Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Unemployed (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Unemployed
Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-23-2003 03:35 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I have joined the ranks of the unemployed as of 1:30PM today. I was the sacrificial lamb for my area and got the axe.
I think I have come to terms with this but that remains to be seen. I have never been in this situation before and am a little scared. Your kind thoughts are appreciated.

|  IP: Logged

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-23-2003 03:58 PM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I know how you feel. Some years ago the company I was working for was downsizing and came out with some really juicy buyout offers (a year's pay, you keep your company car, you get all your vested retirement and profit sharing--a honey of a deal). Well, I took it and the next morning had breakfast with a friend who offered me a good job. I told him I needed a couple of weeks to think about it and proceeded to call everyone under the sun to see if something better was out there. Even though I had 3 more months at my old job, I took the first one offered after two weeks because I was going nuts at the idea of being out of work. To this day I think I should have hung out longer, but I couldn't stand it. Sam, I have no idea what you do, but I sure wish you well.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 10-23-2003 04:03 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't worry too much.
I've been canned from more jobs than I can remember and for more silly reasons that you can dream up.

One time, it was only after two weeks on the job at a security department. The boss (Security Manager) was on the take and he didn't like the idea that I (The lowly guard) wouldn't play his crooked game. I wasn't the first one to get the axe like that but I WAS the last. You see, because of the boss's high turnover rate I had to go through a special exit interview. I told the personnel manager exactly what I knew (thought) was happening. The guy went down in flames less than a month after I left.

Moral: It's a bad thing to happen but it's not the end of the world. The ass holes who did this to you will eventually get theirs.

Just take it easy for a short time. Cash a couple unemployment checks. Then go get yourself a new job. In a while you'll probably think to yourself, "Why did I ever stay at that damn job so long?!" [Wink]

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 10-23-2003 04:49 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Pursue the "Spell-Check" Keyboard! As the "inventor" you can spell it any damn way you want. Daryl is just too anal retentive. If I was that way, I would have corrected him and said the correct spelling was with a hyphen... But, I won't say that.. [beer]

Hang in there Sam, it will work out...and it will be better! Honest!

>>> Phil

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-23-2003 04:53 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam,

Sorry to hear about your job loss. TAke the negative and turn it into a positive, as my grandfather would say.

The job market isn't as tough as the media and politicans lead us to believe. You'll find another job... and hopefully, a more rewarding and enjoyable job to boot!

Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-23-2003 05:04 PM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jason, that's a rather naive statement. As someone close to someone that is in the unemployed dept, I can say that the job market is indeed rather tough, depending on the type of job that fits your skills.

Sure, anyone can get a job at the TSA (They'll hire anyone) but when your a network admin with a Bachelor degree in IT Management, you have a quite a bit of a tougher time.

Is the job market getting better than say 2 months ago? Yes, is it "good" or even "fair" - absolutely not.

That being said, there are jobs out there, you just have to be patient (very), get your resume updated and references lined up, and keep hunting.

Sam, good luck in obtaining new employment.

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-23-2003 05:17 PM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry to hear that Sam. I was laid off my job Sept 16. I used to work at a label print shop. It was a good little company but then they hired the " typical suit " and gave him co-president status. He has made so many changes to the company that everyone is very unhappy.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-23-2003 06:02 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck in the job search

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-23-2003 06:24 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Best of luck, Sam.

I went thru an unemployment earlier this year, but I found a better job, though not in a theatre, like I wanted!

Hang in there.

Mike Fitzgerald
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-23-2003 07:55 PM      Profile for Mike Fitzgerald   Email Mike Fitzgerald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wish you the best and know you will find something it just takes time. I was also cut from my job a year + ago and it gave me the chance to get my degree. I hope to graduate in August of next year witha 2 year degree in Electronics Engineering. What am I going to do I have no idea but at 49 I will not go back to 12 hour rotating shifts. Sit back take your time and find something you really wish to do. Good Luck

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 10-23-2003 08:43 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have a guitar? A banjo will do too.

Am D G Em
Some things in life are bad they can really make you mad
Am D G
Other things just make you swear and curse
Am D
When you've chewing an life's gristle
G Em
Don't grumble give a whistle
Am D7
And this'll help things turn out for the best

G Em Am D7 G Em Am D7
And always look on the bright side of life
G Em Am D7 G Em Am D7
Always look on the light side of life

Am D G Em
If life seems jolly rotten there's something you've forgotten
Am D G
and that's to laugh and smile and dance and sing.
Am D G Em
When you've feeling in the dumps don't be silly chumps
Am D7
Just purse your lips and whistle - that's the thing

G Em Am D7 G Em Am D7
G Em Am D7 G Em Am D7
Come on always look on the bright side of life

Am D G Em
For life is quite absurd and death's the final word
Am D G
you must always face the curtain with a bow
Am D G Em
Forget about your sin - give the audience a grin
Am D7
Enjoy it - it's your last chance anyhow.

G Em Am D7 G Em Am D7
So always look on the bright side of death
G Em Am D7 G Em Am D7
just before you draw your terminal breath

Am D G Em
Life's a pice if shit when you look at it
Am D G
Life's a laugh and death's a joke it's true
Am D
You'll see it's all a show
G Em
keep'em laughing as you go
Am D7
just remember that the last laugh is on you

G Em Am D7 G Em Am D7
G Em Am D7 G Em Am D7
Always look on the right side of life
(Come on guys, cheer up)
A F# Bm E7 A F# Bm E7
Always look on the right side of life
A F# Bm E7 A F# Bm E7
Always look on the right side of life ....

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 10-23-2003 08:54 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck, Sam. May your leisure gap provide you exactly the length of R&R your nerves require and your finances permit, then rejoin the ranks of gainfully employed.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 10-23-2003 08:55 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck Sam. [thumbsup]

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 10-23-2003 09:17 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam, something will always come up.

I remember when Southsound was sold. I had no real use for the company that bought the place so I knew that when the "Operating Agreement" was over, I was gone unless I accepted minimum wage.

When that happened, it wasn't a week later when I found out my other job might be in jeprody because that company sold also.

I was merged into the new company of my part-time job at the same wage. All in all, things worked out real well.

Now, sometimes I have too much work to do. [Smile]

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-23-2003 09:18 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys for all the support. [thumbsup]
It means a lot to me to know that you guys care and that I have friends out there after all.
Micheal, I like your tune and my son will loan me his guitar and I will try it.
Again, thanks guys.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: