Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Staten Island ferry accident. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Staten Island ferry accident.
Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 10-15-2003 04:49 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As reported by the BBC.

BBC report

Sounds serious, fatalities reported. Not many details available yet.

|  IP: Logged

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-15-2003 04:58 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This tragedy gives me a chill. The Staten Island Ferry was one of the legs of my commute for the first three years I was in art school.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 10-15-2003 05:09 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've joined the rush to get onto that ferry several times. With something as mundane as crossing a small strip of generally fairly calm water you don't thnk of it as having any great danger. The last crossing I made was in pretty bad weather, high winds and driving rain, but even in those conditions, the ferry had no difficulty docking at the terminal. I wonder what went wrong.

Do these boats have V-S propulsion? If so they would normally be very controlable.

My sympathies to those involved.

Edit.

It sounds worse than at first thought. The BBC report has now been updated twice, and now claims at least ten dead.

The first paragraph now reads:

At least 10 people have died and 34 injured after a ferry operating across New York City harbour crashed as it came into dock at Staten Island during high winds.

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 10-15-2003 05:20 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So far the reports have said one dead many injuries but nothing confirmed. I will admit the winds in the City tonight and this afternoon have been whipping throught the street canyons. They are reported by the weather service as between 45 to 55 with gusts to 70MPH. At least they are warm.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 10-15-2003 05:57 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Right now it has 10 people confirmed dead and 34 hurt.

http://www.wnbc.com/traffic/2556761/detail.html

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-16-2003 08:59 AM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CNN mentioned that the captain tried to commit suicide after the incident and also implied that he might have been asleep. Not good.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 10-16-2003 03:34 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeff, I read that, too. A picture of the wreck was all over the front page of the Seattle PI as well as the Seattle Times. It was a nasty accident. As I type, the death toll was placed at 10, with 60 injured. Picture by Mike Hvozda/AP

-

Photo by Stuart Ransom/AP Photo:

-

We in Washington State have the biggest state-run ferry system in the world. We have also had our share of dock collisions.

On Sept. 8, 1999, the ferry Elwha hit the Orcas Island dock, because of a software malfunction in its propulsion system, and caused $2.5 million in damage.

On June 12, 1998, the propulsion controls failed on the Sealth, causing that vessel to ram into Seattle's Colman Dock, slightly injuring seven passengers. Damage to the dock was estimated at more than $2 million.

May 23, 1995 -- Nisqually crashes into dock at Lopez Island, and several passengers complain of injuries.

Jan. 19, 1994 -- Elwha rams wingwall at Anacortes after engines fail.

June 28, 1990 -- Chelan slams Orcas Island dock after power loss.

Dec. 29, 1987 -- Kittitas rams Clinton dock as captain tries to land the vessel while keeping watch over a fight on the car deck.

Sept. 12, 1986 -- Cathlamet smashes into the south slip of the Clinton terminal.

Jan. 10, 1983 -- Issaquah hits Bremerton dock.

Nov. 16, 1982 -- Nisqually rams Kingston dock.

Aug. 3, 1982 -- Issaquah smashes into Southworth dock.

Oct. 1, 1980 -- Nisqually crashes into Mukilteo dock.

We have also had several suicide cases where someone barrels up the loading ramp onto ferry's car deck, down the car deck at a high rate of speed and off the other end into the "drink."

Working as a deck hand on the car deck can be very dangerous, indeed. Some deck hands will often wonder where the hell some of these people got their driver's license.

I embarrased one teen-ager one night while on board the MV Yakima. The teen-ager was following so closely I could not see his headlights of his car. When I stopped, he didn't have enough time to do the same. (By the way, my stop was very smooth and slow.)

Well, the teenager rear-ended my car. Nothing serious...no damage to any car whatsoever. I thought, "Oh Jeeze"..and got out of my car. The kid that hit me was already embarrased, sheepish and apologetic. I thought I would capitalize on this one.

I put my hands on my hips and yelled, "You know, this is the very first time I ever got rammed in the ass by a ferry on a ferry."

I then turned around and walked away. The kid was standing there with an helpless astonished grin on his face. [Big Grin]

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-16-2003 06:25 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This was a horrible mess. Decapitations, severed limbs. Just terrible.

Something was very very wrong, as the boat was nowhere near the correct dock. The wind could not have blown the boat that far off course.

This one will haunt me for some time.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 10-16-2003 06:31 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I put my hands on my hips and yelled, "You know, this is the very first time I ever got rammed in the ass by a ferry on a ferry."
That is sooooo fucking funny! Damn I totally forgot to laugh. Bashing anyone or group is the pits! Find something else to complain about!

>>> Phil

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 10-16-2003 11:04 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You have heard Jack and myself comment on the Washington State Ferries from time to time.

You might find this kink interesting.

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/your_wsf/our_fleet/index.cfm?fuseaction=classes

The Jumbo MkII Class has 4 each EMD 710V16 engines. The boats are 460 feet 2 inches in length. It will carry 218 vehicles.

The Jumbo Class has 4 each EMD 645V16 engines. The boats are 440 feet in length. It will carry 206 vehicles.

Super Class has 4 each EMD 567V16 engines. The boats are 382 feet 2 inches in length. It is capable of carrying 160 vehicles.

The Issaquah 130 Class has 2 each General Electric N7FDM-12 engines, Diesel Reduction gear drive. The boats are 328 feet in length. It is a 130-car ferry.

The Issaquah 100 Class are powered by the same engine model as the 130 class. It is likewise 328 feet long. It is a 100-car ferry.

The Evergreen State Class is a 310-footer, the same size ferry that rammed the dock in Staten. Ours can carry a maximum of 100 vehicles or a maximum of 30 commercial vehicles and 1000 passengers. Ours have a deck clearance of 13 feet 3 inches and has a beam of 73 feet. Ours drafts 15 feet 10 inches of water and weighs 2041 tons fully loaded and 1017 tons empty. Ours were at one time equipped with General Motors 278AV16 engines. What they have in them now, I don't know. I would presume (being an old navy man) that the ferry at Staten was very similar to our Evergreen State Class of boats. The Staten ferry was the same length, that being 310 feet.

The Steel-Electric Class are 256 feet long, can carry 75 vehicles, and are powered by Wartsilla-Vesa 8-cylinder engines. They are Diesel-Electric drive boats.

The Rhododendron Class can only carry 65 vehicles total. She was orginally powered by a direct-drive setup using Faibanks-Morris 8-cylinder Diesels. I have never been in the engine room, but I understood there were two engines. What is in there now, I don't know. But whatever it is, there are two engines. I think the boat was converted to Diesel Electric.

And then, there is the Hiyu. A little cork-popper. It is 162 feet long and can carry 40 vehicles. It has two engines, but I don't know what they are.

[ 10-17-2003, 12:37 AM: Message edited by: Paul G. Thompson ]

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-17-2003 12:40 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If there was any mercy perhaps some of the victims were asleep when they met their fate. Or to twist it in a different manner, perhaps being asleep sealed their fate.

Anyone with lots of Staten Island Ferry riding experience will tell you that you can be lulled off to sleep by the constant noise and vibration from the engines. Combine that with the cool breezes from Upper New York Bay and you can nod off.

I wound up falling asleep on the Staten Island Ferry all the time. Working my ass off into the wee hours of the morning finishing art school projects helped contribute to it. One can be especially prone to falling asleep and napping too long on the commute home. On numerous occaisions I have been startled awake by the ferry horn sounding --as it embarked back to Manhattan! Damn! That mistake will cost you an extra hour of your time, turning a 23 minute ferry ride into an hour and half long bite out of your schedule.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 10-17-2003 01:26 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bobby, there is only one Diesel Engine I know of that will lull you to sleep. That is the General Electric N-7FDM-12. Seeings that the ferry that crashed the dock was a 310 footer, it would not surprise me to find out that is equipped with GE engines. Those engines were an excellent match for a 310-foot boat. Not underpowered, and not over-powered like our MK-II boats are.

The Staten Ferry Fleet is run and operated by the NYC DOT. They have 5 boats.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 10-17-2003 01:19 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The word this morning is the ferry was running at top speed when it crashed. As noted earlier, the pilot fled the scene, went home, slashed both his wrists and shot himself in the chest with some kind of powerful pellet gun...

Matthew Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2003 06:22 PM      Profile for Matthew Bailey   Email Matthew Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Several times I've benn to Gavleston in my state. The ferries there aren't diesel electric just diesel either geared or direct drive. Each has two diesel engines,traditional straight row cylinder configuration & for power,two V type gas or diesel generators.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-17-2003 09:02 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Matthew, The Ferry I took from Houston to Dallas was Deisel Electric [Eek!] !!
Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: