Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Moving to Virginia

Author Topic: Moving to Virginia
Kevin Wale
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-14-2003 06:41 PM      Profile for Kevin Wale   Email Kevin Wale   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welp, I'm moving to the other side of the world. Well, it seems that way when you are from small town Oklahoma where the tallest buildings are always grain elevators. LOL

Thursday was my last day at the theatre here in Guymon and as soon as I can get an apartment I will be cartreking accross the USA. I guess UHaul trucking is more like it.

I didn't know if anyone would be interested or not, I just thought it might spark some conversation about theatres in Virginia and the general DC area.

It's odd. I'll be going from an 8 screen all DTS house to a twin in stereo surround and sloped floors. It's a way cool place.

From the management end I guess it would be a bit easier with less screens, but I also get to work on the live music and theatre aspect of the place. Music is my main passion in life so getting to build a sound system and book bands, and play myself will be a great addition to the enjoyment I get from working in the movie theatre business.

Anyway, I'm quite bored with no job. Packing is of course a chore but I almost forgot about this site since I'm not at a theatre every day now. I've been too focussed on moving. So, I'll shut up now. [Wink]

|  IP: Logged

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-14-2003 08:16 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Keven,

If you are going to be on the road for hours at a time, take lots of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches with you. Check out the thread about how to make PB&J. [Big Grin] And have a good trip.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-14-2003 08:50 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoyed living in Northern Virginia (during my high school years in the early to mid 1980's). There's all kinds of things to do in Northern VA, metro DC and Maryland. And the scenery outside of the built up urban areas is really beautiful. It is probably too late to catch the fall color change along Skyline Drive though.

A lot of building has happened in the last couple decades. I remember when I-95 only had two lanes in each direction past the Quantico, VA exit. Now there's three or four in both directions and a "reverseable" center section for HOV traffic (which is now being extended clear down to Stafford and then perhaps Fredericksburg). That HOV section stopped at the end of I-395 when I lived there. You'll probably visit the Franconia / Springfield area not long after you move there. Thankfully a lot of new superhighway improvements are being made to undo what was a hopeless traffic clusterf**k in that area for so long. The vast area occupied by Potomac Mills Mall was all forest land back in 1985. Some of the suburban development happening in Northern Virginia reminds me a bit of the sprawl happening in the metro Atlanta area. Kevin, I guess if you try to imagine the Dallas area with lots of trees and hilly country that might give you an approximation of what it is like in metro DC.

As to theaters in DC, I could not give the skinny on which places qualify as good. You'll have to venture into DC to visit the Uptown. As to various megaplexi, someone else will have to provide current recommendations. In the early 1980's, General Cinema's Springfield Mall theater was decent. That's the first place I specifically recall being exposed to 70mm projection (with "Return of the Jedi").

Of course, another convenient thing is you'll be able to just park your car and ride the Amtrak Metroliner to places like New York, Philadelphia and Boston to check out other great places to visit. Too bad there isn't squat for commuter rail in Oklahoma.

Kevin Wale
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-21-2003 02:58 PM      Profile for Kevin Wale   Email Kevin Wale   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry it took so long to reply... been boxing stuff up.

Virginia is pretty I must say. My boss flew me out there to help me in making my descision. Rent of course is wild. So is housing. An expensive house here is 200 grand.(there are the big 400 plus but 200 grand is what is in most of the nice neighborhoods.) There, 200 grand is one of the cheaper houses. My rent will be 770 for two bedrooms(couoldn't get into a one bedroom soon enough). Most apartments here are 3-600 a month.

My car is almost paid off so my budget will get much better in six months. I'll get raises too and bonuses. There is just a lot of long term potential there that isn't here especially for the musician in me.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: