Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » So what other Video Games would you like to see as a movie, If Any? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: So what other Video Games would you like to see as a movie, If Any?
Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-23-2003 08:55 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Silent Hill has been given a provisional movie deal from I believe New Line. Also word is that Konami has been trying to shop around a few of their titles most notiably Castlevania, Contra and Metal Gear. Any one else have any old or new favorites they would like to see on the big screen. Or do you guys think that all video game movies suck (any body remember Super Mario Bros).

|  IP: Logged

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 10-23-2003 09:16 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Diablo!!!!!!

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-23-2003 10:45 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most video game movies suck. With that in mind, I'm not sure I would want some of my favorites going into film development.

The biggest problem with video games is most have little to no story arc. In screenwriting class, you'll get hit with the question: "what does a story have?" The correct answer: a beginning, a middle and an end. Most video games have no end, other than the game usually gets too difficult and you die, or your ability is so great that playing turns into an endurance contest and you still eventually die.

Back in the 1980's I was fairly addicted to those Williams Electronics coin-op games like Defender, Joust, Sinistar and especially Robotron: 2084. I could drop one quarter in a Robotron machine play for hours on end, I was that good at it. As simple as those games are in concept, I strongly doubt one could make a decent movie out of them.

As far as 1990's games go, the games from Id Software have redefined the standards bar. I played the hell out of "Quake 2" and online players have hated my prowess with the rail gun. I suppose someone could possibly make a movie out of "Doom" or even "Quake". Either of those titles has great on-screen visual potential, but the visuals would need to be consistent with the games so as not to piss off fans. But the story and actors performances are the most important aspect. And that's where I'm not so sure either could fly. As movies, they might come off as a re-hash of "Aliens."

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-23-2003 11:18 PM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I heard that there was a Doom movie in the works. That was in the mid-1990's though.

I thought Metal Gear Solid would make a great movie. As well as " The Getaway " ( not to be confused with the Alec Baldwin movie ).

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 10-24-2003 12:15 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Missle Command.

Pong.

Breakout.

How about Lode Runner? Sierra Software did a fun adaptation of the character for Lode Runner The Legend Returns.

Marble Madness. Just for the music. And it would all be in 3D animation except nothing would ever diminish into the distance, and the camera perspective would never move. On the dvd the viewer could have the option of watching the dvd with there head tilted 90 degrees (normal) or 45 degrees ("enhanced").

How about we install a big giant mat in the theatre and everyone in the theatre could jog in place to make the runner on the screen move.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 10-24-2003 12:19 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All of my favourite games were already turned into movie (equipment).

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 10-24-2003 12:36 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do remember hearing that there was possibly to be a movie (I believe it was to be animated) based on the adventures of Dick Niccum...ahem... I mean Duke Nukem [Big Grin] but apparently it never panned out.

I am still awaiting the movie version of 'Tron 2.0' but apparently the game got the higher priority. [Roll Eyes]

God forbid that the LIVE-ACTION PAC-MAN MOVIE that was greenlit last year ever makes it to production [Eek!]

Some other games that would make good live-action or animated movies:

SiN
Quake
Shadow Warrior... oh wait... Tarantino did that one already with a female lead [Wink]
Interstate '76

-Aaron

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-24-2003 01:02 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always thought the natural sequel for Pac-Man would have been "Diet Pac-Man." The little yellow guy eats too many dots, slows down and gets stuck in the walls. Bouncing diet pills restore his slender physique. Then he eats one of four steroid pills and goes on a kill-crazy rampage slaughtering the ghosts, Ms. Pac-Man and anyone else that got in the way! [evil]

Hmm. Maybe I missed my calling as a video game designer.

German Marin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-24-2003 04:48 PM      Profile for German Marin   Email German Marin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I vote for "The Legend of Zelda". It could be a trilogy or more.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-24-2003 05:25 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really wish they'd leave Castlevania alone. It's one of my favorite game series of all time and it does not need to be raped into a movie. Contra would be a good shoot-em-up action movie, though. It'd be about two guys running and doing triple flips while shooting guns at aliens. Silent Hill has a great story (especially the second game)... it could make a great psychological thriller, which are always better than horror movies when done correctly.

Games that need to be made into movies:
  • Thunder Force 3
  • Space Harrier
  • Out Run 2
  • Super Monkey Ball (best game ever)
  • Phantasy Star (part 1)
  • Shenmue 1-3
  • Radiant Silvergun
  • Tetris
  • Ms Pac Man
  • F-Zero
  • John Madden Football '92

Bill Carter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-24-2003 05:30 PM      Profile for Bill Carter   Email Bill Carter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about:

Frogger: The Motion Picture

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-24-2003 09:44 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Zelda. As long as it was a real epic and they didn't try to turn it into some dumb action movie. Either the Ocarina of time or Link's awakening alone woul dbe good movies.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-25-2003 03:03 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frogger: The Motion Picture? Well, there's two problems. One: the movie would have only one act. Enter frog, splat! Problem two: the MPAA would slap it with an NC-17 rating because if you're going to be realistic about what car tires do to fragile froggy bodies you just have to have a "money shot" of the frog's guts ejecting out of his mouth!

On the upside, you could ramp up the sub-bass for emulating the signature sound effect when Frogger gets squashed.

Another movie suggestion: Q-Bert. Remember that coin-op game? Pyramid playing field. Lots of balls bouncing. Then there's a snake that farts when it bounces. I just want a good PG-13 version of "Q-Bert" so I can finally hear for myself what phrases of profanity Q-Bert uses when he gets knocked on the head. The coin-op game was cool because when Q-Bert fell off the pyramid you would hear and feel his body smack on the bottom of the video game cabinet.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-25-2003 08:42 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's more funny to hear jibberish when Q*Bert "cusses". You can play that game on the emulator MAME if you have it (I think you need the sound samples serperately). I remember playing that game at the grocery store when I was a little bastard of 8 years. I'd ride my bike down to the store across several busy streets just to play that.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-25-2003 08:54 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I vote for "Asteroids."

And I second the recommendations for "Pong" and "Tetris."

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: