Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Midnight shows

Author Topic: Midnight shows
Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-02-2003 06:21 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was recently talking with a theatre owner about this. For those who do midnight shows, what's currently popular with the college crowd?

Some films seem to never lose popularity ("Clockwork Orange," "Holy Grail," "Rocky Horror," "The Godfather," etc.), but I'm more interested in current trends. "Donnie Darko" seems to be big right now. Has anyone done "Fight Club" lately? In the late '90s, "Ferris Bueller," "Princess Bride," and other '80s titles were big, as well as early '90s "indie" stuff like "Clerks," "Pulp Fiction," and "Trainspotting." Are any of these still playable?

What else might be worth booking?

|  IP: Logged

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 09-02-2003 11:21 AM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Night Of the Living Dead

Invasion of the Body Snatcher's

All Monty Python Movies

All Mel Brooks Movies

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 09-03-2003 12:19 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fight Club and Princess Bride do very well for us. We run both twice a year Saturday misnight to 600 to 800. None of the others mentioned in either post have brought us more than 125. With the exception of Rock Horror which we will not run due to the problematic audiences and Johnny Darko which we are doing next week.

Jeff Stricker
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2003 10:39 AM      Profile for Jeff Stricker   Email Jeff Stricker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
THE BLOB [uhoh] The original with Steve McQueen.

Peter Kerchinsky
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2003 02:53 PM      Profile for Peter Kerchinsky   Email Peter Kerchinsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott
All those titles you mentioned have played a Landmark theatre here in Seattle at midnight and I believe all have done well.
I would like to see THE WANDERERS show up on the midnight circuit, but not sure if Warners have any prints. Bizarre movie!
Great soundtrack!

Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2003 04:04 PM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any of the Indiana Jones trilogy, Top Gun, Blade Runner, Alien, Aliens would also make good midnight shows

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 09-04-2003 04:30 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When we had late shows at the Odeon Theatre in Westwood, Ca. (Near UCLA) We ran late shows on Sunday night and did very well with them. Here are a few titles that we ran.
  • Apocalypse Now in 70MM
    Alien in 70MM
    Aliens in 70MM
    Doors in 70MM
    Deliverance in 70MM
    Road Warrior in 70MM
    Altered States in 70MM

La Femme Nikita in 35mm
    Adv. of Buckaroo Banzai in 35mm
We also ran a print of the "Big Bus", that one did only fair.

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 09-04-2003 11:03 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If its the Rocky horror crowd your after, run Hedwig and the Angry Itch at midnight [Wink]

JJ

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-05-2003 12:55 AM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another big one ... I've seen audience participation/dress-up

"The Big Lebowski"

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-05-2003 09:56 AM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Howard The Duck in 70MM

No wait... you want people to show up, don't you? [Wink]

You could always do a "George Lucas Film Fest" and not release the titles you will be showing. Just that it will be a Lucas-Related movie each night. [evil]

=TMP=

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-05-2003 03:27 PM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Josh, try Hedwig.

Here in the SoCal area we have 2 theatres that show the film monthly at midnight with a full cast. One in Long Beach at the ART, one in the Hollywood area at the Laemmle Fairfax 3.

Unlike RHPS, the crowd tends to be more mature, and more peaceful. No throwing of things or screaming of obscene language. Everyone just sings along with the film and has a great time. [thumbsup]

Danny

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-08-2003 02:13 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What about 70s - 80s retro r&r films like The Wall & Repo Man?
Totally dead to the demo now?

Geesh, this makes me remember Basket Case midnights at the Waverly in NYC & Rocky Horror at I think it was the Silver Screen in Atlanta. Rocky Horror was also running at I think the 4th Street Playhouse in NYC?

It would be fun to recycle old ideas with "Freddie vs. Jason" out now, & do a "Midnight til Dawn Nightmare on Elm Street Marathon" or something.

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-08-2003 09:05 AM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seeing The Wall in 6track 70mm would be just awesome, but it's too bad that most of those prints have faded.

I've always liked the idea of having a Dusk to Dawn " Lethal Weapon " or " Die Hard " trilogies.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 09-09-2003 01:04 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These have been our best performers---run more than once to crowds over 500
Dark Side of Oz (Wizard of Oz with Dark Side of Oz soundtrace)
Princess Bride
Goonies the best performer of all
Fight Club
Office Space
Neverending Story always a very rowdy crowd
Exorcist
Indiana Jones All
Labyrinth we have never run it, but it continues to be the most requested film. There are no prints. Hinson & Associates owns it and they say they do not intend to have any prints produced. They told us that license is available if we can get a print. They did not discuss a price
Bladerunner

These were all poor performers
Ferris Bueller
A Clockwork Orange
Pulp Fiction
Monty Python----All
Mel Brooks Comedies All
The Wall
Repo Man
Lethal Weapon All
Die Hard---the first one,never tried the rest, no need to.
Airplane brought less than 50 and the print was a gorgeous pink

Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2003 11:19 PM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A popular film for college crowds I did not see mentioned here on my first run-through is "Harold and Maude". Great performances by Bud Cort and Ruth Gordon and soundtrack features Cat Stevens.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: