Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Newmarket Films In The Lead For "The Passion"

Author Topic: Newmarket Films In The Lead For "The Passion"
Jeff Stuckey
Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2003 02:08 PM      Profile for Jeff Stuckey   Email Jeff Stuckey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello everyone. I apologize if someone has already posted this article someplace. I did a search and couldn't find it. It seems Newmarket Films is in the lead to get THE PASSION. Here is the story from MSNBC/Newsweek:

http://www.msnbc.com/news/976126.asp

Who’ll Buy Mel’s Movie?

Probably not a major studio, but an indie just might bite

By Sean Smith
NEWSWEEK

Oct. 13 issue — Mel Gibson’s “The Passion” isn’t an easy sell. In fact, it seems no major studio wants to touch it. “It’s not worth the aggravation,” says a studio head. “Even if it makes money, it’s not going to be ‘Titanic’.” And with it could come titanic problems: protests, hate mail, boycotts. “Even if it doesn’t deserve it,” says another film exec, “it’s going to be used as a political football.” After months of speculation about “The Passion,” the question remains, Who will buy it?

GIBSON’S FILM—a traditional Roman Catholic portrayal of Jesus’ death—has inspired more hostile attention than any movie in recent history, with accusations that it could foster anti-Semitism, even when few have seen it. Although supporters of the film are just as vocal, the film could prove a PR ulcer for any large, publicly held company. What’s more, movies about Christ haven’t scored at the box office for decades—and “The Passion” is in Latin, Hebrew and Aramaic with subtitles.

In 1988, Universal released Martin Scorsese’s “The Last Temptation of Christ,” which proposed that Christ was plagued with the same doubts and appetites as normal men. The movie was met with outrage. “There were millions of letters written and 25,000 people marched on Universal,” says Tom Pollock, then a top exec at the studio. “There were death threats against my chairman, myself and Marty Scorsese. There was security in our lives for years.” And the movie made only $8.4 million.

Today studio executives invariably cite “Last Temptation” when discussing “The Passion.” But, as Pollock points out, Gibson’s movie should appeal to Christians, not alienate them. As one producer puts it: “If all the Jews in America don’t go see ‘The Passion’ and all the Christians do, that’s not so terrible. Commercially speaking.” Will the audience be big enough to cover the $25 million Gibson apparently spent? Possibly. Jonathan Bock, head of Grace Hill Media, a PR firm that specializes in marketing movies to faith-based communities, has seen the film and believes it will appeal to all Christians, not just Catholics: “It’s beautiful and tragic. For Christians, it’s like watching a family member being beaten up for two hours. People will be deeply moved.”

Gibson’s company, Icon Productions, did not seek out buyers for the film, but waited to see which suitors came knocking. The studios didn’t, apparently. (Fox, which has a first-look deal with Icon, is the only studio that officially passed.) Icon, however, did get interest from small, independent companies without public shareholders or other assets, like music companies and theme parks, that could be hurt by boycotts or protests. Companies “that have nothing to lose,” as one executive puts it. The top contender now appears to be Newmarket, which released “Memento.” They have made a formal bid, but will not confirm if they have seen the film. Two higher-profile independents, Lions Gate and Miramax, have expressed interest in the film and have asked to see it. They have yet to be invited. The film could prove problematic for Miramax, as its parent company, Disney, dislikes controversy.

Gibson’s camp would not comment about the potential sale, beyond saying it could happen in the “near term.” It’s possible, though remotely, that Icon, which distributes most of Gibson’s films in the U.K. and Australia, may opt to put “The Passion” in U.S. theaters itself. Meanwhile, the press surrounding the film—in particular a New Yorker profile that delineated Gibson’s rigid religious beliefs—has done some damage to his reputation. While he remains one of the most bankable stars in history, his occasionally strident public statements have not played well in an industry predominantly liberal and significantly Jewish. “People think Mel’s crazy now,” says one top producer. Adds a studio head, “People feel like his character in ‘Lethal Weapon’ isn’t that far from who he is. It’s like, ‘Wow, he’s way out on a limb’.” We should know very shortly who’s going to get out there with him.

|  IP: Logged

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-26-2003 05:10 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's now official: Newmarket will release The Passion of Christ (actual title) in the US on 2/25. That day is Ash Wednesday, which begins Lent in Catholic and most Protestant churches.

For the record, the Catholics and mainline Protestants did not go after Universal over The Last Temptation of Christ. Christian fundamentalists and pro-censorship groups went after Universal -- a fact that Newsweek omitted on purpose.

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-26-2003 05:29 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Film first announced here "Mel Gibson's Film on Death of Jesus Creates Controversy Before Premier"

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 10-28-2003 01:07 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This was sent to me by an old college friend. Thought I would share this with my forum friends. Bob

Keith A Fournier is a constitutional lawyer and a graduate of the John Paul II Institute of the Lateran University, Franciscan University, and the University of Pittsburgh. He holds degrees in Philosophy, theology and law. He has been a champion of religious liberty and appeared as co-counsel in major cases at the United States Supreme Court. He is the author of seven books and, along with his law practice, serves as the president of both the "Your Catholic Voice Foundation" and "Common Good".

I really did not know what to expect. I was thrilled to have been invited to a private viewing of Mel Gibson's film "The Passion," but I had also read all the cautious articles and spin.

I grew up in a Jewish town and owe much of my own faith journey to the influence. I have a life long, deeply held aversion to anything that might even indirectly encourage any form of anti-Semitic thought, language or actions. I arrived at the private viewing for "The Passion", held inWashington D.C., and greeted some familiar faces. The environment was typically Washingtonian, with people greeting you with a smile but
seeming to look beyond you, having an agenda beyond the words.

The film was very briefly introduced, without fanfare, and then the room darkened. From the gripping opening scene in the Garden of Gethsemane, to the very human and tender portrayal of the earthly ministry of Jesus,through the betrayal, the arrest, the scourging, the way of the cross, the encounter with the thieves, the surrender on the Cross, until the final scene in the empty tomb, this was not simply a movie; it was an encounter, unlike anything I have ever experienced.

In addition to being a masterpiece of film-making and an artistic triumph, "The Passion" evoked more deep reflection, sorrow and emotional reaction within me than anything since my wedding, my ordination, or the birth of my children. Frankly, I will never be the same.

When the film concluded, this "invitation only" gathering of "movers and shakers" in Washington, D.C. were shaking indeed, but this time from sobbing. I am not sure there was a dry eye in the place. The crowd that had been glad-handing before the film was now eerily silent. No one could speak because words were woefully inadequate. We had experienced a kind of art that is a rarity in life, the kind that makes heaven touch earth.

One scene in the film has now been forever etched in my mind. A brutalized, wounded Jesus was soon to fall again under the weight of the cross. His mother had made her way along the Via Della Rosa. As she ran to him, she flashed back to a memory of Jesus as a child, falling in the dirt road outside of their home. Just as she had reached to protect him from the fall, she was now reaching to touch his wounded adult face. Jesus looked at her with intensely probing and passionately loving eyes (and at all of us through the screen) and said "Behold I make all things new." These are words taken from the last Book of the New Testament, the Book of Revelations.

Suddenly, the purpose of the pain was so clear and the wounds, that earlier in the film had been so difficult to see in His face, His back,indeed all over His body, became intensely beautiful. They had been borne voluntarily, for love.

At the end of the film, after we had all had a chance to recover, a question and answer period ensued. The unanimous praise for the film, from a rather diverse crowd, was as astounding as the compliments were effusive.

The questions included the one question that seems to follow this film, even though it has not yet even been released. "Why is this film considered by some to be "anti-Semitic?" Frankly, having now experienced (you do not "view" this film) "the Passion" it is a question that is impossible to answer. A law professor whom I admire sat in front of me. He raised his hand and responded "After watching this film, I do not understand how anyone can insinuate that it even remotely presents that the Jews killed Jesus. It doesn't." He continued "It made me realize that my sins killed Jesus" Iagree.

There is not a scintilla of anti-Semitism to be found anywhere in this powerful film. If there were, I would be among the first to decry it. It faithfully tells the Gospel story in a dramatically beautiful, sensitive andprofoundly engaging way. Those who are alleging otherwise have either not seen the film or have another agenda behind their protestations.

This is not a "Christian" film, in the sense that it will appeal only to those who identify themselves as followers of Jesus Christ. It is a deeply human, beautiful story that will deeply touch all men and women. It is a profound work of art. Yes, its producer is a Catholic Christian and,thankfully, has remained faithful to the Gospel text; if that is no longer acceptable behavior than we are all in trouble. History demands that we
remain faithful to the story and Christians have a right to tell it. After all, we believe that it is the greatest story ever told and that its message is for all men and women. The greatest right is the right to hear the truth.

We would all be well advised to remember that the Gospel narratives to which "The Passion" is so faithful were written by Jewish men who followed a Jewish Rabbi whose life and teaching have forever changed the history of the world. The problem is not the message but those who have distorted it and used it for hate rather than love. The solution is not to censor themessage, but rather to promote the kind of gift of love that is Mel Gibson's filmmaking masterpiece, "The Passion". It should be seen by as many people as possible. I intend to do everything I can to make sure that is the case. I am passionate about "the Passion." You will be as well. Don't miss it.

And, I would like to add these thoughts.This film is going to receive more scrutiny and be the focus of more public debate than any film EVER. The argument that this film is anti-Semitic will be played 1000's of time a day in every household across America...across the world. To me...a most crucial "discovery" of this man's "experience" is the reality that "my sins killed Jesus." The full weight of this truth is enormous! What an opportunity for millions and millions of people to "discover" this through the film. So....I encourage you to think carefully about how you're going to respond to the "debate" because there will be one. It's a great opportunity to witness
about what it means to be a Christian....and nowhere is it appropriate or biblical to point a finger at the Jewish race. To do so is to stand squarely in His face and say...."You died for nothing!"

Please pass this along to your Christian friends and family.... to those that will truly understand the message.... so that they can be prepared to respond in such a way that bears a positive witness to Jesus' death and resurrection.

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2003 04:45 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cover story of this week's Village Voice in NYC:

Mel Gibson's Jesus Christ Pose

The Passion of Christ Marks the Latest Chapter in the Making of a Hollywood Martyr

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: