Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » How do you make PB&J? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: How do you make PB&J?
Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-14-2003 02:56 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know this is dumb, but I have always been fascinated with people that put the peanut butter and the jelly on the same piece of bread, why on earth would anyone do this?? You're just making a mess out of the everything. I like to look at the sandwhich and and see bread, jelly, peanut butter and bread. Nice and Neat.

|  IP: Logged

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 10-14-2003 03:31 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. Never gave that one that much thought. I do it in the way that you first describe, but that's because I consider the messy looking result to be more aesthetically pleasing to both the eye and the palate. Segregating the PB from the J during preparation results in a too clean, artificial, machine-made looking presentation IMO. I guess I prefer my PB&J to be more chaotic, which seems more natural to me. The Tao of PB&J...

Either that or its just my way of rebelling against the rigors of preparing Japanese food, where the presentation is just as important as the taste.

Oops. I hear my colleagues in their white lab smocks coming for me. Off to go tutor another unfortunate CCSN student... [Big Grin]

[ 10-14-2003, 04:58 PM: Message edited by: Paul Mayer ]

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-14-2003 04:28 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My algorithm is as follows. It makes two delightful peanut butter and jelly sandwiches:

1. Get out the peanut butter.

2. Get out the jelly.

3. Loosen the top on the peanut butter.

4. Loosen the top on the jelly. This often requires sticking the top under warm running water, some prying, or a combination of the two.

5. Dry the jelly jar if warm water was required.

6. Get out two spreading knives.

7. Get a paper plate.

8. Open the bread and get out the middlemost 4 slices of bread in the loaf and put them on the paper plate, stacked on top of each other exposing only the top piece of bread.

9. Take one of the spreading knives and spread the appropriate amount of peanut butter on the top piece of bread.

10. Lay the top slice with the peanut butter on it to the side of the stack, peanut butter side up.

11. Use the spreading knife that you used for the peanut butter on the first slice to spread peanut butter on the second slice of bread (now on the top of the original stack).

12. Lay this second piece of bread (peanut butter side up) beside the stack and the other piece of bread with peanut butter on it.

13. Put the top on the peanut butter and set it aside.

14. Take the second spreading knife (the clean one) and use it to spread jelly on the third slice of bread.

15. Take that slice you just put jelly on and set it down next to all the other bread you've been working with, jelly side up.

16. Take one of the pieces of peanut buttered bread and place it peanut butter side down on top of the jellied bread, observing correct orientation if the slices of bread aren't perfectly square.

17. Take the same spreading knife you used for the jelly and use it to put jelly on the only clean single piece of bread (that isn't part of a sandwich).

18. Put that last jellied piece of bread down, jelly side up, next to all the other bread.

19. Take the only remaining single piece of bread that is peanut butter side up and put it peanut butter side down on top of the single jelly-up piece of bread, observing correct oriientation in case the slices aren't perfectly square.

20. Put the top on the jelly and put it back in the refrigerator.

21. Put the two spreading knives in the sink.

22. Eat the two sandwiches.

23. Wash off the sprading knives so the peanut butter and jelly aren't hard to wash off later.

24. Leave the paper plate and knives in the sink for your mother to take care of next time she's at your house.

Comments:

Step 6: Two spreading knives are used so that you don't contaminate the jelly in the jelly jar with peanut butter, or the peanut butter in the peanut butter jar with the jelly.

Step 8: The middlemost 4 slices are usually the freshest. Stacking them while fixing the sandiches minimizes the surface of bread that is exposed directly to air, keeping the slices the freshest longest.

Step 9: Peanut butter is spread first because bread will not get dry as quickly with peanut butter on it. You don't want jelly sitting on bread too long before eating it since it might make the bread soggy.

Steps 15 and 16: Why not just combine these steps into "Put the jellied bread, face down on top of one of the peanut buttered pieces of bread"? Turning a jellied piece of bread is more likely to cause a drip of jelly and make a mess than turning a peanut buttered piece of bread upside down.

Steps 18 and 19: See comment for steps 15 and 16.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-14-2003 04:32 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Spoken like a true mathematician! [thumbsup]

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-14-2003 04:45 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Get a jar that already has the PB & J mixed together. Use your finger to spread the PB & J onto one side of a piece of bread. Lick your finger clean (no need to wash a knife, you could cut yourself). Fold the bread in half. Now the most improtant part: pop open a beer, and enjoy. [Big Grin] [beer] [Big Grin]

Be sure your finger is good and clean, getting PB out of sproket holes is a pain! [uhoh]

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-14-2003 04:55 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, I'm flattered that you actually read it. It's written in a style that is optimized for you to read. (One sentence per paragraph, since you often read the first sentence of each paragraph anyway). [beer]

It's definitely one of the stranger threads I've responded to on film-tech over the years.

However, it was a nice diversion from working on a presentation that I'm working on for tomorrow morning. Taking that side trip helped me organize my thoughts more.

Bruce, about using fingers -- that's kinda disturbing for making sandwiches, but for fingerpainting walls with a mixture of peanut butter and jelly, it would be totally groovy.

And Bruce, don't be giving anyone ideas about sabotaging projectors with peanut butter and jelly. [evil] [Big Grin]

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-14-2003 05:28 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hay, could PB be used to stop oil leaks in a Simplex? The bread could be used to clean up the oil that had leaked in the past. We could be on to something here! Could jelly be used to lube stuck 6K floating hub reels (from another thread)? and if you get hungry on the job... [Razz] [Roll Eyes] [puke]

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 10-14-2003 05:46 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Evans only loosens the jar lids, but he never removes them! What kind of voodoo samich makin' is this?

I should grab my camera and make myself a snack ...

In the meantime ...
How To Make A Peanut Butter And Jelly Sandwich
Junction of OT Function - Recipe for Peanut Butter and Jelly
What is the history of the peanut butter and jelly sandwich?

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-14-2003 06:09 PM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
evans, do you buy/bake a new loaf of bread every time you want a sandwich or do you settle for not-so-fresh the next time around?

also, your method doesn't ensure that the sandwiches are made from adjacent slices from the loaf, which is essential for mess-abatement.

first i take the pb and the j out of the fridge, then i take the bread out of the freezer. i break off a block of 4 slices (the heel is fine; what use is a singleton heel?) and put it on a plate or saran wrap. i remove the top slice and examine the 2 newly exposed bread surfaces. the surface with the fewest holes is earmarked for jelly (less leakage). if one slice is the heel that will be the jelly slice. with a good stiff knife i pb up the other slice before it thaws, so the bread isn't too soft to take the hard chilled pb. i repeat the process for the bottom 2 slices. then with a spoon i jelly up the other 2 slices and pair them with their respective mates.

if i toast the bread, as i did today, then the heated bread will soften the pb enough to spread.

using the same utensil/finger to spread the pb and the j is not pbj done right!

carl

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-14-2003 07:32 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would prefer to start with a fresh loaf of bread for every pair of sandwiches, because I hate stale bread. I can't cope with that "not so fresh" feeling.

Adam, as for my instructions not including the removal of the lids of the jelly and peanut butter jars, I didn't want the instructions to be so ridiculously low-level that the intelligence of the reader would be insulted. [evil]

So, from the posts, it sounds like Chris Hipp, me, and Carl Martin would be the neatest peanut butter and jelly sandwich makers.

Kevin Wale
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-14-2003 07:40 PM      Profile for Kevin Wale   Email Kevin Wale   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use the new squeeze bottle jellys(grape always of course.) It renders the second knife unneeded and hence less dishwashing. LOL

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-14-2003 07:43 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
One sentence per paragraph, since you often read the first sentence of each paragraph anyway.
If I am in a hurry or don't particularly give a flip about what I am reading, you bet! The first sentence of a paragraph should let you know what the content of that paragraph is anyway.

People who make insanely long paragraphs tend to not get their point across as well because many people flat out skip it ("too much to read") or people get lost in the middle of the paragraph as the topic changes (a big no no). Keeping paragraphs shorter also assists with people being able to read the material faster, of which I have been told I am a fast reader. [Shrug]

In short, if someone wants their stuff to be read, split it up into multiple paragraphs and more people will read it.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-14-2003 08:01 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's the way I make PB&J. Read and learn:
  • Remove Jelly, Peanut Butter, and Bread from the places in which they were stored.
  • Take paper towel and fold in half. Place two slices of bread on paper towel.
  • Open peanut butter, insert knife and then spread peanut butter onto bread fairly evenly.
  • Wipe of remaining peanut butter from knife on other piece of bread.
  • Using the SAME EXACT KNIFE (*gasp*) get a crapload of jelly (or preserves because they have more "substance") and spread throughout the other piece of bread. The jelly gets the priority over the peanut butter, so I usually put a bunch on.
  • Put pieces of bread together.
  • Return bread, peanut butter and jelly to original storage locations.
  • Insert the sandwich into my mouth, while simultaneously chewing and enjoying.
  • Wait.
  • Eject sandwich from the other end. Stand up, look back down and marvel at the transformation that took place. Wipe the remaining bits of PB&J to ensure cleanliness. Flush.
  • Repeat.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 10-14-2003 09:29 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
***THE*** best way to enjoy PB&J is as easy as 1-2-3:

1) Spead SMOOTH-style peanut butter and favorite flavor jelly on "partner".

2) Top off with whipped cream.

3) Lick and enjoy.

>>> Phil

Ron Keillor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-14-2003 09:30 PM      Profile for Ron Keillor   Email Ron Keillor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A friend who worked for a local newpaper tells me that part of their history is the story of the children's column editor going on vacation, during which the fillowing Q & A appeared:
Q "What's better than a peanut butter and jelly sandwich?"
A "A roll with honey in bed."

[ 10-15-2003, 03:01 AM: Message edited by: Ron Keillor ]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: