Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Regal Entertainment to show "Rush in Rio" Oct 21

Author Topic: Regal Entertainment to show "Rush in Rio" Oct 21
Trevor Bailey
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2003 03:10 PM      Profile for Trevor Bailey   Author's Homepage   Email Trevor Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From the Rush website:

RUSH READIES RUSH IN RIO -
FIRST-EVER LIVE DOUBLE-DVD SET & DELUXE TRIPLE-CD SET SLATED FOR OCTOBER 21st

(September 3, 2003) Legendary rock trio Rush (Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson, Neil Peart) returns October 21st with the simultaneous release of a two-disc, first-ever live DVD and a three-disc live CD, both entitled RUSH IN RIO. The sets capture all the excitement of the band’s 2002 tour of North and South America. One of the largest-grossing tours of the year, the itinerary found Rush performing before hundreds of thousands of fans throughout Canada, the United States and, for the very first time, in Mexico and Brazil. RUSH IN RIO (DVD on Anthem/Coming Home/Zoë; CD on Anthem/Atlantic) was recorded and filmed at Maracana Stadium in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil on the final night of the tour in front of a spirited crowd of over 60,000.
Regal Theaters will host special theatrical premieres of the DVD in over 30 major markets on release date. A complete list of cities and theaters will be announced in September.

|  IP: Logged

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 09-02-2003 04:07 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am a huge Rush fan and will be looking forward to the DVD. But once again it is not worth going to a theater to se it. Rush is another band that is best seen live in person.

George Roher
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2003 04:32 PM      Profile for George Roher   Email George Roher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone who experienced the Vapor Trails tour will not find the same experience in a multiplex theatre. The blast of heat in your face from the pyro effects in "One Little Victory" will be missing. And the full impact of the lasers can't be recreated in a two dimensional format.

My theatre has run a couple DVD presentations like this on our DLP projector and the picture quality is awful. But this DVD will be fantastic for home viewing.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-02-2003 06:18 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been a Rush fan since the band released the "Permanent Waves" album in 1980 (that one has the classics "Spirit of Radio" and "Freewill" on it). Their shows always kick ass.

One of my favorites they did live was "Distant Early Warning". They had this huge projection screen with film images of a boy riding a speeding cruise missile (sort of a Doctor Strangelove thing). The lasers, monstrous bass-laden sound and other eye/ear candy made the song pack a whallop.

A few friends of mine were converted into Rush fans after witnessing the Power Windows tour in 1986. Sure, Geddy Lee may have a wierd, nasaly voice, but he plays bass like a motherf**ker and the sheer spectacle of their shows can hardly be matched. Perhaps Pink Floyd's "Momentary Lapse of Reason" tour (as seen in a sold-out Giants Stadium) is about the only other thing I've seen to equal or surpass it.

It should be said that Neil Peart's drum solos alone are worth the price of admission. Not only is the guy a marvelous player, but he always does something unusual and creatively different every tour.

One downside though, I think Rush has kind of been trying to find a place of current relevance in rock music these days. "Counterparts" was the last CD they released that I liked and bought.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 09-02-2003 07:13 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Vapor trails features the song Freeze wich is considered by the band as part four of Fear.

Part one was The Enemy Within from Grace under preasure
Part two was The Weapon from Signals
Part three was Witch Hunt from Moving Pictures

Unfortunatly the last time the band played in my local area was in 1984. It pisses me off that we have such shitty promoters for our area and or the lack of ability for our area to bring the bands back in that are worth a crap.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2003 09:35 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am the biggest Rush Fan that I have ever met. After getting to meet Geddy Lee last September and sitting front row here in Vegas for the VT tour, I have been waiting for the "Rush in Rio" set for months now. I have been to every concert since Power Windows. Being in the theatre business for 14 years - I will be seeking out the theatres that will be showing this special presentation. I have waited and waited and waited for the moment that my passion for their music and my passion for the theatre business would collide. AND HERE IT IS.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 09-02-2003 11:27 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw them on the Signals and Grace Under Preasure tours. The latter tour is the first time they got heavy into the lasers. The signals tour featured the song Countdown with the FILM image being projected onto the large screen of the space shuttle Columbia lifting off. Man I remember those shows like it was yeasterday. The arena was sold out for both tours. Around 18,000 fans. THose were the days.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: