Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Audience reactions to Kill Bill?

Author Topic: Audience reactions to Kill Bill?
Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-16-2003 07:05 PM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought this would be a good site to get feedback on audience reaction to the movie. First of all, while the teasers were great, I don't think there is that much awareness among the general public about the movie. I have seen the trailer in the theaters only once. And some people at my office didn't know too much about the movie. Some thought it was like Crouching Tiger.

At my showing, 4 or 5 women walked out and two of them dragged their boyfriends/husbands with them. It was a matinee crowd, so you won't expect the biggest Tarantino fans for this showing. People seemed a little restless during the bang bang song because of the repetition. Some people were uncomfortable at the crooked toes closeup and you could see heads turning towards the closest friend sitting next to them with a look which implied "what the hell is this". A family sat in front of me and the 12 or 13 year old kid(seemed like a white version of the Asian American kid in School of Rock) seemed to handle it well even if the genre is ancient for his generation. He was amused by his mom's reactions to the violence and pointed that out to his brother. His mom seemed sheepish at the violent scenes and had this "what can you do,I guess I might as well watch the entire movie" grin. The older brother seemed to be enjoying it thoroughly.

I am just curious if you guys noticed a trend as to who is disliking the movie and who is liking it. I noticed the percentage of female reviewers dislking this movie is higher than the male reviewers.

My reaction ? I was just enjoying every scene in the movie.

|  IP: Logged

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-16-2003 07:44 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Watched this great movie last night and not a one left the show and not a peep was heard from the audience during it other than laughter or maybe an eew or an oh during certain scenes. I would say everybody was happy. I especially liked the Physcadelic feature presentation snipe that was at the beginning of kill bill. I hope that was in the movie and not a cinemark thing [Big Grin]

Michael Swarbrick
Film Handler

- posted 10-16-2003 08:48 PM      Profile for Michael Swarbrick   Email Michael Swarbrick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've had it exclusively in the UK for a week, so we've seen huge numbers coming to see it and I've seen and heard of some weird reactions.

One guy fainted. Not at the bloodbath near the end, but because of the 0.3 second shot of Buck getting his foot cut. That guy would've had a shock if he'd stayed conscious til the end of the movie!

It's a Tarantino film! It's rated 18!! It's called KILL BILL!!! What the hell were you expecting, Piglet's Big Movie!?!?! [Roll Eyes]

Anyway, we've had a few walk-outs, some of them couples but not all. When the movie ends, I sometimes try to hear what people are saying about it. Not all of it's good. As you said, I think the general public's awareness wasn't too great, and they probably get none of the references (except the Star Trek ones).

Some people react to the movie in the wrong way, by laughing at anything they see. Knife in the chest? Ha ha! Eyes bleeding? Hilarious! OK, some of it's meant to be a little funny, but I wish they'd take it more seriously. I can't wait to see the movie again in an empty auditorium so I can make my own mind up on what's funny.

Not all the reactions have been bad though, there's been applause, and plenty of people staying til the end of the credits (although it may be because they think there's a trailer for Vol.2)

And no-one's been influenced by the movie to go on a murderous rampage yet [Smile] [uhoh]

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-19-2003 11:23 AM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Man, I am amazed at how many of us here love this movie, but the general public is really mixed about this movie. And it's not even the violence. Some of the poeple are downright ridiculing this movie. I went to see Veronica Guerin. I had some time to kill after the movie and decided to watch the last half hour of Kill Bill again(OK I know I know. At least I made sure I walked in quietly and took the first seat in the back corner.).

While I was coming out, I noticed pretty much most of the women even those not grossed out were laughing at the movie they just saw. Some guys thought it was foolish too. One guy was telling his girlfriend who wouldn't stop making fun of the movie while they were walking out to "stop tripping. I liked it". One guy was even commenting about how confused he was that the story wasnt fully finished("whats this Vol1 crap? I didnt think that meant there would be a second part we had to watch."). Seriously, those were his words. I wonder if he is the same guy who was confused with the ending of Empire Strikes Back.

While I was driving back, I was talking to one of my friends and he mentioned that one of the guys in his office who hated the movie noticed that two other guys went to the manager to demand their money back. I hope the manager didn't humor these morons. I mean, what kind of movie do these guys expect?

By the way, the critics who dont like it accuse Uma's character as having no background. Did Dirty Harry have much of a background? Is Superman that complex of a character?

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-19-2003 11:45 AM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
we've had a few people come out because it was too violent.

I like watching the audience from booth. Especially when they beep out her name, everyone starts looking around at each other.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-19-2003 06:10 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had our first vomiter from this movie today...........

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 10-19-2003 07:26 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Probably just one of the Fremont Street drunks taking advantage of your facility there Dennis... [Smile]

Chris Liczbinski
Film Handler

- posted 10-21-2003 07:57 PM      Profile for Chris Liczbinski     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have had the same observations as Pravin, the people I know love the movie but during the first few nights Kill Bill was showing I saw a number of people leaving and mumbling under their breath how stupid the film was. Lately I have not seen anyone leave, perhaps word has gotten through to those that would not like it- so they don't even bother going.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 10-21-2003 09:27 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Watched it twice from the booth while installing a new Dolby system. Gotta go downstairs & see one of Charlie's Angels kick major butt before it closes this week! [Razz]

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 10-23-2003 04:07 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
By the way, the critics who dont like it accuse Uma's character as having no background. Did Dirty Harry have much of a background? Is Superman that complex of a character?

Actually, Superman`s background is well known. We know where he comes from, how he came here, how his parents are doing, how he grew up with foster parents, what he does for a living...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: