Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » GI JOE is headed for the Big Screen.

Author Topic: GI JOE is headed for the Big Screen.
Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-16-2003 04:32 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hasbro sent out the following press release today:

Hasbro, Inc. announced today an agreement with prominent film producer Lorenzo di Bonaventura to develop and produce a full-length, live-action feature film based on Hasbro's legendary G.I. JOE brand.

"A G.I. JOE live-action movie is a natural," said di Bonaventura, a film producer and former Executive Vice President and Head of Worldwide Production and Domestic Marketing for Warner Brothers. "Three generations of children grew up with the G.I. JOE brand and after nearly 40 years, it's an honor to be able to bring the saga and its characters to life on movie screens."

"A live-action film will deliver high energy and non-stop excitement to the millions of fathers and sons that share awesome memories of G.I. JOE," said Brian Goldner, President of Hasbro's U.S. Toys Segment. "Lorenzo has an amazing track-record for picking winners in the entertainment industry and we are thrilled at his enthusiasm and approach towards the G.I. JOE brand."

When Hasbro launched the G.I. JOE brand in 1964, it gave the world its very first "action figure" and defined childhood for millions of fans around the world. Since then, G.I. JOE has come to symbolize patriotism, honor and courage, and is one of the best-selling male action brands of all time. With double-digit increases in toy sales over the past four years, it is clear that a new generation of boys have discovered the excitement of the G.I. JOE brand.

"The depth of the G.I. JOE brand provides incredible opportunities to integrate the property into many lifestyle areas," said Jane Ritson-Parsons, President of the Hasbro Properties Group. "From a highly successful publishing program to a wide variety of relevant consumer product categories, we are able to involve fans of all ages into the adventurous world of G.I. JOE."

While at Warner Brothers, di Bonaventura oversaw production of the Harry Potter series of films, the Matrix series, and Scooby-Doo, among many others. He is currently producing the Warner Brothers feature film Constantine, starring Keanu Reeves, and based on the comic book Hellblazer.

Creative Artists Agency (CAA) made the deal on behalf of Hasbro and di Bonaventura.

The Hasbro Properties Group develops and expands Hasbro, Inc.'s core brands, such as G.I. JOE, TRANSFORMERS, MY LITTLE PONY, MONOPOLY and CANDY LAND, into a wide variety of entertainment and consumer categories.

Hasbro is a worldwide leader in children's and family leisure time entertainment products and services, including the design, manufacture and marketing of games and toys ranging from traditional to high-tech. Both internationally and in the U.S., its PLAYSKOOL, TONKA, MILTON BRADLEY, PARKER BROTHERS, TIGER, and WIZARDS OF THE COAST brands and products provide the highest quality and most recognizable play experiences in the world.

|  IP: Logged

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-16-2003 06:12 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The need to release this thing to DLP theaters only so that no film is wasted on it as it will most likely suck.

GO JOE!!!! [puke]

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 09-16-2003 07:54 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All I ask is:

Which version of GI Joe will they be doing?

-The 60's-70's 'Adventure Team' (bearded, fuzzy head) version

or

-The 80's-present 'Hi-Tech Fantasy Action Hero' version (think Duke Nukem meets the Transformers)...

If its the former it might be worthwile. [Cool]

If the latter, we've seen it already way too many times before. [puke]

-Aaron

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-17-2003 08:09 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never played with GI Joe.

Bet the film tanks.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: