Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Fan Interference: THE MOVIE!!! (You go to be kidding) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Fan Interference: THE MOVIE!!! (You go to be kidding)
Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-16-2003 07:38 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs2003/news/story?id=1639664

The story of the Chicago Cubs fan who is being blamed by some for ruining his team's chances of making it to the Cubs' first World Series in 58 years won't be forgotten anytime soon.
An official with Revolution Studios, an independent studio that has produced "Anger Management," "XXX" and the soon-to-be-released "RADIO," confirmed that company officials accepted a pitch for a movie tentatively titled "Fan Interference," which will be based on the premise of a fan hurting his team by getting in the way of a play. Daily Variety, which first reported the story, said the movie is expected to star Kevin James of CBS' "King of Queens."
"It's not clear whether a project like this would ever make it to the screen," said one Hollywood insider. "It depends on if the topic can remain a part of the public's consciousness as well as whether enough of a plot could be written around the incident."
On Tuesday, the Cubs were up 3-0 in the eighth inning when a fan named Steven Bartman, sitting in the front row, reached for a foul ball and deflected it. The ball possibly could have been caught by Cubs leftfielder Moises Alou . After the incident, the Florida Marlins went on to score eight runs in the inning and eventually won the game 8-3. The Marlins advanced to the World Series by winning the decisive game Wednesday night. Bartman has been made a popular scapegoat even though several mistakes caused the Cubs to unravel that night.
On Thursday, memorabilia experts started to speculate on the price the cursed ball Bartman touched would fetch if it were offered at auction in the next couple of weeks.
"No true Cubs fan would want that ball, and I doubt a Florida Marlins fan would pay a lot of money for it," said Richard Russek, president of Grey Flannel, a sports auction house. "If someone paid $10,000 for it, it would be $9,000 too much."
Michael Heffner, managing partner of Leland's, another sports auction house, estimated the ball would command between $5,000 and $10,000 if it ever made it to the open market.
Darren Rovell, who covers sports business, can be reached at darren.rovell@espn3.com.

|  IP: Logged

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 10-16-2003 07:46 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
What a bunch of sour grapes. That ONE action did not lose the game for them, they just were out-played by a better team.

The ball was IN THE STANDS NOT ON THE FIELD! What a bunch of whiners!

>>> Phil

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-16-2003 08:57 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The foul ball looked playable to me. But nevertheless, that's not the out that cost them. That potential double-play ball bobbled by the Cubs' shortstop is really the killer.

I would have preferred to see the Cubs get to the World Series. That would be more exciting than watching an expansion team that came into the league in the early 1990s get there for a second time in just a few years. And then you have the Yankees. Jeez, they're closing in on 40 appearances in the World Series. I could probably live the rest of my life without caring if they go to another World Series. If this year's World Series turns out to be a Yankees-Marlins event, I probably won't watch any of it. It is always more exciting to see teams play in the World Series that have never been there before. Either that or teams that haven't been there in a long time.

Hopefully the Red Sox can hang on. As of this writing, they're leading 4 to 1 in the bottom of the 5th.

Travis Hubrig
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-16-2003 09:07 PM      Profile for Travis Hubrig   Email Travis Hubrig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am with you Bobby,

LONG LIVE THE RED SOX

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 10-16-2003 09:43 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Marlins [Big Grin]
All tickets sold out for the home games with on line ticketing crashing out within minutes of release of tickets [Frown]

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-17-2003 12:32 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh well, it's a Yankees-Marlins World Series. Whoopie doo. Maybe I'll read about who won the series several days from now. Meanwhile, I'll devote all my sports watching interests over to football and hockey. With both the Cubs and Red Sox eliminated the World Series situation is totally uninteresting. Blah! [sleep]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-17-2003 01:49 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yankees = Predictable

Yankees = Boring

Yankees = Yawn... Zzzzzzz.....

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 10-17-2003 04:10 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
You're right Bobby, it will be one big bore.

>>> Phil

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 10-17-2003 06:43 AM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually it will be a little anti-climatic after the Red Sox series. [Frown]

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-17-2003 08:37 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe that the Sun-Times printed that poor kid's name! If I were in his shoes, I'd be seriously concerned for my personal safety right about now. Sad, especially since he a) didn't do anything that any other fan wouldn't do (as evidenced by the others who were grabbing for the ball at the same time) and b) wasn't the reason why the Cubs lost.

Anyway, the series will be anticlimactic at best, especially for those of us who were hoping for Cubs-Sox.

Meanwhile, us Sox fans have a few months to recover before next season.

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2003 02:19 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This seems relevent to the topic at hand.

-

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2003 05:44 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Revolution Studios is the company that brought the world Gigli. [Big Grin]

Maybe studio boss Joe Roth can convince Bennifer to get back together again on screen in this flick.

FWIW, Revolution is NOT "an independent studio". It releases its titles through Sony and has a TV deal with Fox.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2003 06:51 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I recall correctly, the Yankees haven't won the last few series, since the Diamondbacks kicked them off their pedestal. I'll be watching it, though with limited interest, just to hopefully see the Yankees lose again. Would have been nice for a Red Sox/Cubs matchup though.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 10-18-2003 11:36 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If either the Sox or the Cubbies had made it, it would be much more interesting.

And, a MOVIE about the fan-catch?! PUH-LEEZE! They're getting mighty thin... story departments, that is. The fan didn't lose the playoffs for them. What about all the screw-ups by the PLAYERS - they didn't get themselves in the series?! If it all came down to one out, then they probably didn't need to be there in the first place!

Sheesh!

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-18-2003 02:45 PM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a Pirates fan, I don't feel one bit sorry for the Cubs fans. As a general baseball fan, one side of me did want to see a Cubs-Red Sox series badly. But another side of me wanted to see these two teams suffer another heartbreaking loss after being so close to clinching a series win because they got greedy ownerships who make obscene profits over their fans dog like loyalty.

As far as the fan, I agree he didn't cost them the series. But he is a retard anyway. That 4 eyed illfitting cap wearing Forrest Gump looking dumb headphones laden 26 year old ADULT is a freaking part time baseball coach. He should have known better. I don't buy this "everyone would have done it" thing. First of all, this is NOT THE REGULAR SEASON where the typical fan comes to hang out, catch a few souvenirs, have fun with buddies. The playoffs heighten the whole "winning is everything" vibe of going to watch the game.

I was at Three Rivers Stadium by the 3rd base side when the Pirates played the Braves in one of these annual heartbreaking series losses in the early 90s. Whenever a foul ball even remotely approached our side, people made sure we didn't crowd the fielder. Whenever the Braves came to bat, we instinctively knew that we should give our 3rd baseman as much room as he needed on every play. Whenever the Braves were fielding, we were trying our best to disrupt him by distracting him whenever he came to our side. I can tell you this. If that retard was in our section, we would done him a huge favor and pushed him back as soon as we noticed him raising his hands and save him a lot of grief from other fans.

And what is this idiot doing wearing those headphones the whole time? I know people who listen to the commentary on the side, but not like this guy. This guy just seemed immersed in it before, during and after the incident.

If he is smart, he will cash in on those Florida offers.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: