Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » a comparison of the major 7 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: a comparison of the major 7
John Lasher
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-26-2003 08:07 PM      Profile for John Lasher   Author's Homepage   Email John Lasher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
  • Movies released to US theatres in 2002
  • Movies from 2002 which rated 6 (out of 10) or better (with at least 200 votes) on IMDB
1. MGM
2. Fox
3. Buena Vista
4. Paramount
5. Warner Bros.
6. Sony
7. Universal

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 10-26-2003 08:25 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where's New Line and DreamWorks? They are far more of a 'major' these days than MGM is...

-Aaron

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-26-2003 09:15 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What ever happened to RKO?

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-26-2003 09:23 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heh heh. Remember Cannon Films and the two headed monster Menacham Golan and Yoram Globus? I think I can count on one hand how many halfway decent movies they made ("52 Pick Up", "Runaway Train"). Most of their stuff was pure [bs] , such as the last Christopher Reeve "Superman" movie.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 10-26-2003 09:50 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dino had his share of stinkers, too.
 - [puke]

John Lasher
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-26-2003 09:56 PM      Profile for John Lasher   Author's Homepage   Email John Lasher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
a confession:

I did this comparison as I did expecting MGM to do the best (which they did) but, now that you mention it...

New Line
Dreamworks is figured into the Universal and Fox stats.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 10-26-2003 11:08 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
KING KONG LIVES [Big Grin]

Come on Bobby, you know Death Wish 3 and Invasion U.S.A were the best Cannon releases of 1985. [Big Grin]

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2003 07:26 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Right-On Darryl!

What about Delta Force? This is a fine piece of cinema, too.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 10-27-2003 09:49 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What ever happened to RKO?
Howard Hughes bought the studio in 1948 and subsequently split it into two divisions (RKO Pictures and RKO Theatres) in the aftermath of the Paramount ruling. RKO Pictures was sold off to a shell company owned by General Tire and Rubber in 1959 which dismantled and asset-stripped the company. The studio itself was sold to a TV company in that year. I've no idea who owns the trade mark and rights to the 'Radio Pictures' logo now.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 10-27-2003 10:37 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The studio itself was sold to a TV company in that year.
It was sold to Desilu, which later sold it to Gulf-Western. The then parent company of Paramount Pictures. You can still see the old RKO studio globe, a top the sound stage at the corner of Melrose Ave and Gower Street.

During the 80's RKO Pictures did return with a small slate of pictures.
  • The Best Little Whore House in Texas (Universal 1982)
    The Border (Universal 1982)
    Cat People (Universal 1982)
    D.C. Cab (Universal 1982)
    Half Moon Street (Hemsdale 1986)
    Hamburger Hill (Paramount 1987)

Aaron Sisemore

- posted 10-27-2003 11:37 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I've no idea who owns the trade mark and rights to the 'Radio Pictures' logo now.
The logos and some of the movie rights are owned by none other than RKO Pictures LLC, a still-active production company.

quote:
During the 80's RKO Pictures did return with a small slate of pictures.
As well as a few in the 90's, to include co-producing Disney's 'Mighty Joe Young'.

-Aaron

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2003 05:13 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Released to theaters in 2002"? Those numbers seem to include films from late 2001 that played into 2002.

Buena Vista released more pictures than Warner Bros.? That's curious -- Warners has the biggest release schedule of anyone in Hollywood.

I assume the Sony numbers include the Revolution Studios slate. I also assume the Fox numbers are for 20th and Searchlight combined.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-06-2003 11:17 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Darrel and Bruce, who could forget those Cannon gems like "Over the Top," or "Down Twisted"? I still remember those shamelessly ego-driven promos for "Tough Guys Don't Dance" with Norman Mailer reading reviews of how great his book was. Sure, my father has a signed first edition of it, but I don't think too many pages have been flipped through it. The movie sucked much ass. Maybe the title should have been "Tough Guys Should Not Make Movies That Suck Ass."

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2003 11:20 PM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bobby,

your forgot to mention the Stallone " gem " Cobra to the Cannon list. [Wink]

Aaron Sisemore

- posted 11-07-2003 01:19 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Though Cannon-produced, 'Cobra' was a Warner Bros. release in the US... This was just after Cannon's several-picture deal with Tri-Star (which gave us such timeless schlockfests such as 'Lifeforce' (aka 'Space Vampires') and Breakin II:Electric Boogaloo') had expired...

-Aaron

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: