Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » What kind of incident closed your area swimming pool?

Author Topic: What kind of incident closed your area swimming pool?
Matthew Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-28-2003 09:59 PM      Profile for Matthew Bailey   Email Matthew Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has there been an incident that closed your area swimming pool?
Just now, one incident at my area YMCA swimming pool almost did!
Apparently-excuse me for getting too grotesque here-someone -not me-barfed in the pool which vacated it for about 30 minutes.
Never allow any Film Guard drinking people in a swimming pool!
[Big Grin]

|  IP: Logged

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 08-28-2003 11:38 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know of many incidents that have forced pools to close, other than insurance liability policies becoming too expensive to carry.

My chief complaint with most swimming pools: no diving boards.

We can thank lawyers for that. You see, in typical American fashion, when someone tries a stupid stunt and splits open his head on the diving board it is never his fault! Blame it on the person who owns/operates the pool. If a kid climbs your fence in the middle of the night to go pool-hopping and drowns, it's never the kid's fault. Blame it on the home owner.

I suppose one can make the reach that America, having over 70% of the attorneys on this planet, have collectively given the signal that dumbasses are not responsible for the stupid shit they do. Just sue someone else nearby who has some cash. This kind of gives way to the whole "blame it all on something else; it's not my fault I screwed up in my life" nonsense.

Stupid people make life difficult.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 08-28-2003 11:53 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of the YMCA pools up here in the NW part of town gets closed down about every other week or so due to... no way to put this delicately... kids' poop. Anytime the floating dooey count exceeds zero, the health department says the pool must be vacated for 24 hours and the bacteria count monitored. [puke]

I used to swim at the other, older Y but gave up the membership there because it was too expensive (as much or more than any of the athletic clubs here). Nowadays I swim laps at either the main city or county pools--haven't had a dooey encounter at either one yet. [uhoh]

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-29-2003 01:45 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I used to swim at the other, older Y but gave up the membership there because it was too expensive
I finally abandoned the nice big indoor pool at the Y for a sports club w/pool because the Y was scheduling more & more of those aggravating water aerobics sessions through the day.

You'd be enjoying a swim, then a boombox would blare out some incredibly brain-damaged oldies re-worked into disco versions in the manner of Sweatin' to the Oldies, the lady who is the sort of water aerobics DI would start yelling to the GERIATRIC ADULTS in that Romper Room story telling lady voice for children, all the people swimming in the other lanes would haul out at the end of the end of the lap to flee. The swimmers bolting from the water en masse looked like a human jubilee.

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-29-2003 03:01 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While staying in a motel in PA, the swimming pool was closed indefinitely. This was one of the indoor/outdoor pools with a tunnel under the plate glass window.

It appears that one of the drunken guests, when asked to leave the area, picked up a chair and threw it through the window to the outside pool. Lots of nasty glass shards on the bottom. (Very invisible to the eye but not good on the feet)

Don Bruechert
Mmmmmmmmm, bird!

- posted 08-30-2003 01:51 PM      Profile for Don Bruechert   Author's Homepage   Email Don Bruechert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This was the last season for our city pool, which has operated since I believe 1968. The excuse given was it was leaking in excess of 20,000 gallons of water a day and it was cost prohibitive to keep it running or repair it. Now that's a lot of water, and it just amazes me where all that water is supposed to be going... Hell... the whole city would be floating by now! They are talking about "possbily" replacing it with some kind of water park thing.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-30-2003 05:21 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I was a kid we were in the Harvey park swimming pool and we were all evacuated because a kid almost drown. Turned out later he died in the hospital (as I saw on the news).

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: