Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Tablet PC

Author Topic: Tablet PC
Lance C. McFetridge
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2003 05:42 PM      Profile for Lance C. McFetridge   Email Lance C. McFetridge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone had actual hands-on experience with a tablet PC and if so, opinions based on the experience?
thanks
lance

|  IP: Logged

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-22-2003 11:44 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't had any desire to use one unfortunately. A TabletPC would seem to be a natural for anyone doing graphics work. But the downside is these things have too many crushing limitations.

Tablet PCs typically have only a 900MHz Pentium III CPU (at least that was the average speed the last time I looked at some in the pile of catalogs I get). The display doesn't show enough pixels. Settings of 1024 X 768 or 1280 X 1024 are not high rez enough for serious graphics work. This limitation is also why I have avoided flat screen computer monitors. Finally, what software runs on a Tablet PC? If I cannot run apps like Photoshop, Illustrator and CorelDRAW on it then I can't consider it for purchase even if the CPU and display settings are desireable.

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2003 12:31 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How big a glass of water do you have to drink with that tablet PC?

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-23-2003 05:14 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Enough water so it doesn't get caught in your throat. You suffocate, but instead of seeing a bright white light everything turns to blue...

Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-24-2003 10:31 AM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bobby,

Typically the Tablet PC's use a specialized verson of Windows XP, to allow for some extra features that the tablet allows, and recognition etc. You should be able able to install any XP compatable software on these. Most often they also come with 'docking station' that allows you to use it much like a regular desktop. I think that they have a ways to go to becomming more popular and certianly an increase in power would deffinatly be on that must do list.

But, think of Tablet PC's as this, a laptop with no keyboard, and a touch screen.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: