Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Digital Projection system

Author Topic: Digital Projection system
Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-28-2003 04:36 AM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all

Some time ago I posted that I was going to try and set up my own digital projection system (rather cheaply) using an lcd panel and an overhead projector.

I bought a second hand ohp locally and ended up buying an infocus panelbook 550e which I imported from the US. Total cost believe it or not (all up) was only about $US200!!!

The syetem now projects an image up to 1.5m x 1.5m on my wall. It is rather decadent lying in bed and watching a dvd fed movie on the system. The system gives vga color (640 x480) and has 1.4
million colors. I also sometimes hook the system up to my satellite tv system (I watch French tv) and watch french tv programs on it.

Downsides? Well, color reproduction is a bit faded and the system only works in a darkened room. Also the fans on the ohp and panelbook are a little noisy although less so than a 16mm projector.

It is quite a cheap way to get a home projection system and is worth a try for those who want to try it out.

Here is a picture I took with my Kodak digital camera of the image it puts out. Please note that this photo does not do the picture justice as the camera does not work well in low light conditions.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~p.berrett/projector.jpg

I have the dvd stereo output running through my wife's stereo system which gives pretty good (and loud) sound.

cheers Peter

See if you can guees which film I'm currently watching in the link above!

|  IP: Logged

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 09-28-2003 05:23 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cool - I have an old lcd panel, but its missing its power adapter, (a special make)

The color on the overhead pannels has never been good at all, but nonetheless, its by far the least expensive route to go big.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 09-28-2003 10:56 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Peter wrote:

quote:
The system gives vga color (640 x480) and has 1.4
million colors.

[Roll Eyes] I always chuckle at the specifications for digital projectors, based on the theoretical color space allowed by the bit depth used for the encoding. As you note, theory and practice are not the same, as evidenced by you saying:

quote:
Well, color reproduction is a bit faded...
I guess people are impressed with big numbers, except when they are the cost of buying a good system. [Wink]

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 09-28-2003 03:31 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Please use the upload feature, instead of linking to another site, if you'd like to include images in your post. Thanks.

Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-28-2003 10:13 PM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John

The problem is partially about the color. But the principal problem with the fading is more question of saturation. The colors may be right but they don't come out as bold or as strong.

Still for $200 I'm not complaining. And the bulbs for my ohp don't cost $100s of dollars either!

cheers Peter

PS Im sorry I didn't upload my image however I have tried to reformat the image without success. Could someone send me a corrrectly formatted image? Thanks

[ 09-29-2003, 09:51 PM: Message edited by: Peter Berrett ]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: