Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Whale Farts

Author Topic: Whale Farts
Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 08-30-2003 03:23 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just had to share this: [Big Grin]

From the Discovery Channel: Whale Flatulence Captured in Photo

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-30-2003 03:42 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting. Though I am not sure if there were enough pop-ups at that site. You'd think Discover wouldn't need pop-ups.

Jon Miller
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-30-2003 03:49 PM      Profile for Jon Miller   Email Jon Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gives new meaning to the phrase, "thar she blows!" [Big Grin]

Paul Cassidy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-30-2003 03:52 PM      Profile for Paul Cassidy   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Cassidy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IF they had been observed here in NZ they might be subject to our silly Green House Emission Tax , At present they are going try to Tax farmers for Emissions from their Live Stock or F.A.R.T Tax. Story Follows ===
ENVIRONMENT-OFFBEAT
'Fart tax' causes a stink

A tax on farting, belching livestock to be introduced by New Zealand to help combat global warming is creating a stink among the country's farmers.

Methane emissions created by grass-munching cows, sheep, deer and goats are believed to account for about half of New Zealand's emissions of greenhouse gases.

Now the country is attempting to clear the air by introducing a levy on pungent emissions by mid-2004.

The tax will fund a new Agriculture Emissions Research body to meet commitments to the Kyoto Protocol global environment agreement.

Farmers are outraged

But farmers are outraged, saying the agricultural sector is already paying for its own research.

The new tax, which will bring in around eight million NZ dollars a year (US$4.5-million) amounted to "overkill", said Jeff Grant, chairman of Meat New Zealand, a livestock industry support organisation.
Tom Lambie, president of agricultural body Federated Farmers, said the levy disadvantaged farmers struggling to compete against less gas-anxious nations.

"As far as I'm aware, we're the only country in the world to impose a levy like this," he said.

NZ farmers facing hard times

Jim Eagles, business editor of the New Zealand Herald daily called the levy "unnecessary, unfair and potentially damaging to the economy." New Zealand's farmers are already facing hard times due to a sharp downturn in returns for their produce.
Eagle said factories from industrialised nations, not herds of cattle and sheep, were the main cause behind the increase in global warming, he said.

New Zealand is home to around 45 million sheep and 9.6 million cattle, according to Statistics New Zealand.

AFP

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-30-2003 04:11 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't get ANY popups. Oh wait, it's because I am using the mighty Opera browser. [thumbsup]

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 08-30-2003 07:15 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The "Proxomitron" local proxy does it for me! (Navigator or Exploder) [thumbsup]

Jon Miller
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-30-2003 07:48 PM      Profile for Jon Miller   Email Jon Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to Mozilla, I've virtually forgotten what a popup is. [Smile]

The Mac OS X Mozilla browser, which I use, allows you to deflate popups by turning off the "allow scripts to open unrequested windows" preference. It works 99.9% of the time (alas, I've happened across at least one popup-killer-hostile site in my travels) and earns an [thumbsup] from me.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 08-30-2003 09:21 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Funny, I didn't get any popups when I hit that site, and I'm using IE6 with no special popup killers. I am behind a NAT box being used as a firewall but I don't think that would make any difference.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 08-31-2003 12:50 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Geeze, I wonder what an elephant can do... [evil]

Travis Hubrig
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-31-2003 12:59 AM      Profile for Travis Hubrig   Email Travis Hubrig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got a buddy that we should be taxing...

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 08-31-2003 04:25 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Geeze, I wonder what an elephant can do...
Paul, whales are much bigger than elephants, so that is probably the biggest fart in the world! On the other hand, elephants are probably the animals which deliver the most impressive sneeze (on account of the long nose).

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-31-2003 06:02 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got a friend with a Great Dane that can kill, and yes, we are talking farts.

Miss Marbles: (sniff) Good God, Gas!
Miss Withers: I cant help it, I'm old.
Miss Marbles: No, not that kind.. The kind that kills!
Miss Withers: Sometimes my gas k...

--from Murder By Death (1976 Columbia/Rastar)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: