Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Vonage (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Vonage
Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-13-2003 05:34 PM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just wondering if anyone has used Vonage web page or anything like it.

Vonage is a Voice over IP (VoIP) service that works over a broadband connection.
For ~$24/month you get extended local coverage and 500 minutes of free long distance a month, free voicemail and other features too. They send you a pre-configured Cisco ATA (Analog Telephone Adapter) so that you can use your regular phones with their service.

This seems like a really good idea, supposedly the audio quality is not distinguishable and uses minimal bandwith. I will say that VoIP in my corporate network sounds just fine and the bandwith usage isn't bad at all, but I'm not sure about going across the internet.

If you have any expriences with Vonage or somethign similar, I'd like to hear.

|  IP: Logged

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 10-13-2003 06:13 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We chatted somewhat about Vonage in a thread about payphones.

I have two Vonage accounts, and my daughter has one. With a good cable modem, it works great. It would even work well with a DSL... I guess if you needed additional lines or the like. It isn't very good at ISDN speeds & below... mainly because it needs 90kb per line.

Reliability and voice quality have been very good. Their customer service is a bit long, but my reasons for calling have had nothing to do with technical issues.

So far, so good!

Mike Williams
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-13-2003 06:15 PM      Profile for Mike Williams   Email Mike Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A friend of mine is using this down in Florida. He said it is pretty good with his cable modem. For me, I could not tell the difference on my regular phone talking to him on it.
I am waiting for them to start with the 865 area code before I start using it. I think it is a good deal also.

Floyd Justin Newton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-13-2003 06:16 PM      Profile for Floyd Justin Newton   Email Floyd Justin Newton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jason--
Yes. I have had Vonage for abot six months now and I am very
happy with it. Audibility is very clear and clean. You can only
use it on high-speed cable. The only gitch I've come upon with
it is this: the ATA 186 MUST be at least 2-feet away from the router too avoid echo. It sure beats the local phone company
both in service AND monthly cost.
FJN

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 10-13-2003 10:53 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use it all the time with my cable modem. If the internet service is having issues you will get occasional dropouts lasting anywhere from less than a second to a few seconds. Sometimes when that happens I just end the call and try later. Most calls are just fine, though.

My home network doesn't use a router. I use a hub and the Vonage adapter sits right on top of it with no echo problems observed.

Something I just learned -- Vonage doesn't work with TiVo yet [Frown] but they are working on it [Smile]

Oh well I guess I'll have to hold off on my TiVo purchase.

Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-13-2003 11:45 PM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've done some looking around, but have yet to see anyone that really had anything bad to say about the service. I'm not worried about Tivo since I don't use it anyways, I suppose the problem comes in how the Tivo box dials or something. The only other issue I've heard of is names not showing up on Caller ID, just the number. Again this isn't a big deal for me.

Looks like I too may be telling Ma bell to shove it.

Sean M. Grimes
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-14-2003 12:57 AM      Profile for Sean M. Grimes   Author's Homepage   Email Sean M. Grimes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Everything looks great about vonage, but I have one question, do you have to 11 digit dial all numbers? Or when you are calling locally (within area code) can you dial 7?

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 10-14-2003 01:51 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even if you are calling to another number within your "area code" you must dial 11 digits:

1 + area code + 7-digit number

It's true about no names with Caller ID -- Just the number comes through. Not a big deal for me, either.

Vonage sends you advisories by email when you get voicemail. You can check voicemail from any telephone (including your Vonage phone) or via your account on the Vonage website.

I'm very happy with Vonage.

Does anybody know what the 2nd phone jack on the ATA could be used for? I accidentally plugged into that one and wondered why I got nothing. I remember reading somewhere (the manual maybe?) that Vonage doesn't use the 2nd jack at this time. Just curious.

Mike Williams
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-14-2003 05:08 AM      Profile for Mike Williams   Email Mike Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It says on their website it can be used for a seperate fax/modem line for an additional charge.

Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2003 06:06 PM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I've had Vonage for a little over a month. I have to say that I have no complaints about their service as of yet. Calls are crystal clear, my wife says it acutally sounds better than the "land" line. I haven't noticed any difference in bandwidth usage. I did have to set up port forwarding on my Linksys router, but that was a very simple task.

My ATA sits right beside my router with no echo problems at all. Unlimited Long Distance, Virtual numbers and CHEAP international rates are fantastic.

I highly recommend this service [thumbsup]

Ron Yost
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2003 07:37 PM      Profile for Ron Yost   Email Ron Yost   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can you dial emergency numbers? 911, etc.? I'm guessing probably not.

Ron Yost

Floyd Justin Newton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2003 08:21 PM      Profile for Floyd Justin Newton   Email Floyd Justin Newton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ron--

Re: Vonage 911 yes, after initial setup;

FJN

Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-20-2003 09:21 AM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't had occasion to try the 911 service yet <knock on wood> But you do have to configure it, by entering your address etc. Interrestingly 911 calls aren't handled as they normally are by the local 911 call center, but some other type of emergency routing service. Supposedly not an impact on service though.

Ron Yost
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-20-2003 10:48 AM      Profile for Ron Yost   Email Ron Yost   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It does impact emergency response time and that's what I was worried about. The delay caused by the 'forwarding' is dangerous and potentially life threatening. It's the one reason I wouldn't go totally landline-less yet, much as I'd like to.

Ron Yost

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 11-20-2003 02:51 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Their service is not connected to the network that auto-reports E-911 information to the call centers.
Several reasons for that:
* The E-911 network is not national, mainly because it does not need to be. It's split up into many regional areas and there's no single method to hook them all up.

* Probably a larger issue, but maybe not why the idea of 911 reporting for IP-based phones doesn't work: You can pull the ATA from your router in Seattle, go to Bogalusa and plug it back in. It will work as if you never left. Unfortunately, nobody on the end of a 911 connection would know you moved the phone.

The Vonage system takes your 911 call and routes is to a regular land-line at the call center you specify. You will have to inform the call taker of your address, number, etc... which they usually ask for anyway. This WOULD be a problem if you couldn't communicate and were counting on 911 to dispatch based on their screen information.

We've kept a couple of hardwired lines here because of that... but we've made use of Vonage for everything above that... especially for lines that wouldn't likely be used for 911.

[ 11-20-2003, 06:20 PM: Message edited by: Jack Ondracek ]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: