Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » What AM tower is this (Paul G. Thompson or anyone?) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Author Topic: What AM tower is this (Paul G. Thompson or anyone?)
Matthew Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2003 06:19 PM      Profile for Matthew Bailey   Email Matthew Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just took som photos of a brand new AM tower in my city not far from where I live. It recently replaced the original tower which they had until this year, both guy supported. It is used by a local AM station KOLE 1340 for their remote auxilary transmitter. The station is actually locater in the neighboring city of Beaumont(?). It uses a Harris Allied or Harris Gates transmitter,dont know how many kilowatts-up to ten or more. At the base of the tower,there are four grounding straps leading to a horizontal buried grid,copper I believe,plus there are six vertical wires adjacent to the tower running up most of the full height of it.  -
Will load more pics of the tower at a later time.

|  IP: Logged

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 10-01-2003 07:26 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You stood right UNDER that antenna when it was transmitting?! You're supposed to wait until the power is turned off, Ya' Know! You're probably sterile now!

[Wink] [Big Grin]

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 10-01-2003 08:42 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For a brand new tower, there's sure a lot of vegetation around it!

That copper strap jumpering the base insulator is grounding the tower itself. Those vertical lines you noticed are actually the radiating elements of the antenna. It's a folded unipole design.

It's interesting that there isn't any tuning equipment in the picture (is there a "doghouse" nearby?). Otherwise, this doesn't look unusual at all. There are a LOT of these installations across the country.

At 10kW or so, AM frequencies probably won't sterilize you anytime soon. I used to have to do daily tower current readings where the meter was mounted ON the tower. I had to climb a wooden (read: insulated) ladder to the "hot" part of the tower, where the shunt switch was. This thing ran 10kW, and I have 4 daughters to prove it didn't do anything to me! [Big Grin]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-01-2003 09:14 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That'll make you sterile? COOOOOOL!!!!!! I don't want any kids and I don't want anyone nipping and cutting down there. Sounds like the perfect plan... plus it's free!

Matthew Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2003 09:15 PM      Profile for Matthew Bailey   Email Matthew Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's not a doghouse nearby, just the building that the lines to the tower come out of. The bulding was used as a remote station,I don't know if it's still in there ,but the bathroom had the spark gap in it! The back of the transmitter protrudes through one wall of the bathroom & yes, all covers are on it.
 -

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-01-2003 09:37 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The high power stuff can indeed sterilize you. When I was at WCFC TV in Chicago which had a true 100kw input to the bays the tower engineer always called us to lower our power to 1/3 normal (1.2 Million watts ERP with both visual and the single aural Klystrons functioning)so he could safely pass our radiators. He said at 1/3 power he could still feel his testicles get warm so he always went by quickly. This transmitter used 8" hard transmission line pressurized with nitrogen.

I would say that you photos represent a pretty small transmitter site judging by the insulator at the base and the size of the heliax running into it. Its also a light weight tower as again the insulator is quite small in diameter and the load of the tower sits on it. Probably not more than 2500 watts. If it were larger than that there would be at least 3 inch transmission line instead of the Heliax. Generally, the larger the transmitter power the larger the insulator, and transmission line. Not necessarily a larger tower though.

All new commercial AM, and FM transmitters are solid state all the way through and including the final amplifier stage. Most are modular so if a module or two fail all that happens is that the output power lowers a bit. You still stay on the air though. The best part of the solid state xmitters is the low power consumption. Some are so efficient as to not soak up any more power than the old AM modulator section of the transmitter it replaced. A good example was the MONTHLY power bill for the TTU-110 transmitter at WCFC. It usually topped 20,000 dollars.
Mark

P.S. Here is a large transmitter and tower. The tower at this station weighs 900,000 lbs!! The base inslator supports the entire weight of the tower.....
http://hawkins.pair.com/wlw.shtml

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 10-01-2003 10:56 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, BAH! Sure, his testicles got warm. So do the wrenches, coins, and other metal objects they have in their pockets do when they climb "hot towers."

Most of the radio station engineers I know that have died was due to leukemia or some other form of cancer. There was a sailor that thought high-power energy blasted at the balls would sterilize him. He did that on a many occassions. Unfortunately, he was still capable of "doing it" and his faithful wife and him still had children.

It takes more RF energy to sterilize a person than it does to kill them.

I have been around many towers for years, working inside the fence areas. I still don't have any problems with that. [Wink]

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 10-01-2003 10:57 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
This thing ran 10kW, and I have 4 daughters to prove it didn't do anything to me!
No sons though, eh? [Smile]

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 10-01-2003 11:02 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mathew, I don't have enough to go on by looking at the picture.

What is the tower registration number? I'll look it up. However, if the tower is not exceeding "X" number of feet and they are not in a flight path or hazard to a local "White Knuckle Airlines" airport, they may not need a registration number.

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-02-2003 01:00 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
For a brand new tower, there's sure a lot of vegetation around it!
Don't things grow at ALL in Washington? That picture looks like the guys mowed it just last week, for the US coast on the Gulf of Mexico.

Jeff Stricker
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-02-2003 07:32 AM      Profile for Jeff Stricker   Email Jeff Stricker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can't tell for sure from the pictures, but think its a "folded unipole". This type of tower has skirt wires around it. The wires are connected to the tower at the top and are insulated at the bottom. The tower is actually grounded at the base and the RF is fed (through appropriate matching network) near the base across the skirt wires and ground. The ground system more than likely contains 120 radials of buried copper wire extending 1/4 wavelength out from the base.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-02-2003 08:33 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yea, but I doubt that you guys would still "function" very long after having passed a 100kw bay running at full power [Eek!]
Mark

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 10-02-2003 08:36 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
No sons though, eh?
Yah... I thought one of you clowns would catch that! [Big Grin]

quote:
Yea, but I doubt that you guys would still "function" very long after having passed a 100kw bay running at full power
Mark, you may have a point. I used to get headaches working around the 100kW FM plants that had their studios at the transmitter, But I also spent a lot of years with AM, and that never bothered me. In that time, most engineers I knew weren't that concerned about the lower frequencies, either.

Now... you'd probably be nuts to go anywhere near that WLW transmitter when it was at power... but that was probably more a practical matter...

Matthew Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-02-2003 03:04 PM      Profile for Matthew Bailey   Email Matthew Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll obtain the tower registration number later today. It's on the fence & resembles a license plate.I have photos of the top of the tower & the bottom where the six wires are attached.
 -
 -

Matthew Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-02-2003 06:24 PM      Profile for Matthew Bailey   Email Matthew Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK,here's the tower registration number. It's 1232099.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: