Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Sean, Shane, Shawn, Pronunciation (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Sean, Shane, Shawn, Pronunciation
Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 10-18-2003 04:02 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
I got into a discussion with ....well, that's not important right now… about how to pronounce the various variations of "that" name.

I would like to know from those that are so endowed/blessed with that name as to how they pronounce their name.

Does Shawn rhyme with dawn?

Does Shane rhyme with chain?

Does Sean rhyme with scene like in "Scene 12, Take 5"?

Or are all pronounced "Shawn" so as to rhyme with dawn?

>>>Phil

|  IP: Logged

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 10-18-2003 04:15 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does Shawn rhyme with dawn? Almost, the 'aw' bit tends to be slightly longer.

Does Shane rhyme with chain? Yes.

Does Sean rhyme with scene like in "Scene 12, Take 5"? No, either the same as Shawn, or more like si-orn.

At least that's how they are in my bart of the world. Pronunction tends to vary from place to place. If I was to go a couple of hundred kilometres North to Birmingham (England, not AL) they would, no doubt pronounce them differently; but then they all talk funny in Birmingham, can't understand a word they say!

Seriously, pronounciation
does vary considerably, though Professor Higgins in 'My Fair Lady' is a bit exaggerated.

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-18-2003 05:06 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the female side:

Sian is pronounced Sharn
Siobahn is pronounced Sh-varn or Sh-vorn

At least hereabouts [Wink]

And as for Phil Hill is that pronounced Fill Ill or Feel Eel? [Big Grin]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-18-2003 05:16 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
[Phil Hill] prefers "coot" (just like it sounds).

Shane Hoffmann
Film Handler

- posted 10-18-2003 11:12 AM      Profile for Shane Hoffmann   Email Shane Hoffmann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shane is a completely different name than Shawn, Sean, etc.

It amazes me that everytime I meet someone new. I'll introduce myself as SHANE, and at least half of the time they will call me SHAWN for quite a while before getting it straight. Is it really that hard?

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 10-18-2003 11:26 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who could get THAT wrong?
"Shaaaane! Come back, Shane!"

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 10-18-2003 03:35 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How do you pronounce Phil? Does it rhyme with Hill?

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-18-2003 03:43 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Bei mir bist du schoen (pronounced shane) "

("To me you are handsome (beautiful, good looking)"
Music by Sholom Secunda; Yiddish lyrics by Jacob Jacobs.
Big hit by the Andrews Sisters; English lyrics by Sammy Cahn & Saul Chaplin, 1937

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 10-18-2003 05:02 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Stephen for your "civil" response. [thumbsup]

Some of yous are jerks... Ummm Brad! I asked a sincere question, not some "female" response! Dick! [Razz]

For the un-enlightened, "Phil" is pronounced by most people as "fill". But, some places in the UK and in the US deep south I've been called (among other things) "feel". In Japan I am called "Gaijin". [Razz]

"Hill" does indeed rhyme with "fill".

I hope that is clear to all you pussy-asses! Mike! [evil]

And "SHANE" I totally understand your feelings... there are plenty of stupid people out there.... [Razz]

>>> Phil ("Fill" NOT "FEEL") [Big Grin]

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 10-18-2003 05:19 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a former stage manager for The Wayner at the Sands Hotel, I must give the obligatory plug for his hit Danke Schoen (Kurt Schwabach & Milt Gabler/Bert Kaempfert)...

Phil, in your case I thought it was henna gaijin [evil]
I would know--mine was baka gehin gaijin [beer]

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 10-18-2003 05:34 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul! I "KNEW" when I posted that, you would comment! It was "bait" for you! Hahahhaha [beer]

>>> Phil

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 10-18-2003 06:29 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bei mir bist du schoen (pronounced shane)

Um...no. Not in German anyway. It should be "Bei mir bist du schön" and that is more of a "shern" than "shane."

As a former stage manager for The Wayner at the Sands Hotel, I must give the obligatory plug for his hit Danke Schoen

Well the Wayner has been pronouncing it wrong all these years. The "Danke shane" pronunciation has always made me cringe.

But I will defer to Michael for the definitive answer.

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-18-2003 08:39 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Bei mir bist du schoen,
I'll try to explain,
It means you're the fairest in the land.
I could say 'Bella, bella'
Even say 'Vunderbar'
In any language...I could tell you..[not sure of this line]
How grand you are! " etc.
(English lyrics copyright 1937 by Cahn & Chaplin)

Steve,
Of course in German schoen is pronounced <shurn> (rhymes with churn) but if you "Dress British, Speak Yiddish" it's pronounced <shane> (rhymes with explain)
Gerard

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 10-18-2003 08:44 PM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where is Sean McKinnon, I'm waiting for him to chime in... He always complains that people say "seen" instead of "shawn".

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 10-18-2003 09:00 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gerard is right. The "shane" pronunciation is the the Yiddish variation (Yiddish itself can be either seen as a separate language closely related to German or a German dialect).
However, it is also used in some German dialects. In the Berlin dialect you can use both pronunciations. That in turn is probably because it contains a lot of Yiddish elements ("Ganove, Schlamassel, Kittchen" - Gerard, do you know what these mean?).

The qoted songs are always sung "shane" also in German.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: