Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Tired Of Multiplex?

Author Topic: Tired Of Multiplex?
Edward Jurich
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-11-2003 09:11 AM      Profile for Edward Jurich   Email Edward Jurich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This recently restored single screen theater I've been doing some work for is getting some interesting comments. I was working last Sunday and had several people come in saying how they were tired of going to the AMC multi-plex and were glad to see the theater reopened and running a current movie. One thing that was done during the restoration was to opt for more legroom and less seating, 635 seats down to just over 400. Besides liking the extra legroom, another comment included being sick of having to sit through several minutes of commercials before the show. Also, it seems that not everyone likes festival/stadium seating.

|  IP: Logged

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-11-2003 10:46 AM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I liked having a more than one theatre to go to. When I was a kid there were four different theatres within walking distance.

Even though I work at a megaplex, I think theatres are getting too big.

Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-11-2003 11:54 AM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From the very start, I thought the gigaplexes were far over rated, Instead of the exhibitors taking the opportunity to offer a more varied selection of films, all they did is have 8 screens of this, 6 screens of that etc.

Most of the gigaplexes are virtual copies of themselves, and offer no real "character". In addition the crowds makes it feel like Grand Central Station vs a movie theater. Customer service and presentation almost always takes a back seat to moving customers in and out as quickly as possible.

Martin Brooks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-11-2003 01:45 PM      Profile for Martin Brooks   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think there's another issue and that is that going to the movies used to be a relatively special event, even pre-TV when admissions per capita were much higher than they are today. People used to get dressed to go to the movies and I think one of the reasons was the splendor and formality of the theaters.

While times have changed and people now even show up at Broadway shows in torn shorts and t-shirts, the advent of the cinderblock multiplex has changed the way we feel about attending a movie -- it's made it much more ordinary.

There's an ad that ran in Boxoffice a few years ago. I forget what the ad was for (so I guess it wasn't a good ad), but it featured a great photo of the Sutton theater in NYC taken in the 1950s. The theater was playing some Disney nature documentary and a crowd dressed in suits, hats and dresses was lined up around the block. I suspect the photo was taken on a Sunday.

Frankly, I don't think it's the number of screens that's the issue. I think it's the ambience of the theater that's the most important factor - most are designed no nicer than the average fast food restaurant, which isn't surprising considering that the income comes from the concession stand. Even multiplexes that are nicely appointed and clean have no character. Even some of the theaters in NYC that have lobbies or concession areas designed by David Rockwell have no real character once you move out of those areas.

One of the reasons I enjoy seeing films at the single-screen Ziegfeld in NYC is because aside from the usually good quality of the presentation and the large screen, it still has an ambience of luxury and it still feels special to attend a film there.

And I agree with those who wonder why they bother to build all those (small) screens if they're going to play the same film on so many of them instead of building fewer, larger screens.

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-11-2003 06:39 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
From the very start, I thought the gigaplexes were far over rated, Instead of the exhibitors taking the opportunity to offer a more varied selection of films, all they did is have 8 screens of this, 6 screens of that etc.
This week the AMC Hamilton picks up Thirteen (on its national break) and American Splendor. That megaplex also holds over Camp, Dirty Pretty Things, and Le Divorce.

quote:
Also, it seems that not everyone likes festival/stadium seating.
In Bucks County PA the only place you can see The Magdalene Sisters this week is a stadium theater -- the Regal Warrington Crossing.

Give me a megaplex any day. [Big Grin]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: