Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Robert Palmer Dead at 54

Author Topic: Robert Palmer Dead at 54
Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 09-26-2003 10:08 AM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rock Singer Robert Palmer Dies at Age 54

By ROBERT BARR, AP

LONDON (AP) - Rock singer Robert Palmer, known for his sharp suits and hits including "Addicted to Love," died Friday in Paris of a heart attack, his manager said. He was 54.
Palmer was on a two-day break in Paris following a television recording session in Britain, his manager Mick Carter said from the French capital.

In the 1980s, Palmer became a superstar with singles which also included "Simply Irresistible" - accompanied by slick videos featuring the smartly dressed Palmer with a back-up band of attractive women, all in black outfits and glossy makeup.

A side project, Power Station, formed in 1985 with John Taylor and Andy Taylor of '80s supergroup Duran Duran, scored three U.S. Top 10 hits, including "Communication" and "Get it On."

The son of a British naval officer, Palmer was a member of several British rock bands before he hit the big time as a solo artist.

He had lived in Switzerland for the past 16 years.

Known for his GQ sense of style, Palmer was named best dressed male artist by Rolling Stone in 1990.

The "Addicted to Love" video, with its miniskirted models strumming guitars as Palmer sang, became one of MTV's most-played clips, and sparked protests from some feminists.

"I'm not going to attach inappropriate significance to it because at the time it meant nothing. It's just happened to become an iconic look," Palmer once said of the video.

He had his first hit album and single, "Sneakin' Sally through the Alley," in 1974.

In his 20s, Palmer worked with a number of small-time bands including Dada, Vinegar Joe, and the Alan Bown Band, occasionally appearing in opening acts for big draw including The Who and Jimi Hendrix.

Palmer once confessed that he was not attracted to the excesses of rock 'n' roll stardom.

"I loved the music, but the excesses of rock 'n' roll never really appealed to me at all," he said. "I couldn't see the point of getting up in front of a lot of people when you weren't in control of your wits."

He was noted for dressing up and being somewhat restrained.

"I don't want to be heavy," he said in an interview with Rolling Stone magazine.

"I can't think of another attitude to have toward an audience than a hopeful and a positive one. And if that includes such unfashionable things as sentimentality, well, I can afford it."

09/26/03 08:10 EDT

|  IP: Logged

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-26-2003 10:16 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a real shock.Robert Palmer was a local guy who I first saw with Vinegar Joe in 1972.

He had just completed filming here in Yorkshire two days ago, the same crew were here shooting in the Museum not an hour ago.

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-26-2003 01:30 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today at lunch, our group was trying to remember somgs that were hits by Robert Palmer. I got curious, so I looked into it when I got back to work.

Hit singles from Robert Palmer, with top 40 hits bolded:

1976/12/04 #63 Man Smart, Woman Smarter (Island 075)
1978/03/25 #16 Every Kinda People (Island 100)
1979/07/21 #14 Bad Case of Loving You (Doctor, Doctor) (Island 49016)
1979/12/22 #52 Can We Still Be Friends (Island 49137)
1983/06/18 #78 You Are In My System (Island 99866)
1985/11/16 #82 Discipline of Love (Why Did You Do It) (Island 99597)
1986/02/08 #1 Addicted To Love (Island 99570)
1986/06/07 #33 Hyperactive (Island 99545)
1986/08/16 #2 I Didn't Mean To Turn You On (Island 99537)
1988/03/26 #94 Sweet Lies (Island 99377)
1988/07/02 #2 Simply Irresistible (EMI-Manhattan 50133)
1988/10/22 #19 Early In The Morning (EMI-Manhattan 50157)
1989/07/01 #60 Tell Me I'm Not Dreaming (EMI 50206)
1990/11/17 #28 You're Amazing (EMI 50338)
1991/02/16 #16 Mercy Mercy Me (The Ecology)/I Want You (EMI 50344)

Robert Palmer was also lead singer of the group Power Station:

1985/03/16 #6 Some Like It Hot (Capitol 5444)
1985/06/08 #9 Get It On (Capitol 5479)
1985/09/07 #34 Communication (Capitol 5511)

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-26-2003 05:33 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good group of songs. One of his best IMO was "Woke Up Laughing," not a hit but a great tune.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-27-2003 06:51 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. Wasn't John Ritter 54 when he died from his heart condition too? This is sad. I really enjoyed his music. "Addicted to Love" and "Simply Irresistible" were upbeat and always made me smile. A sad loss.

=TMP=

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-28-2003 11:10 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A lot of people don't know Robert Palmer was a graphic artist before making it big in music.

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2003 02:15 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Evans' list doesn't include Robert Palmer's excellent but minor hits of the mid-1970's: "Sneakin' Sally Through the Alley", "Sailin' Shoes", "Johnny & Mary", etc.

"Johnny & Mary" is one of my favorite songs.

I met him in the 80s, & he was very much a gentleman. There was at the top of the Omni in Atlanta a restaurant very popular for artists after concerts. After one of those big package shows with some combination of B.B. King, Bobby Bland, Albert King, Little Johnny Taylor, O.V. Wright (sheesh, look at the attrition), etc., we went up (ended after midnight!) top to get something to eat, had a great dinner with Wayne Bennett, who played on Bobby Bland's famous recording of "Stormy Monday" & was somehow available as lead guitar for his orchestra (back when Bobby Bland traveled with 9 or more pieces led by Melvin Jackson), Robert Palmer was up there, having finished a show somewhere else in Atlanta that night, & we all had quite an enjoyable evening.

"Addicted to Love" was a brilliant pop song, & those that he did with the Power Station afterwards were excellent, too. John Taylor, who played bass with Duran Duran & the Power Station, really has never gotten the credit he deserves for really making excellent songs built out of his working rhythm lines up out of close collaboration with the drummers in Duran Duran & Power Station. Pull them apart, & most of what they were is made from the bass & drums.

"You wanna see Bobby Bland, baby? Well, SIT YA ASS DOWN!"
- Melvin Jackson, warming up the audience at the Omni, addressing a screeching drunk woman repeatedly screaming 'I wanna see Bobby!'

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: