Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Another Browser discussion... Hopefully polite! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Another Browser discussion... Hopefully polite!
Don Bruechert
Mmmmmmmmm, bird!

- posted 09-02-2003 03:22 PM      Profile for Don Bruechert   Author's Homepage   Email Don Bruechert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just wanted to pass along a browser that has been in development for a while and I decided to check out. It's from the mozilla people and called "firebird". For those who might want a full-featured browser that is lean and easy to use, why not check it out. One nice thing is thaere are no mail and news functions to slow everything down. It loads quick and runs fast. The mail and news stuff is available as a free standing program if you want it. So far I think it's great!
www.mozilla.org will get you there.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-02-2003 07:02 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Rather than click on the link and read, I shall pull a Joe and make you answer my questions.

Does it have a built in solution to reject pop up windows like Opera?

Does it have mouse click gestures for navigating pages like Opera?

When you tell it to not cache, does it really not cache like Opera...or does it cache anyway like IE?

Sean M. Grimes
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2003 08:20 PM      Profile for Sean M. Grimes   Author's Homepage   Email Sean M. Grimes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From scanning the "reasons to switch" page, there are not mouse gestures, and it has just the block all popups, which will also allow you to "pick your popups" It seems to have some good features. I'll have to check this out.

Don Bruechert
Mmmmmmmmm, bird!

- posted 09-03-2003 10:50 AM      Profile for Don Bruechert   Author's Homepage   Email Don Bruechert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can tell you right now that it does have pop up blocking, and it is configurable so if you have sites that you want to allow pop-ups on you can put them on the allow list.

If I recall correctly, was Opera the browser that "numbered" items for you to click on or put flags on or some such? I know it doesn't do anything fancy with the links, but it will allow you to open links into tabbed pages so that you can go back and forth. A benefit for this site would be that you could have one tab with chat running, and be reading forums in the other. No need for minimizing up and down to see what's going on, just switch tabbed windows....

Don't know about the caching - I will have to check and get back to you. Since it is based on gecko/mozilla I would assume it may behave like netscape, but there are not a whole lot of similarities there either....

--- Added ----

OK, looked up the caching, and I think all you have to do if you don't want it to cache at all is set the maximum allowable disk space to caching to zero. Then it can't cache.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-03-2003 02:40 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
It would be nice if you could have a "non-cache list" of sites. [Smile]

This looks interesting, but I don't know if I can live without my mouse gestures. Aren't there some programmable mice out there now that can assign gestures? Or is that just assigning to the "extra" buttons on the mouse?

Sean M. Grimes
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2003 04:35 PM      Profile for Sean M. Grimes   Author's Homepage   Email Sean M. Grimes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
so after a day of playing around with mozilla, ehh. Opera still kicks my ass. If opera didn't exist anymore, than possibly I would switch. But no mouse gestures, well it sucks. No offense against mozilla just an offense against all browsers. But as a secondary choice, I would go for it. [thumbsup] and the tabbed windows feature, well it's great in Opera lots and lots of choices.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-03-2003 07:40 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sean, what version of Opera are you using? I am using 6.0.6 and I think I may have something set wrong. When I click a link or try to go to almost any webpage, it sits there and "stalls" for a few seconds before it actually goes. Once it gets there all is fast and good. IE doesn't stall and runs at warp speed, same goes for the browsers in Mac OS X (the ones in OS 9 are always slow). Anyway I have heard that they have fixed the problems with Opera 7.

Any modern web browser MUST block pop-ups. That is a necessity and the reason I don't use IE. As for mouse gestures, I could live without them. I really like my MicroSoft Intellimouse with forward and back buttons on it. A lot easier (and quicker) to use than mouse gestures.

I have Mozilla installed on my PC and it is OK. I'm not sure, but I don't recall any way to block pop ups. Did they JUST release a new version? Mine is maybe a month old at most. Also there are many sites and forums that it did not render correctly. Maybe I have it set up improperly?

Sean M. Grimes
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2003 12:14 AM      Profile for Sean M. Grimes   Author's Homepage   Email Sean M. Grimes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe
I currently use opera 6 and 7.11(windows for both versions). For my G4 Mac that I am running in my studio I think it's 6.03? And your right, just about any browser for os 9 is pretty slow, especially that horribly ported Internet Explorer. One of the things that I would check for the stall problem would be to see how many max connections that you have running. (Preferences, Network) Too many can clog your browser connection. For my cable connection I run about 5.

The only problem that I've see with Opera 7 is that sometimes (only on forum pages actually [Confused] ) on a back page it will bring you to the main forum screen... Actually it only seems to happen on UtilmateUbb run forums. But besides that Opera 7.11 is definitely the way to go!

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-04-2003 01:55 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Sean thanks for the tip! Seems to be working. Though for some weird reason when I clicked "Post Reply" I got the reply box and then suddenly an Infopop ad filled the frame! I have pop-ups blocked. And I KNOW Film-Tech isn't dishing out any ads. Weird.

Edit: Actually it's not helping. Things are still slow. Oh well back to IE, which is the best browser on the PC (except for the fact it doesn't block pop-ups --- that's all I ask!).

Elena N. Solovyova
Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2003 05:36 AM      Profile for Elena N. Solovyova   Email Elena N. Solovyova   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why bother?

There are not so many things nowadays that just work, and IE is one of them. Just set your windows to auto-update, and you'll never have any trouble with it.

Our CP-650 does not recognise gestures, and I am absolutely happy with it!

(Ooh, sorry. I'm in really bad mood today, thanks to our projectionist who almost ditched the show trying to "improve" gate watercooling.)

Don Bruechert
Mmmmmmmmm, bird!

- posted 09-04-2003 01:01 PM      Profile for Don Bruechert   Author's Homepage   Email Don Bruechert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe,

Firebird is supposed to be different than Mozilla. Supposedly it is designed to be just a browser and they stripped out all the mail and news stuff. They also tried to configure it so you got the maximum amount of screen available for viewing the website.

So far I am still "testing" it. I need to copy over my bookmarks and I haven't found where the new version of Netscape has them stashed yet.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 09-04-2003 01:07 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had tested Opera 6 a while back and ran into numerous problems, so I stuck with IE6. Recently I tried Opera 7.11, and it seems *greatly* improved. I really like it. Yeah, it does crash a little more than IE, but its convenience features far outweigh the minor annoyances. The tabbed windows feature is great!

I haven't tried Firebird yet.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-04-2003 02:45 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Does Opera 7.11 still print everything in bold font like the early version of 7 did? I had originally tried that and gave up on it after about 5 minutes because it was so hard to read everything.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-04-2003 07:27 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just found an interesting browser for Windows that y'all might like to try. It's called Avant, or "OperaIE" in some circles. It seems to combine the best of Opera and IE. It blocks pop-ups (just be sure to turn off that stupid noise it makes whenever it does block a pop-up). It has mouse gestures for Brad. It seems to render forums correctly (Opera seemed to have a few problems with vBulletin forums). The text appears like it should. And it runs fast. So far I am very impressed! It seems to be free, but it requires that you have IE installed on your system. Don't worry, it doesn't modify the original IE, it creates a new app.

The worst thing about it is the Windows XP look. But I can live with that. Try it here:

http://www.versiontracker.com/redir.fcgi/lid=283995/iosetup.exe

-

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-04-2003 10:30 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I just gave this one a shot. So far I am VERY impressed!!! [thumbsup]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: