infested chicken drumstick. He proceeds to tear his face off. Very very disturbing.

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2003 09:09 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's a couple that use elements of horror and scaryness and tension, rather than visual stuff.

The 1963 version of The Haunting... You never see a ghost but oh baby is it scary. This film doesn't play much anymore around here, but when it does, you can't get near the theater

Alien....There's actually not much screen time for the creature, but talk about tension. Excellent directing

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 10-27-2003 09:35 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's only a brief scare but the bit with emaciated corpse of the mother at the end of Psycho and Norman Bates coming after them.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 10-28-2003 12:09 AM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite after all these years: The Innocents (1961). The scene with Deborah Kerr playing hide-and-seek...

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 10-28-2003 12:20 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually the movie that scared me the most was I believe a Made for t.v. film, at least that is where I saw it, called The Bugs.

It was about the bugs that came up from the ground after an earthquake. They had the ability to start fires. A scientist tried cross breading them with some other species, I can't remember what, and all hell started to break loose. The gained knowledge and could spell words on the walls just buy linning up. It was freaky.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 10-28-2003 12:45 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
To add to the tension, the fellow who intended to skinny dip with the girl was passed out on the beach --so she had no help at all and was all alone when the attack happend.

What could he have done if he hadn`t passed out?

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 10-28-2003 01:39 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, did you know that chick in the beginning of Jaws had Dandruff..............They found her head and shoulders on the beach. [Big Grin]

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-28-2003 07:45 AM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Head and Shoulders! LOL!

I did read that Spielberg used the same actress to spoof the "JAWS" skinny-dipping scene in "1941," with the Japanese sub.

For me, it's the original "Invasion of the Body Snatchers." No horror scenes to speak of, but overall scary as hell. Incredible filmmaking. The more "normal" things are, they scarier they seem! Always must check the basement for pods. The remake was cool with Kevin McCarthy apparently still screaming, "They're here, already!" In that movie, the dog with the human face really got to me and still freaks me out.

German Marin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-28-2003 12:19 PM      Profile for German Marin   Email German Marin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"The Others"
When the little children were into the closet and suddenly the old woman appears!
It seems in the movie that all the dead are really alive.

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-28-2003 04:08 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The mothman prophecies was pretty freaky, but I didnt get scared.

That dog from invasion of the body snatchers was chilling, but the best scene was when donald sutherland was beating in the head of one of his doubles.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: