Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » It's Official -- I'm Jadded! (aka Mike Must Have Digital)

Author Topic: It's Official -- I'm Jadded! (aka Mike Must Have Digital)
Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 09-13-2003 11:13 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First off many praises to the Management at AMC Palm Promanade 25. Especially Dion. He handled my refund very profesionaly. Deffinately the best experience i've had talking to an AMC manager (no offence to anyone), and definately the reason I will return and continue to enjoy movies at this theatre.

(rant mode on)

I'm going to see the Sneak Peek of Fighting Temptations tonight. So up comes Fandango where I take a look at my options.

Parkway Plaza 18 - Hmmm nope. went there last week.
AMC fasion valley - Screens under 8 feet tall. No thanks.
AMC mission valley - Torus Screens. Nuff said.
UA Horton - No Stadium Seating
Pacific Grossmont - Wow. Cant describe the Suckiness of this place.
Ultra Star Chulla Vista - Again, No Stadium Seating. (sorry Tim and Mike, wihing I had gone there now!)

Anyway, I landed on the Palm Promanade, One of the Handfull of AMCs that I actually like. Got there early, bought concessions, sat down in the theatre and listened to Chris Eric Stevens "Take It Back to the Old School" with a new version of "Saturday Night". Things are going well. They even extended the side masking at showtime! (A touch I really like!) The trailers run through. All Paramount. All sounding great. Then The feature started. The drop in audio quality was really significant. Most people probably wouldnt notice, but for me it was compleately unlistenable.

Long story short.
Used to be a time when this would bug me, but not to an extent where i couldnt enjoy the movie. Now In this case, I actually got a refund and left! I still havent seen Fighting Temptations beyond the first 5 minutes.

Why do I care so much? I dont know! Have I become Jaded listening to so many films?
And another thing.
Why does AMC continue install SDDS, the most rare digital format, in all there houses? Is this why people think there Home Theatres kick the shorts off there Multi plex? If they frequent AMC, Mabey there systems do! Heck! A 150 dollar radio shack amp with cheap speakers would sound good compared to the Analog backup used in most theatres! And when your ONLY system is SDDS. that winds up being a good third of the time! Why does Paramount have many of there trailers mixed in SDDS when they dont relese most of there movies in it! Would SDDS even still be around at all if AMC didnt buy into it?

It just makes me go Nuckin' Futs!

Ok I'm done now. Let me go find my flame resistant suit, to protect me from the AMC employees and SDDS proliferaters that post here.

|  IP: Logged

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 09-14-2003 03:38 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's a torus screen?

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 09-14-2003 03:53 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Number of times Pixarologist Mike Olpin has seen "Finding Nemo" so far: 12
Number of girlfriends Pixarologist Mike Olpin has had: 0

quote:
Why do I care so much? I dont know!
See above.

quote:
Why does AMC continue install SDDS, the most rare digital format, in all there houses?
Why does Mike O. continue to refuse to understand it is their houses if they belong to them ?

Christopher Duvall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-14-2003 03:57 AM      Profile for Christopher Duvall   Email Christopher Duvall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Correct me if I'm wrong, I think they are screens with no perferations drawn tight in front of am airtight box. The air is then sucked out of the box causing the screen to cave in giving it a concave shape. It is supposed to help with focus since light emits in a spherical pattern from the lens. Unfortunately I have never seen one in action. The speakers are placed around the screen instead of behind it.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-14-2003 04:08 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Christopher is correct. They are literally the screens that suck. If you saw them yourself, you'd agree.

Jon Bartow
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-14-2003 10:30 PM      Profile for Jon Bartow   Email Jon Bartow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You've seen the curved screens that are curved left to right? This is to help with focus, so that the entire width of the screen is in the same focal plane of the lens. A Torus (a torus is actually the "official" geometric term for a donut shape) screen is curved both left to right and top to bottom in the manner described above for exactly the same reason. Usually L/C/R speakers have the bass bin below the screen and the HF above the screen. Produces very strange sounding theaters.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 09-15-2003 09:04 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The "Torus" compound curve screen was developed by Glenn Berggren and Gerald Nash. It was designed to optimize luminance uniformity when using high gain screens. It did a very good job at doing that, but since the speakers could not be behind the unperforated screen, and the curved surface had significant focusing of sound reflections as well, there were sound issues.

The Fall 1997 issue of Kodak's "Film Notes for Reel People" (H-50-44) published an article written by Glenn Berggren and Gerald Nash:

http://www.film-tech.com/manuals/H5044.pdf

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-15-2003 09:44 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike: Why would you go to an AMC to see a movie that you knew wouldn't have SDDS?

Torus screens really do suck. If the fan box goes out and the screen sags for more than an hour or however long the screen will be permenantly damaged. A waste of $30k if you ask me.

I don't see why everyone hates analog sound so much, on a properly maintained system SR can sound almost as good as digital. Of course I prefer DTS over SR anyday.

Martin Brooks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-15-2003 11:06 PM      Profile for Martin Brooks   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, you're absolutely correct to walk out on any presentation that sucks. I've been doing it for years.

I remember seeing some rock concert film, probably around 1974 or so at the otherwise wonderful (now-defunct) Loews Kings in Brooklyn (pre-Dolby). I purposely called first to make sure they were showing the film in 4-tk mag. They were, only one channel was missing. There would be a closeup of a musician going crazy playing an organ only you didn't hear any organ. The manager claimed "it was supposed to sound like that." I wrote directly to Larry Tisch on that one. He admitted to a technical problem.

When I saw E.T. (I think at the now-defunct Movieland on Broadway in Manhattan), there was a high-pitched tone heard throughout the film. Sounded like 10K to me, except that I knew the system probably couldn't reproduce 10KHZ. I complained at the end of that one because the theater was too crowded for me to get out and back into my seat center seat. The manager said to his associate, "oh..he heard the problem." They gave me another ticket, but why would I want to go there again?

When I saw Buena Vista Social Club, tracks were coming out of the wrong speakers. The genius projectionist told me to sit all the way on the left. Got my money back on that one.

More recently, went to see "The Secret Lives of Dentists" on the third day of the run. Print had a continuous scratch. Got my money back on that one also.

And those are just the bad experiences that I remember.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-16-2003 04:44 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They showed trailers in digital when the feature wasn't? How tacky! That says two things to their customers: first, "our sound maintenance sucks" (since their optical sound was bad) and, second, "we care enough about marketing to install 'digital' sound, but don't care enough about actual sound quality to install a system which can play back your film, no do we care enough to maintain our optical system, either."

Oddly enough, I've recently been caring less and less about digital sound lately. Maybe it's because I've been lucky enough to see films in theatres with properly aligned optical systems and maybe it has something to do with the fact that I haven't seen any big, loud, action movies lately. Obviously, it makes a difference for anything with a really good sound mix, with lots of music and effects, but for dialogue-centered films with only incidental music, I don't hear much benefit.

Martin Brooks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-16-2003 11:30 AM      Profile for Martin Brooks   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, even for films that are not effects films and primarily dialog, I greatly prefer digital sound to optical, although I'd probably prefer analog mag to digital.

Maybe SR is okay when absolutely everything else in the A- and B-chains is tuned perfectly and the acoustics of the house are good, but IMHO, you get better high-end in digital and that is essential for dialog intelligibility. In fact, it's probably more important for dialog than it is for music and sfx. Also, since SR (analog) is matrixed, you get less separation between the channels, so you have lots of music leakage into the center channel mixing with the dialog.

Regardless of the format, whenever I'm in a theater (and this goes back to mag days), the first thing I listen for is a clean high end and decent channel separation. If I hear that, I always breathe a sigh of relief.

Having said all that, as I've posted elsewhere, when I saw King Kong at the Loews Jersey last year, I thought the old optical sound in that theater sounded just great.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-16-2003 09:42 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I don't whether to dislike Sony for inventing SDDS or Paramount/Fox/MGM for not utilizing it. Nevertheless, I don't mind watching a film in analog as long as the movie isn't one with a mix that depends on digital like Finding Nemo or Star Wars. For the most part, our auditoriums have good analog sound. There are a few stinkers, but when digital is used mostly, no one cares about properly aligning them. Heck, one has a large hum and a buzz from the right channel when running in analog. Thankfully it is a SRD house so everything is digital, except the random dropout, which is EXTREMELY noticeable. [fu]

AJG

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 09-17-2003 06:16 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
...no one cares about properly aligning them. Heck, one has a large hum and a buzz from the right channel when running in analog. Thankfully it is a SRD house so everything is digital, except the random dropout, which is EXTREMELY noticeable. [fu]

Who made the decision not to repair this obvious problem? Can the issue be brought to the attention of someone higher in the chain of command, such as the VP of projection? Sometimes the engineering staff of a theatre circuit doesn't hear about problems because local management doesn't fully appreciate how poor presentation quality can lose customers.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-17-2003 05:11 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of our managers even watched a film in there and didn't say a word. Our tech has been in at least three times since then and has not done a thing. I've told the proper people and followed the chain of command. It's just getting them to do it that is the hard part. Why can't people just do their job and care for once!

AJG

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: