Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Imaging Windows XP to a larger drive (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Imaging Windows XP to a larger drive
Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 09-21-2003 03:21 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
I am attempting to image my system drive with Windows XP Pro to a larger drive.

The image itself worked fine, with the data copied and the partition on the new drive expanded.

With the new drive in and the old drive completely out, Windows XP Pro boots up, but when it gets to the blue login screen, it just says "Windows XP" and doesn't list any users. I can't get past this screen.

WTF? Is there some security measure I need to know about working around? If I have to reinstall everything including all of the software on the new drive, I'll just stick with the old drive.

|  IP: Logged

Ken McFall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2003 03:28 PM      Profile for Ken McFall   Email Ken McFall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is no security happening that I know of, I also use XP Pro. I've changed drives a number of times with no problems but it has happend to me when restoring an image.

You could try pressing ALT + TAB when the system seems to have frozen to see if there is a window behind that you can't see. It's possibly waiting for an input from you to allow windows to continue loading.... worked for me.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 09-21-2003 03:33 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice pic Adam... Is there a treasure buried below that big "W"? [evil]

>>> Phil

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 09-21-2003 06:28 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a question, once you have your new image of XP Pro on the new drive, do you need to re-activate it? Or do the old keys still apply?

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-21-2003 06:57 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did this myself recently, only with Windows 2000 Professional. Fact of the matter is that Norton Ghost ISN'T quite all it's cracked up to be. It doesn't copy EVERYTHING exactly. I had to reset a lot of my shortcuts, reset my entire network setup, reinstall a few drivers, etc etc etc.

Adam Martin

- posted 09-21-2003 08:08 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
I made the image with Drive Image 3.0 running under Win98se. The XP drive is formatted with FAT32 so that when I'm running under 98 I can still access the drive. I've imaged many a Windows 98 boot drive without event, but this is the first time I've imaged an XP boot drive.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 09-21-2003 11:18 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I may be wrong about this but wasn't XP only designed to run under NTFS file system. I remember when I got my computer with XP it would only let it set up in the NTFS file system mode.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 09-21-2003 11:22 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
You have the option to choose which disk format...at least in Pro. Dunno about the pussy home version...

>>>Phil

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 09-21-2003 11:37 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Darryl, I think you have the option of using NTFS or FAT32. I could be wrong.

Poop on those image copies. I just use software to copy the entire partition. Some Gurus tell me it will not work with XP because Bill Gates put the Kabosh on that so you can't transfer that drive to another machine. I know this holds true with W2K.

If you try, the program will say to itself, "Hmmmmmm...this is not the same enviroment, so the hell with you. I ain't gonna run."

That XP and 2000 Pro is so damned powerful that it can look at the CPU serial number even though it is disabled through the system bios If the serial number is different, it might not run.

However, I would think it would work if the drive was used in the same machine later unless there was some major cchanges in hardware. Some of you have said it does but I never tried it with XP since my machine has 2000 Pro in it. I don't intend to change.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 09-21-2003 11:46 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well, mine is the basic home edition and when I first started the new computer it converted the files to NTFS so I don't know if I had an option or not can't remember.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 09-21-2003 11:49 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was made to NTFS when it was installed. If you build a machine up and install it yourself, you will have that option to choose.

You do with W2K, so I would presume you would with XP. But here again, I could be in error.

Actually, I wonder if that is why you have a problem doing it. The two file system formats do not get along.

I never tried this - so I don't know if it will work. Use your third party software that came with the hard drive and set that new drive up to NTFS. Then try the imaging and see if it will work. But here again, I would just transfer the whole shebang instead of making an image copy.

Your old drive can be converted back to FAT32, but you will lose all your information on it because it is basically re-formatted to FAT32.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 09-21-2003 11:57 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I remember talking to someone about that and he said that the Fat32 and the NTFS act in a different way. Basically he said that the NTFS stores the files in a volume but it is only one volume that is the drive its self. I guess what he was saying was the Fat32 can store files in more than one volume where as the NTFS can not. SOme of what he was saying bounced around bruising my brain so not sure if I explained that totally correct or not. [Smile]

Adam Martin

- posted 09-22-2003 12:09 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
XP will run under either FAT32 or NTFS. So that's not the issue because the new drive is an identical copy of the old drive except it's bigger. That's what the imaging software does. It makes an identical copy of what's on the partition, boot sectors, operating system and all.

The old drive was/is running fine under FAT32. No other hardware has changed in the machine, just the hard drive.

Maybe tomorrow if I have a couple of hours to kill, I'll try imaging the drive again, but let it create a partition that's the same size as the original, to be later resized with Partition Magic.

But I get the feeling that I'll end up editing some registry files to make it think the new drive is what it was originally installed on. This is probably Microsoft's way of making sure you have all of your original installation disks for all of your software by making you reinstall everything. [fu]

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 09-22-2003 12:39 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adam, I could be in total error, but if the old drive is NTFS and the new drive is FAT32, it might not be a successful copy.

If I am wrong, please tell me about the success of copying out of NTFS into FAT32. Like I say, I never tried it.....but your information I will definately stuff in my feeble memory bank. [Smile]

Adam Martin

- posted 09-22-2003 02:47 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not trying to copy from NTFS to FAT32. I'm trying to make an exact copy of a FAT32 drive.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: