Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Camcorder top lights - Recommendations? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Camcorder top lights - Recommendations?
Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-17-2003 06:42 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since several forum members here actively shoot video I figured it might be okay to post this here.

I'm thinking about getting a top light for my palmcorder, but need some recommendations. Apparently Panasonic doesn't make top lights to fit its cameras. It is either that or their website has such bad navigation that you cannot find them. Anyway, it would be kind of nice to have a top light to stick on the hot-shoe for some party videography and other fun nonsense like that.

The hot shoe on my camera appears to be a standard type. I have one of those little Panasonic PV-GS70 3CCD models (a decent under $1000 tide-me-over camera to have while I wait for something that shoots native 16:9 and 24p).

|  IP: Logged

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2003 06:49 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I forget the brand name, I think it's SIMA, that makes a 20watt light, that you can buy at Frys for $40. It's nice and bright, but I'd suggest using a scrim with it possibly. It's pretty heavy with the given battery, but I'm sure there's replaceable batteries that are less heavier.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-17-2003 06:58 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bobby you will be near a Fry's at the end of the month. We'll go and get you one and then we'll all go out to eat (you pay).

Actually I think I may have a hot-shoe light that came with an old Canon a long time ago. I don't know if I know exactly where it is. If I can find it, you can have it. I'll need a picture of your hot shoe, though. Does it take a two-pronged thingy?

EDIT: I found the light. Does your camera accept something that looks like this?
 -

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 10-17-2003 07:10 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll come to... I'm hungry and Bobby's paying. [thumbsup]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-17-2003 09:05 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is the net result of using a light on top of todays camcorders give you the same effect that the old super 8 movie lights did? Such as everyone covering up their face as the blinding light went by them.....? I ahve old home movies in which I swear everyone had a sun tan!! With the higher sensitivity of todays cameras I would assume it to be less intrusive...?
Mark

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 10-17-2003 09:33 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That reminds me that I have here the wreckage of a MARC 350 lamp that suffered a physical calamity that destroyed the reflector but not the quartz tube. (I wasn't party to the disaster; just picked up the pieces as a souvenir.) The bulbous part of the tube is smaller than the end of my little finger. That would make a heck of a camera light! Just need an ignitor... [Eek!]

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-18-2003 01:10 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a picture of the palmcorder in question (no, the palmcorder does not read palms so the hairy kind would be irrelevant).

-

I don't know about all this "Bob's buying dinner" shite! I still need money for studio lights and the Panasonic AG-DVX-1,000,000 DigiCam! (with SteadicamEFP to boot! --do I hear getting a Wescam Helicopter Giro Rig?)

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-18-2003 01:35 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You sure that's a hotshoe, Bobby? It doesn't look like it supplies any kind of power. Looks like a normal shoe.

By the way, how do you do the image fading in Photoshop so smoothly (where the upper layer fades in opacity around the edges)? Doing it the hard way with the eraser tool sucks ass.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-18-2003 02:02 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, crap, I don't know. The manual points out on the diagram "accesory shoe" but doesn't list jack about what can be attached to it. Perhaps a cupholder for my soda?

The nice Photoshoppy fade effect is achieved by using a layer mask. It also helps to have a Wacom tablet. Add one to a layer by clicking one of those little icons on the bottom of the layers pallette. A layer mask is really only an alpha channel linked to a particular layer. You paint values of black into it to hide things and white to reveal things. You can do nice fading effects on a layer without destroying the content on that layer. When you are happy with what you have, you can select "apply layer mask" to permanently apply the fades and delete away those masked out parts of the layer (and do so only to save file size space).

Once you master layer masks then you can play around with linking layers together for different blending effects.

Meanwhile, I'm going to see if I can find any socks that will fit my palmcorder's "accessory shoe."

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 10-18-2003 11:30 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Is the net result of using a light on top of todays camcorders give you the same effect that the old super 8 movie lights did?
Top light = Obie (for my money). I would use it strictly as a fill to get rid of things like nose shadows. To use it as a key would be very harsh.

Travis Hubrig
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-18-2003 03:12 PM      Profile for Travis Hubrig   Email Travis Hubrig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bobby,

Don't you think a light would be a dead give-away when you try to camcorder a movie?

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-18-2003 03:26 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yo, Tim!
I'm listening to Johnny Cash and June Carter singing "Greystone Chapel" at Folsom Prison, and your animated picking on your signature photo goes perfectly with it! Uncanny, I'd say.
Gerard

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 10-18-2003 05:18 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Gerard, I think his pic goes better with the "Dueling Banjos" tune from that thar "river" film! [evil]

>>> Phil

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 10-18-2003 07:05 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Gerard... you can thank Adam for that. [Wink] It's a snappy little jig.

Phil, squeal lak uh pig!
[Razz]

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 10-18-2003 07:17 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Tim... [beer] That's funny!

>>> Phil

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: