Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Information on learning to play bass guitar

Author Topic: Information on learning to play bass guitar
Christopher Duvall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-07-2003 04:11 AM      Profile for Christopher Duvall   Email Christopher Duvall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just moved in to my new house and after moving in, I was able to pull my POS Palmer P-Bass out of storage since I have space now. I got it from a friend years ago with the intent of learning to play. I now want to do it. I recently dismantled it and cleaned inside and out, checked the frets, replaced the pick-ups (new Duncan pickups), replaced the nut, the strings, the pots and the jack. I have it tuned and ready to go. It has nice thick heavy sound. THe problem is that I do not know how to properly play it. I can pick out a song by ear after tooling around with it, but I totally suck. I don't have any real time to take lessons due to family and job obligations but I do not sleep much at night. Is there any anything online that can teach me how to hold it properly, do maintenance and so forth? What I have seen so far is just not enough. One site has taught me how to do finger excercises which I am doing now to prep me for fret work. Any tips, websites, good books or whatever would be helpful.

BTW, my goal is to be able to play funk and ska one day but I do not expect miracles.

|  IP: Logged

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 09-07-2003 11:13 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris,

What you need is bass tabs. here is a link to one of many sites.

Bass Tabs

Sean M. Grimes
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-07-2003 11:53 AM      Profile for Sean M. Grimes   Author's Homepage   Email Sean M. Grimes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris,

And for a wealth of information check out TalkBass I have been playing for almost 20 years, and semi-professionally seven. They're good guys over there and will answer just about any question as long as it is asked in a non-trolling way (which I know you dont!)Just browse the forums.

I honestly recommend a teacher. To play seriously, it will help musically theory wise and technique wise. A hell of alot more than a book will. [Cool]

I started playing Double Bass classically, then Double Bass again in a jazz situation. Then went electric for fusion and rock. It's a great thing to play bass, I love it!

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-07-2003 12:56 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One thing I recall from having played bass in high school orchestra is I had to "unlearn" a lot of stuff I picked up from playing guitar. This is really where having a teacher right there in the room with you will help. It is tough to just do it from a book, tape or stuff you download.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 09-07-2003 01:06 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, you're in a great town for music training. Lots and lots of professional musicians here that teach or tutor on the side. Like Bobby said, there's really no replacement (at least initially) for having a teacher right there to keep you from learning bad habits. I know your schedule is rough, but drop by the music department at CCSN sometime and talk to Dick McGee or Dee Gauss-Snelson, or Tom Ferguson. All are former or current orchestra leaders in town, and all would have recommendations for bass teachers and tutors.

Christopher Duvall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-07-2003 10:32 PM      Profile for Christopher Duvall   Email Christopher Duvall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanx guys...if there is any other info out there, I am a sponge...

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-08-2003 01:54 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You will need a pipe, the crookedy kind like Duck Dunn smokes, otherwise people will think you're trying to be Albert King but have picked up the wrong instrument.

You will also absolutely need 2,000 sets of star-shaped sunglasses
 -
and it will be neccessary to wear only a diaper onstage.

Christopher Duvall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2003 02:14 AM      Profile for Christopher Duvall   Email Christopher Duvall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All I can say is...Bootsy is da man. I might be able to do the diaper thing after doing Rocky Horror for about 16 years, but buying 2000 glasses is where I draw the line. [Razz]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: